Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back for 3 months and not enjoying it

Back for 3 months and not enjoying it

Old May 20th 2018, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back for 3 months and not enjoying it

Hello all,

Just a quick update, arrived back in the UK on the 26th of March and it's been quite a stressful time. The place I had fell through at the last minute so I was left scrambling to find another, viewed about 25 properties and ended up having to settle for a shared place (for ease of commuting to work and a very trustworthy landlord, unlike the countless scam artist letting agents I had the displeasure of meeting with) unfortunately the noise from the upstairs flat has resulted in many sleepless nights and the pay schedule at my new job has left me feeling like I'm on an episode of rich house poor house.

So now I've spent this weekend thinking about whether I want to stay or not. I can hop a flight back to Canada for £200, have a place to stay and can likely go back to my old employer. I love the environment here, the history, connecting with family members. But I honestly feel like the novelty has worn off and that I gave up far too much to come here. Has anyone else had these sentiments ?
Old May 20th 2018, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back for 3 months and not enjoying it

So sorry to hear this. It seems as if a series of unfortunate events has derailed your settling in. I would caution you to give it a little more time, however. We have a tendency to idealise our return home during the build up and transition, and any disappointment gets blown way out of proportion. We've been back just over a year, and during that time I have second guessed our decision more than once. It helps if you take the position that you need to give it time. Obviously, if you might want to return to previous employment, your time may be limited, but perhaps you could contact your previous employer and discuss your situation. For immediate relief, you obviously need to find somewhere else to live. You mentioned family. Is there anyone who could help you out temporarily with accommodation? Wishing you the very best of luck.
Old May 20th 2018, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Freshwhyte- I was thinking of you just the other day and hoping that things were working out well for you. So sorry to hear that is not the case. I don’t even know what to say as I know how much you were looking forward to going to Scotland. Sending you my best wishes.
Old May 22nd 2018, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

You know it may just be the unfortunate accommodation circumstances which have made you feel like this.
Sounds like finding another place to live would be the best course for now.
Its always hard moving from one culture to another and when things don't go right at first it makes it even harder.
Remember the reasons you did leave Canada to start with and focus on the positive aspects.
Old May 22nd 2018, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Freshwhyte,

Just sent you a PM and I think I may have accidentally sent it twice. Best wishes
Old May 22nd 2018, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

no pm in my inbox.