Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
So I will forgo all round sunshine, good customer service, free refills (DD said this) and many of the other thing I like about the US. For the NHS, much more balance politics, family and a sense of belonging. Plus all the other things I love about the UK, my Utopia:-)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
When people complain about customer service, I'm not sure what they mean.

I find the assistants in shops to be friendly and helpful. But they don't come over and hassle you while you're shopping, or wish you a nice day when you leave. Maybe that's the issue? (To me both those things are pluses!) But they do generally say 'hello love' and chat to you while ringing up your shopping. I also like how they never start ringing up the next person until you've left the till.

When you're in a restaurant or pub, most waiters will leave you alone while you're eating rather than popping over mid-meal to ask how everything is. I like that but perhaps that strikes some as rude?

When we had work done on our new house, the painter and the guy who was sanding the floor had to park their cars in the village and walk a mile uphill over the fields in order to get here and finish their work during the snowstorm. Both did it without complaint.

I haven't had much call to deal with phone support people so maybe they're a problem.
I like being left alone too, Louise. I am surprised, but delighted, to hear about the work ethic of your workmen. Now THAT'S something I sorely miss here and will be glad to see again!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

When people complain about customer service, I'm not sure what they mean.

I find the assistants in shops to be friendly and helpful. But they don't come over and hassle you while you're shopping, or wish you a nice day when you leave. Maybe that's the issue? (To me both those things are pluses!) But they do generally say 'hello love' and chat to you while ringing up your shopping. I also like how they never start ringing up the next person until you've left the till.

When you're in a restaurant or pub, most waiters will leave you alone while you're eating rather than popping over mid-meal to ask how everything is. I like that but perhaps that strikes some as rude?

When we had work done on our new house, the painter and the guy who was sanding the floor had to park their cars in the village and walk a mile uphill over the fields in order to get here and finish their work during the snowstorm. Both did it without complaint.

I haven't had much call to deal with phone support people so maybe they're a problem.
Is it hard to get out of the habit? I've noticed that since I've been living in the US, I became conditioned to say 'Have a great day' when leaving a shop.

I definitely agree with your post though...even Gordon Ramsay when he's in the US doing Kitchen Nightmares complains about the wait staff 'hovering' over him. I like the luxury of taking my time over things and not feel like I'm being constantly bothered by shop assistants asking 'Can I help you with anything'.

So if I get that time to myself I wouldn't consider it rude - I'd consider it heaven !!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Is it hard to get out of the habit? I've noticed that since I've been living in the US, I became conditioned to say 'Have a great day' when leaving a shop.

I definitely agree with your post though...even Gordon Ramsay when he's in the US doing Kitchen Nightmares complains about the wait staff 'hovering' over him. I like the luxury of taking my time over things and not feel like I'm being constantly bothered by shop assistants asking 'Can I help you with anything'.

So if I get that time to myself I wouldn't consider it rude - I'd consider it heaven !!
Ditto! It annoys me intensely. I'd prefer they leave me alone. If I want something, I know how to ask.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
Ditto! It annoys me intensely. I'd prefer they leave me alone. If I want something, I know how to ask.
Exactly ! My Mum thought me well ! It's like recently when a friend of mine was buying a new car. We have a running joke where we time the salesman to see how long it takes them to come bother us. It took on average about 2 minutes. No sooner did we get out of the car than someone was racing over. I mean really? Give us time to look around first okay??
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I never say "Have a great day" or similar words for two reasons. One, I don't want to be considered anything like American. Two, the words drive me nuts. I associate them with the American facade we experience every day here and stay well away!

Shop assistants couldn't care less if I or anyone else has a great day! (It is people in the grocery store or in shops that usually say it to me.)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:51 pm
Yorkshire Lass

I never say "Have a great day" or similar words for two reasons. One, I don't want to be considered anything like American. Two, the words drive me nuts. I associate them with the American facade we experience every day here and stay well away!

Shop assistants couldn't care less if I or anyone else has a great day! (It is people in the grocery store or in shops that usually say it to me.)
I'm slightly different in that regard. When I first got here and I was happily married and beginning my new life in the US, I 'wanted' to fit in. Even though I knew the staff saying 'have a nice day' etc was just like a script, and they didn't really care about you having a nice day, it still seemed to all be a part of living in America. People would ask me if I was from Boston, just because of the way I said car and carpark.. When told to 'have a great day' lead to me replying 'thanks - you too' and progressed to me wishing them a great day first. I didn't make a conscious effort to do it, it just happened.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think they have to say it or they get the sack. Really heartfelt
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm slightly different in that regard. When I first got here and I was happily married and beginning my new life in the US, I 'wanted' to fit in. Even though I knew the staff saying 'have a nice day' etc was just like a script, and they didn't really care about you having a nice day, it still seemed to all be a part of living in America. People would ask me if I was from Boston, just because of the way I said car and carpark.. When told to 'have a great day' lead to me replying 'thanks - you too' and progressed to me wishing them a great day first. I didn't make a conscious effort to do it, it just happened.
I understand completely
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:16 pm
Yorkshire Lass

I understand completely
Of course now I don't say it !
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:05 am
Just Joined

LostinJax is an unknown quantity at this point

The credit thing is just a function of being new in any country - but if you had opened an HSBC account before you left, a lot of it could have been avoided. (Good advice for anyone else planning to come home.)
That is a useful tip. One slight problem, there is no branch of HSBC within a 25-mile radius of where I live in the US. As yet, I haven't checked out whether it is possible to open an account on line.

I think you should also bear in mind that not everyone has had the financial and career success you have enjoyed in your time in the US or runs a business that can easily transfer from the US to the UK.

So while your move has gone swimmingly, and good for you, other people less fortunate than yourself may be struggling with the transition back to the UK.

With no job, soon to be divorced and nearly 60, I expect to struggle when I return and take a massive hit in my standard of living, being unable to own a house is just one example.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think they have to say it or they get the sack. Really heartfelt
While saying 'have a nice day' is commonly required of check out assistants in US, here in UK it is more likely to be an up-selling suggestion such as "Do you need a phone top up / postage stamps / cash-back / insurance for your goods.......? grrrr,
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly ! My Mum thought me well ! It's like recently when a friend of mine was buying a new car. We have a running joke where we time the salesman to see how long it takes them to come bother us. It took on average about 2 minutes. No sooner did we get out of the car than someone was racing over. I mean really? Give us time to look around first okay??
I don't see it as a big deal. It's just the way that Americans are, the way they expect things to be. Sure, maybe it isn't the way I am but I can't blame them because I am different to them. We expect cultures to be different if for instance we visited Japan or China so why not the US?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

"Have a good day" I'll have any kind of day I want!

"Did you find everything you were looking for"?
I think it is nice when they will take you to the item you couldn't find.

Management control employees by reminding them they are less of a human being hence these required greeting.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood the problem that people have with shop assistants merely being polite.

A lot of polite pleasantries aren't intended literally, and often aren't meant sincerely. Would you rather they told you to piss off, die a horrible death and never darken their doors again?

If they said nothing then people would complain about how unfriendly they are. These days you can't win for losing - why do we always have to find fault in other people? Sometimes we just need to get over ourselves and give hardworking, poorly paid shop assistants a break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.