Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Whatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really nice
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

How lovely to read about your experiences since you have been back. I am so happy for you. We have 18 more days to go !!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 5:46 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic Sally. You really have got to grips with British life and seem to be enjoying all the aspects of it that I enjoy too. I'm a keen theatre goer which was very limited on Vancouver Island (although some excellent amateur dramatics were around). I recently took some of my students down to see War Horse and had an afternoon watching street theatre at Covent Garden...and eating crepes...and a rather expensive but lovely glass of wine. It was great fun.

I'm so, so glad you're happy and enjoying life. It must be very heartening for others waiting to make the move or missing home. It's not always bells and whistles, especially on grey days but there's nothing like family and friendship to make a memorable and meaningful day.

Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons. Thank you for your posts. I for one look forward to them. They are always full of interesting tidbits. I have said the same on your finger roll blog but I am very envious and definitely living vicariously through your experiences right now. Please keep them coming. And photos are always appreciated, at least by me of the lovely scenery.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:35 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sallysimmons, I really enjoy your posts also. I'm glad you are happy to be home you seem to be having a great time!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 5:59 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the kind words - I'm happy to share what I can because I know how I felt when I was in the US. I looked forward to details like a starving woman grabbing for scraps of food

I went into Ilkley today to meet a friend for lunch and took the chance to pop up to the moors for a few minutes. I honestly think Ilkley Moor is a magical place. The weather was utterly foul and yet this was my view. Really I think the moors are better in the grey weather!
Attached Thumbnails Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away-ilkleymoor.jpg  
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks guys for the kind words - I'm happy to share what I can because I know how I felt when I was in the US. I looked forward to details like a starving woman grabbing for scraps of food

I went into Ilkley today to meet a friend for lunch and took the chance to pop up to the moors for a few minutes. I honestly think Ilkley Moor is a magical place. The weather was utterly foul and yet this was my view. Really I think the moors are better in the grey weather!
Perfect. I have said it before...here in Nebraska by the Sea, aka as San Diego the weather is a beautiful mid 70's day, sun is shining, sky is blue but I would rather be taking in that beautiful grey view of Yorkshire any day. I must be mad! Already a screensaver, thank you
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of moving back to N.Yorks. I'm originally from Middlesbrough, but I'm looking at Richmond. I may move a bit further north as there are good deals and great scenery in Weardale.....towns like Wolsingham.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

A trip to the UK where I rode form London to Middlesbrough

http://wheelsofchance.org/england-2009/
Old Jul 10th 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

we spent many happy summers with the caravan club at The Strid near Bolton Abbey- so happy for you Sally and your hubby- good luck to you!!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:51 am
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there are quite a few people on BE, who like me,don't post very often,but are regular readers and very much appreciate your honest,informative posts.
I can relate to a lot of your feelings of being absolutely sh*t scared about returning after a long absence,and I can only hope our return ( if it ever happens ) is as rewarding as it is for you.Long may you continue to enjoy it. York, Harrogate,etc.. always appealed to me ( read tooooooo many Herriot books lol ) But both from Manchester, so its there we are aiming for.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:52 am
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aliceinoz
I think there are quite a few people on BE, who like me,don't post very often,but are regular readers and very much appreciate your honest,informative posts.
I can relate to a lot of your feelings of being absolutely sh*t scared about returning after a long absence,and I can only hope our return ( if it ever happens ) is as rewarding as it is for you.Long may you continue to enjoy it. York, Harrogate,etc.. always appealed to me ( read tooooooo many Herriot books lol ) But both from Manchester, so its there we are aiming for.
Sorry If I confused anyone............this was meant for the original poster.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:57 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Housing: We're renting and have just started to think about where we ultimately want to live. This area of Yorkshire is expensive and we couldn't afford the kind of house I really want here, so our dilemma is whether to go for a house that's smaller than we need but here in this lovely part of the world, or to move somewhere less expensive where the surroundings are not as nice. Just 30 miles can mean prices that are 40% lower for the same house.
Hi sally

You sound to be having the time of your life. So nice to hear.Can I ask what price range is the average 3bd 2bth house in your 1st then 2nd target areas? Is that the type size of home you're after?

Thanks

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:59 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
A trip to the UK where I rode form London to Middlesbrough

http://wheelsofchance.org/england-2009/
Just read your blog about your cycling trip wow what a feat - really nice blog with pics - loved your descriptions - makes me long for England
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:33 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Just read your blog about your cycling trip wow what a feat - really nice blog with pics - loved your descriptions - makes me long for England
Thanks, but the cycling wasn't that much of an accomplishment. If I can do it anyone can......so if it encourages people to ride a bike I'll be happy.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 8:26 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi UKWinds, I don't have those figures I'm afraid. I think it would vary depending on what type of house you mean - period property, modern house on an estate etc. We need 4 bedrooms and we also want a period home - not something on a housing estate. That pushes up the price of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.