Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:45 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

I've been back home for 3 months now so I figured it was time for an update.

I can't believe it's finally my turn to write one of these but I drew comfort, inspiration and assistance from so many others who made the move successfully (and those who struggled for one reason or another) for 3 years before my turn came. If it wasn't for this site and all the wonderful people who take the time to share their experiences, I don't think I would have made such an easy transition back to the UK. Thanks to everyone for that.

I lived in Canada and America for over 20 years and wasn't sure what to expect when I got back. I'd heard the horror stories about hooligans and chavs and hoodies and benefits scroungers and crime and on and on and on. I'd read the experiences of people who felt England had changed beyond all recognition, and those who felt they themselves had changed too much to settle back in. I suspected these wouldn't apply to me, but I couldn't be sure having only ever visited England for very brief spells over the years.

But now I'm here, I'm happy to say that arriving home was like slipping into a pair of comfortable old jeans. I haven't been this happy for a long time.

We are very fortunate in that we run our own web-based business and therefore didn't need to find work. We are also lucky that we maintained a strong network of family and friends while we were away and they have welcomed us back as though we never left. Finally, we are fortunate that our house sold at a profit and therefore we were not struggling financially on our return. I think all these things have made our transition much easier than it might otherwise be.

We chose to come back to my home county of Yorkshire, but to live in an area we hadn't previously known. I'm from West Yorkshire, but we're now in the prettier and more affluent North Yorkshire. It makes a real difference. I know many people who've never been up here think the north is grim, and some parts of it are, but IMO, North Yorkshire truly is God's own country as the saying goes. I think my husband will have a fight to ever get me to leave again

We've found everyone to be super-friendly. We've had only 2 experiences of poor customer service (and one was just clueless rather than intentionally bad) despite doing enough shopping to basically kit out an entire house from scratch. Our neighbors on either side are friendly and helpful. I absolutely love how everyone calls you 'love.' I missed that friendly warmth! And I adore how easy it is to have a laugh with a complete stranger.

We witnessed public drunkenness for the first time last night at a concert, but it was nothing that spoiled our evening and we haven't experienced it at any other time because we don't go into town on weekend nights though.

We see no litter or dog dirt in this area. I guess they're just very good at cleaning up.

Money: Most things here are cheaper for us (We thought our first gas bill was a mistake!). We needed serious vet services for one of our cats soon after landing back and it cost about 40% of what the same treatment would have cost back home (and thankfully the cat has made a full recovery). Our council tax is a third of our old property taxes. And of course we don't spend $1500 a month on healthcare insurance anymore which is a nice bonus.

Food seems to cost about the same. Petrol is more expensive of course.

Culture and history: We're art buffs and we've made the most of being back already, visiting local galleries and discovering a wonderful artist/asparagus farmer just down the road. We have a nice theatre in the nearest town and easy access to Leeds and York for larger stuff.

Leisure: We both love the countryside so we've begun to explore Nidderdale and will soon branch out to the other Dales. (Pictures on my blog here http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...s-own-country/).

Healthcare: It was easy to register at the local doctor and I got an appointment the same day, and was given the migraine medication I need without any hassle. Nice after the US where I had to prise it out of the hands of my insurance company.

Housing: We're renting and have just started to think about where we ultimately want to live. This area of Yorkshire is expensive and we couldn't afford the kind of house I really want here, so our dilemma is whether to go for a house that's smaller than we need but here in this lovely part of the world, or to move somewhere less expensive where the surroundings are not as nice. Just 30 miles can mean prices that are 40% lower for the same house.

Benefits scroungers: This one I don't get at all. Unless you happen to live next door to one, I can't see how it affects daily life. But as my brother was unemployed for nearly a year, and got sick during that time. I'm endlessly grateful for the benefits that kept him going. He finally found a good job and is back on his feet but without that help, I dread to think where he'd be (probably in my spare room )

My husband: He initially didn't want to come back and slowly came round. Now that he's back, he's genuinely happy. I am very relieved about this.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. I'll just end by saying that for me the biggest change about coming back is that I now always have something to look forward to. Last night we went to a concert with my husband's best friend. Tonight my best friend and his partner are coming over for dinner. Tomorrow we're going to spend the day up in the Dales where I'll be able to do some sketching, on Tuesday I'm meeting another pal for lunch, and in 2 weeks I'm taking my mum up into the northern Dales to stay in a nice hotel for her birthday. These are the things I've longed to be able to do and I have to pinch myself to make sure it's really happening.

It's taken me 3 years to get here and sometimes I genuinely thought it would never happen, but coming home has been everything I could have hoped for.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:55 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Yes coming back is so refreshing, nothing like going back to your roots. I do enjoy being back also, though London for me has changed in a big way.
The only thing that bugs me is the low salary for unskilled work, it feels like you are working for charity. If they raised the minimum wage, I sure this country would have a better chance of getting out of this recession.

As for buying property, arent the property prices falling in the north, I thought only London was going against the trend.

Anyway goodluck for the future.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:29 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Panhandle for the kind words.

No, property prices are not falling everywhere (although even if they were to fall here they'd need to fall a LONG way for me to get the house I want ). There are pockets of high prices in any part of the country and it's my bad luck to have chosen one of them! Here's a recent article about spa towns in the North - we're in the Harrogate area, but I'd love to live in Ilkley, Boston Spa, or Knaresborough - all the towns where prices have risen tons over the last 10 years!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you are enjoying being home, your findings seem to echo our own. Like you we have found 99% of people to be very friendly and helpful. When I am working outside the house I am being stopped every 10 minutes by someone wanting a chat
The thing that really amazes us is the incredible variety of food available here compared to Australia and the quality is 1st class. I was told to expect the fresh food to be anything but fresh and supermarket fruit and veg was almost inedible
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like all is going very well.
After 22 years I'd wondered what kinds of hiccoughs you'd have, but it appears the only one seems to be house prices in a favored area. Even with that, you may well come across something that would suit you well in the right price range.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thanks so much for the update! Because I've had a setback in my return date I live vicariously through those who have returned. Its great to hear the good report. I can't wait until I'm home. Until then, I'll keep reading the wonderful updates of those who have returned home
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, wonderful cheery and honest post! I am having to wait the 3 years until hubby retires, because he does not even want to consider leaving Canada until then, so it is uplifting to know that the wait is so worth it. I know your area well, not that I lived there but I worked for a cheese company (very small) based in Kirby Malzeard and used to travel from where I lived in Buckinghamshire monthly, initially I drove (with my little dog who slept in the car) and used to tag a weekend onto my trip so I could explore the area on my own unfortunately as I was then single, but after a while I started commuting by train and always came through York, then the slow train to Harrogate and was picked up by one of the factory staff. In 2000 I seriously thought of buying a small cottage there and could get one for about GBP48000, but worried about having a mortgage, just as well I did not because the company I worked for were taken over by Wensleydale! My friends all loved my cheese samples shipped down to me monthly to take out to the different buyers of supermarkets and other customers. How I miss that cheese now! So your post and blog brings back such good memories and I know that I must just be patient!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I can't believe it's finally my turn to write one of these but I drew comfort, inspiration and assistance from so many others who made the move successfully (and those who struggled for one reason or another) for 3 years before my turn came. If it wasn't for this site and all the wonderful people who take the time to share their experiences, I don't think I would have made such an easy transition back to the UK. Thanks to everyone for that.

I lived in Canada and America for over 20 years and wasn't sure what to expect when I got back. I'd heard the horror stories about hooligans and chavs and hoodies and benefits scroungers and crime and on and on and on. I'd read the experiences of people who felt England had changed beyond all recognition, and those who felt they themselves had changed too much to settle back in. I suspected these wouldn't apply to me, but I couldn't be sure having only ever visited England for very brief spells over the years.

But now I'm here, I'm happy to say that arriving home was like slipping into a pair of comfortable old jeans. I haven't been this happy for a long time.

We are very fortunate in that we run our own web-based business and therefore didn't need to find work. We are also lucky that we maintained a strong network of family and friends while we were away and they have welcomed us back as though we never left. Finally, we are fortunate that our house sold at a profit and therefore we were not struggling financially on our return. I think all these things have made our transition much easier than it might otherwise be.

We chose to come back to my home county of Yorkshire, but to live in an area we hadn't previously known. I'm from West Yorkshire, but we're now in the prettier and more affluent North Yorkshire. It makes a real difference. I know many people who've never been up here think the north is grim, and some parts of it are, but IMO, North Yorkshire truly is God's own country as the saying goes. I think my husband will have a fight to ever get me to leave again

We've found everyone to be super-friendly. We've had only 2 experiences of poor customer service (and one was just clueless rather than intentionally bad) despite doing enough shopping to basically kit out an entire house from scratch. Our neighbors on either side are friendly and helpful. I absolutely love how everyone calls you 'love.' I missed that friendly warmth! And I adore how easy it is to have a laugh with a complete stranger.

We witnessed public drunkenness for the first time last night at a concert, but it was nothing that spoiled our evening and we haven't experienced it at any other time because we don't go into town on weekend nights though.

We see no litter or dog dirt in this area. I guess they're just very good at cleaning up.

Money: Most things here are cheaper for us (We thought our first gas bill was a mistake!). We needed serious vet services for one of our cats soon after landing back and it cost about 40% of what the same treatment would have cost back home (and thankfully the cat has made a full recovery). Our council tax is a third of our old property taxes. And of course we don't spend $1500 a month on healthcare insurance anymore which is a nice bonus.

Food seems to cost about the same. Petrol is more expensive of course.

Culture and history: We're art buffs and we've made the most of being back already, visiting local galleries and discovering a wonderful artist/asparagus farmer just down the road. We have a nice theatre in the nearest town and easy access to Leeds and York for larger stuff.

Leisure: We both love the countryside so we've begun to explore Nidderdale and will soon branch out to the other Dales. (Pictures on my blog here http://fingerrollsandfoldingchairs.w...s-own-country/).

Healthcare: It was easy to register at the local doctor and I got an appointment the same day, and was given the migraine medication I need without any hassle. Nice after the US where I had to prise it out of the hands of my insurance company.

Housing: We're renting and have just started to think about where we ultimately want to live. This area of Yorkshire is expensive and we couldn't afford the kind of house I really want here, so our dilemma is whether to go for a house that's smaller than we need but here in this lovely part of the world, or to move somewhere less expensive where the surroundings are not as nice. Just 30 miles can mean prices that are 40% lower for the same house.

Benefits scroungers: This one I don't get at all. Unless you happen to live next door to one, I can't see how it affects daily life. But as my brother was unemployed for nearly a year, and got sick during that time. I'm endlessly grateful for the benefits that kept him going. He finally found a good job and is back on his feet but without that help, I dread to think where he'd be (probably in my spare room )

My husband: He initially didn't want to come back and slowly came round. Now that he's back, he's genuinely happy. I am very relieved about this.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. I'll just end by saying that for me the biggest change about coming back is that I now always have something to look forward to. Last night we went to a concert with my husband's best friend. Tonight my best friend and his partner are coming over for dinner. Tomorrow we're going to spend the day up in the Dales where I'll be able to do some sketching, on Tuesday I'm meeting another pal for lunch, and in 2 weeks I'm taking my mum up into the northern Dales to stay in a nice hotel for her birthday. These are the things I've longed to be able to do and I have to pinch myself to make sure it's really happening.

It's taken me 3 years to get here and sometimes I genuinely thought it would never happen, but coming home has been everything I could have hoped for.

Hello Love (lol)

Congratulations to you both for making the move. I love hearing people's stories and how the transition has been easy. Happiness is important and it appears that you have achieved this in bundles.

I wish you and your husband many years of future happiness.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:21 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I know your area well, not that I lived there but I worked for a cheese company (very small) based in Kirby Malzeard and used to travel from where I lived in Buckinghamshire monthly, initially I drove (with my little dog who slept in the car) and used to tag a weekend onto my trip so I could explore the area on my own unfortunately as I was then single, but after a while I started commuting by train and always came through York, then the slow train to Harrogate and was picked up by one of the factory staff. In 2000 I seriously thought of buying a small cottage there and could get one for about GBP48000, but worried about having a mortgage, just as well I did not because the company I worked for were taken over by Wensleydale! My friends all loved my cheese samples shipped down to me monthly to take out to the different buyers of supermarkets and other customers. How I miss that cheese now! So your post and blog brings back such good memories and I know that I must just be patient!
That cottage would have been worth a bit now! Did Wensleydale keep making the cheese? If so, I'll have to look for it and buy some.

Thanks Brigette and Back2Uk. Brigette, sorry that your move has been put back. What happened? (If I'm not being too nosy).
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:34 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally,

Thanks for the update. I am so pleased that you are fitting right back in.
I hope I will be able to provide such a positive post in the future.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sallysimmons;10161364]That cottage would have been worth a bit now! Did Wensleydale keep making the cheese? If so, I'll have to look for it and buy some.

I believe that they did carry on with some of them, look out for one called "Fountains Gold" cheddar which is creamy and wonderful they may have changed the name. They also had machines that made lots of little excruded rounds of cheese for Christmas time. Red Leicester with Pecans was my favourite. At Christmas a store near us carries a few of these English Cheeses and my hubby and I usually treat ourselves! Yes that cottage would have been worth something but in hindsight if I lost job I would have not gone there anymore and found it difficult to sell. We did keep our house in Marlow Bucks which is rented out and we have decided that the easiest would be to move back into it in 3 years time when we come back, hubby is getting used to the idea that I am terribly unhappy here, and if he wants a happy wife he will have to carry on fishing in UK !
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely that you are enjoying being home. My family are from Yorkshire although I was born in Devon I am the only one who was born there. The rest of the family on Dad's side was born in Scotland. We are on our way on Saturday with a stop over in the USA for a week and so I may be able to have a positive post like this soon. So happy for you and I did pop to your blog and looked at the lovely pics of yorkshire there which were fab.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update sally so happy for you that it is all working out!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

hearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant futurehearthandhome has a brilliant future

Congratulations and Welcome Home. You give me hope that I'm not signing up my family for the hardest adjustment ever. I've only been in the States for 10ish years but as I watch the prices of houses in the areas I know well/like immensely are through the roof despite my mothers dire warnings about the market and economy (fortunately I'm not worried by her tales because I have an idea that in many respects the same could be said of anywhere) I'm glad that you are home and happy. Hopefully I'll be saying the same inside of 6 mo
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Thanks so much for the update, it's these type of things that help others yet to make the move. And I appreciate your kind words towards others who post in this forum, it's why we created BE in the first place, so that we could all help each other, and I love seeing posts like these where it all comes together for someone.

Congrats on the move back and I hope things continue to go well for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.