Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:48 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hi UKWinds, I don't have those figures I'm afraid. I think it would vary depending on what type of house you mean - period property, modern house on an estate etc. We need 4 bedrooms and we also want a period home - not something on a housing estate. That pushes up the price of course.
Understand! I've been looking on rightmove and must say how nice Yorkshire looks. I particularly thought the town of York was interesting.Don't know much about the place but there certainly seems to be enough points of interest to keep a person entertained.Like the idea of being not too far from the countryside. A good price point as well for a decent selection appears to be slightly around 320K sterling. I hope you find the one house that feel like home
Old Jul 15th 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
A trip to the UK where I rode form London to Middlesbrough

http://wheelsofchance.org/england-2009/
Wow, just spent a last hour reading about your trip, amazing pics and an amazing experience.

Well done, whens the next one
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:14 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

UKWinds, York is lovely, but too touristy for me and also a little bit too hectic. I'm more of a country girl despite having spent the last 20+ years in big cities. Or maybe that's why - too much city life! My favorite towns, if it was just up to me, are Richmond up near Northumberland (seriously must be one of the most perfectly preserved historic towns in the UK) or Pateley Bridge. But since my husband really wants fast Internet access for our business, I don't think either are really possible.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 15th 2012 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
A trip to the UK where I rode form London to Middlesbrough

http://wheelsofchance.org/england-2009/
Super impressed - what a great trip, really enjoyed reading it..
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the kind words - I'm happy to share what I can because I know how I felt when I was in the US. I looked forward to details like a starving woman grabbing for scraps of food

I went into Ilkley today to meet a friend for lunch and took the chance to pop up to the moors for a few minutes. I honestly think Ilkley Moor is a magical place. The weather was utterly foul and yet this was my view. Really I think the moors are better in the grey weather!
Yes keep posting - I really enjoy reading about your observations and experiences. I agree the Moors are beautiful in the rain.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:09 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

UKWinds, York is lovely, but too touristy for me and also a little bit too hectic. I'm more of a country girl despite having spent the last 20+ years in big cities. Or maybe that's why - too much city life! My favorite towns, if it was just up to me, are Richmond up near Northumberland (seriously must be one of the most perfectly preserved historic towns in the UK) or Pateley Bridge. But since my husband really wants fast Internet access for our business, I don't think either are really possible.
Based on the many homes at Rightmove, hubby and you will not have to wait long before you find a great compromise in location and house. I saw a few houses near the Moors and boy was that picturesque. Something you'd expect to see on a postcard. I also saw several nice homes in knaresborough. Was interesting!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons,

Thanks so much for the wonderful update, I really appreciate the updates from people who have moved back. I'm loving your blog too, its so nice to see how happy you are.

Things were starting to line up for us but the property prices are proving to be a stumbling block. I've gone from certainty that I wanted to return to feeling very confused and not sure if will even be possible because of the cost of houses.

Its so great to be able to come here and read about BTDT experiences of those who have returned.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Sallysimmons,

Thanks so much for the wonderful update, I really appreciate the updates from people who have moved back. I'm loving your blog too, its so nice to see how happy you are.

Things were starting to line up for us but the property prices are proving to be a stumbling block. I've gone from certainty that I wanted to return to feeling very confused and not sure if will even be possible because of the cost of houses.

Its so great to be able to come here and read about BTDT experiences of those who have returned.
NiHao

What area of the UK are you wanting to move back to. House prices in the UK vary so much depending on the area.

I mentioned on another thread that my house in Lincolnshire is worth approx £145,000 and EXCACTLY same house down South is up for £325,000.

Maybe considering a different location would mean more affordable housing would be available.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Homeiswheretheheartis,

We are lucky to have some flexibility on where we move to. My husband's job means we need to be not too far from an airport, preferably not too much more than an hour drive (or train connection would work).

I've been looking at towns and villages (don't want to live in a city) approx an hour from Birmingham, Bristol or Manchester airports (had a quick look near Edinburgh airport but it was pricey). I know Bristol a bit but Birmingham I've been to a total of twice in my life and I've never been to Manchester.

We have children so decent schools is a very high priority.

I've worn myself out looking on rightmove and then checking the maps and the school ratings on ofsted. We were living in Buckinghamshire before and really liked it there (and the proximity to London) but couldn't afford it there now and actually wouldn't want to move there as it would feel like such a backward step.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis,

We are lucky to have some flexibility on where we move to. My husband's job means we need to be not too far from an airport, preferably not too much more than an hour drive (or train connection would work).

I've been looking at towns and villages (don't want to live in a city) approx an hour from Birmingham, Bristol or Manchester airports (had a quick look near Edinburgh airport but it was pricey). I know Bristol a bit but Birmingham I've been to a total of twice in my life and I've never been to Manchester.

I've worn myself out looking on rightmove and then checking the maps and the school ratings on ofsted. We were living in Buckinghamshire before and really liked it there (and the proximity to London) but couldn't afford it there now and actually wouldn't want to move there as it would feel like such a backward step.
NiHao

Thats alot to consider, especially the schools, how old are your children?

I know the north better as I'm from the North West and have family that live in Chorley and Manchester.

I do know that Manchester Airport is easy to get to from the M56 and it takes about 45mins from Chorley. There are lots of nice towns around that area that aren't as expensive as Manchester itself.

I understand how hard it is regarding schools, we chose a school here in the US before we arrived. It was a private one, but when we arrived we weren't impressed and chose the local school instead. If you read on paper the private school would be the better choice, but the local has been better for my kids.

Good luck with your search.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Homeiswheretheheartis,

You could even be on the Wales side of the border and still be an hour from Manchester airport (or less)
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Homeiswheretheheartis,

Depending on what flights to where is needed by your husband then proximity to Stansted, especially to the North in East Anglia (Norfolk / Suffolk, Cambridgeshire), may be of interest to you. Trains run through Cambridge / Ely from Birmingham to Stansted, with Ely connections to Norwich-London line and there are good road links from East Anglia to Stansted.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MITFH & J.JsOH,

Thank you both for the suggestions, much appreciated.

I did look at Wales but the houses that I liked/could afford seemed to all be in areas that were a bit too isolated for us and the schools in those areas didn't have good ratings.

J.JsOH, I forgot to mention Stansted but yes that is another area I've been looking at and some parts are more affordable. I've been trying to get the train routes figured out so good to know about Ely.

I think bottom line the less expensive areas in the UK are still a lot more expensive than where we are living in the US.

Thanks again to you both and also to Homeiswheretheheartis
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:16 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

It's taken me 3 years to get here and sometimes I genuinely thought it would never happen, but coming home has been everything I could have hoped for.
Nice one sally !! really enjoyed your update.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:26 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Some fantastic pictures on your blog by the way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.