Back 11 months today!

Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:59 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back 11 months today!

Hello one and all!

Well looked at the date today and was so shocked to realise that I have been back in the UK nearly a year now - I have NO idea where the time has gone! Have been catching up with all your posts this morning and am really happy to see lots of people are settling in back and some people are due to make the move soon so good luck to all of you and fingers crossed it works out for you!

Ok so how have things been going for me? Well all in all pretty good, not perfect of course but still, I am happy to be back and think it was the best thing for me.

Still think being near my family is the best thing ever, I spend a lot of time with my sister and we have a lot of fun together - its still feels so good to be silly and just laugh and laugh til my sides hurt!

My Dad had a bit of a health scare a few weeks back and was in hospital but he is going to be ok, its not as serious as they first thought and I was happy to be here and support him and my Mum when they needed me. My sister and I have hired a cottage and car in Ireland and bought the plane tickets so we are all off for our first family holiday in years next week, will be fun just hanging out together and exploring. My sister and I are off to Dublin for 2 days so we can go out, party and give the Olds a bit of time out lol!

Being able to travel more both easily and cheaply is one of the best things about being back as well, I took my Mum to Paris for 3 days in March, off to France again in July and I'm going sailing round the Greek Islands in Sept. Next year I'd love to visit San Francisco and have a summer holiday to Ibiza - I'm trying to pace myself and not spend too much money!

Work is going well, I'm happy being at sea and my contract is on going for now. I have given up the 999 work completely now as I just cannot cope with the stress of working for the NHS anymore. I don't miss it one little bit and its so nice getting regular sleep, regular meals and not being flogged for 12+ hours then having to drive 60+ miles home feeling ill and falling asleep at the wheel. I have lost over a stone in weight now and finally, I am back into my old clothes and feeling much happier and more confident.

Working on the ships is fine, been a steep learning curve for me but I'm doing ok and have managed to not stuff up too much! Our captain is a miserable sod though and he's shouted at me a few times but I just tell him to stop being such an ass and it seems to work lol! Small price to pay though and I might go to another ship in a few months anyways so all good there. I have been all over the place with work which has been unreal - Romania, India, Oman, Egypt - stayed in an incredible 5* hotel in Mumbai for two days before our last trip - had to pinch myself as I swam in the infinity pool thinking OMG I am at WORK!!!!!

I am hoping to clear my mortgage or reduce it significantly in the next 18 months so eventually I will give up the ships (if being away gets too much for me) and get a job with the 111 phone service. I'd only have to do 2 days a week and maybe I could finally get a little dog which I have always wanted to do! I always have to have a back up plan - just in case

Well as always there have been some bad things too and its same same as before - hate the traffic here, people moan so much and my friends are still far and few between. I have now just given up trying with certain friends who don't make the effort with me. I did keep plugging away for a long time as yes, I was the one who went away, but then the constant rejection and always dancing to their tune just upset me so much I felt it was best to walk away in the end. Once I stopped calling and trying to arrange meet ups I felt relieved to be honest, I tried my best but finally I'd just had enough!

I am going to see friends in Portsmouth (whom I met in Oz!) when I get back from Ireland then two Brit friends who returned from Oz in Jan and live in Dorset then I'm off to see a new friend I made when I was on one of my courses, a girl who was staying in the same B&B as me. She's a really nice girl and works on a big country estate, lots of dogs and horses, and she is so much fun so looking forward to catching up with her again.

My depression is better but it still haunts me so now I just accept it happens and try to deal with it day to day. Sometimes I go for a walk, sometimes I just cozy up on the sofa with a cuppa and a movie some days I just have a bloody good cry. Doing more exercise (have started running!), losing weight and avoiding alcohol has made a huge difference too, I still have the odd glass of wine when I am out but generally I avoid the booze now as it just makes me feel awful the next day!

So lessons learnt? Well here's my take on things!

Driving in the UK is a pain - stuck in traffic a lot and parking is a nightmare!

Friends - yes, make the effort, but when it becomes a chore and they don't reciprocate after a year do yourself a favour - walk away

Your mind will play tricks on you - I came home from work in Feb and it was so miserable, I didn't go out much and found myself wondering if I'd made a big mistake. Now? The sun is shining and I'm thinking silly me!!!

Wherever you go you take yourself with you - moving countries and returning home won't fix all your problems, BUT it is good to have support from close friends and family if and when you need it.

British people moan a lot - drives me mad! The Brit sailors I work with are the worst for whinging but they are also the funniest rascals going! Its hard not to get dragged into it though, now and again I find myself joining in and I think STOP and I remove myself from the whingers and go hang out with the Filipinos who are consistently cheerful, work harder than anyone else and never complain about anything!

Well thats about it now from me, think what I am trying to say is you will have good days and bad days - thats only natural - but you just have to step back look at the bigger picture. Life IS what you make of it to a certain degree and for me personally I think the UK is a pretty good place to live overall - I am a lot happier than I was a year ago!!! Cheers everyone!

Last edited by MissBetty; Apr 28th 2014 at 10:45 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 11 months today!

Fantastic update!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

MissBetty!

So glad things are going great for you. Lucky you in the fancy hotel in Mumbai regarding driving back home that's something I don't think I'm going to get used to. I am however looking forward to the frequency of travel that I will be able to do.

Thanks for the post and it's always lovely to read. Really enjoyed the lessons learned.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty, so great to hear from you and I am so pleased that life is treating you well, especially in Mumbai! LOL

I know what you mean about the moaning. It is not too bad around here, but sometimes people go on about things I think are insignificant. Winter really has been a non event in my neck of the woods, but to listen some people you would think it had been a bad one. The one that really got me was on the radio. People moaning about the cost to take the little darlings on a package holiday during school holidays. I say try soggy Rothesay or stay at home like we did in the olden days. Rant over!!!

Hope you have a brilliant time in Ireland and I'm sure you will love the craic (sp?)
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy your posts but cannot believe you have been in UK for nearly a year. Your job sounds interesting and your skills can be used in many different areas. I think I would move back if I could do what I do now or something else. I go back for 6 weeks this summer and that should help me in many ways make decisions etc. All the best...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello one and all!

........I am hoping to clear my mortgage or reduce it significantly in the next 18 months so eventually I will give up the ships (if being away gets too much for me) and get a job with the 111 phone service. I'd only have to do 2 days a week and maybe I could finally get a little dog which I have always wanted to do! I always have to have a back up plan - just in case

Does that mean you will have to wear an athletics vest and a droopy moustache? Or am I thinking of another number?

Glad everything is going well!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering where you'd gone ! Glad to see you are still around.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Does that mean you will have to wear an athletics vest and a droopy moustache? Or am I thinking of another number?

Enjoyed the update - seems things are going well on balance Miss Betty

(also can't believe it's 11 months!)
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:39 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty might not have seen the 118 118 phone directory service ads from a few years ago in Britain. (They were good 'though.)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 29th 2014 at 3:40 am. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:58 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone and thanks for the kind replies - much appreciated as always! I roared with laughter at Dunroving's comment

No, 111 is the new NHS Direct service, good dosh too at £25 per hour, boring I should imagine but ok for two days a week when Miss B is ready to hang up the stethoscope lol!

Mind you I'd rather work for 118 - better uniform ha ha ha!!!!

Funny thing is I was walking into town yesterday along the seafront, having a ponder, and you know I didn't realise just how emotional it would be coming back. In some ways everything is just the same as it ever was but I've changed so much that things will never be the same again. It's hard to put it into words really but I certainly wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster of returning from overseas. Ok I'm rambling now but I was just wondering do any other returnees have some thoughts on this???

Happy to 'see' you all again - you'll always be my 'other' family! xx
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Miss Betty might not have seen the 118 118 phone directory service ads from a few years ago in Britain. (They were good 'though.)
Adverts are still going on..
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone and thanks for the kind replies - much appreciated as always! I roared with laughter at Dunroving's comment

No, 111 is the new NHS Direct service, good dosh too at £25 per hour, boring I should imagine but ok for two days a week when Miss B is ready to hang up the stethoscope lol!

Mind you I'd rather work for 118 - better uniform ha ha ha!!!!

Funny thing is I was walking into town yesterday along the seafront, having a ponder, and you know I didn't realise just how emotional it would be coming back. In some ways everything is just the same as it ever was but I've changed so much that things will never be the same again. It's hard to put it into words really but I certainly wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster of returning from overseas. Ok I'm rambling now but I was just wondering do any other returnees have some thoughts on this???

Happy to 'see' you all again - you'll always be my 'other' family! xx
After 23 years away, it didn't feel like "coming home" to me, no real sense of nostalgia. Not overwhelmed nor underwhelmed.

Then again, I did leave in 1983 to escape the difficult job market and depressed economy in 1983. After growing up in a council flat, anything else seemed an improvement.

Plus, I am living way north of anywhere I lived before and Scotland often feels like much more of a foreign country than the US ever did!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:11 am
Practical Paramedic

After 23 years away, it didn't feel like "coming home" to me, no real sense of nostalgia. Not overwhelmed nor underwhelmed.

Then again, I did leave in 1983 to escape the difficult job market and depressed economy in 1983. After growing up in a council flat, anything else seemed an improvement.

Plus, I am living way north of anywhere I lived before and Scotland often feels like much more of a foreign country than the US ever did!
23 years away is quite a stretch but yes, can see why you left in 1983, that was the year I left school and I remember the job market being really tough.

I like living where I do atm but now and again I do wonder if I should try living somewhere else in the UK? I've always loved the North, especially Yorkshire, people are so friendly and the house prices are so much better than here, I could finally afford a little house with a garden which I can't here.

I do have days when I miss Oz, not Queensland as I hated it there, but Perth where I grew up is somewhere I will always love. I have no regrets - either moving back to Oz or moving back here it's just it's not as black and white as I thought it would be - I often wonder if I'll ever feel settled again or am I cursed with a gypsy soul lol!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:56 pm
Ping-ponger

23 years away is quite a stretch but yes, can see why you left in 1983, that was the year I left school and I remember the job market being really tough.

I like living where I do atm but now and again I do wonder if I should try living somewhere else in the UK? I've always loved the North, especially Yorkshire, people are so friendly and the house prices are so much better than here, I could finally afford a little house with a garden which I can't here.

I do have days when I miss Oz, not Queensland as I hated it there, but Perth where I grew up is somewhere I will always love. I have no regrets - either moving back to Oz or moving back here it's just it's not as black and white as I thought it would be - I often wonder if I'll ever feel settled again or am I cursed with a gypsy soul lol!
Did you watch Countryfile this week? It was set in Yorkshire. Matt Baker and whatever that fluffy blonde gal's name is were having a competition to see who could clock up the most things from Yorkshire's Top 100 (or something; I missed the start). It was quite enjoyable.

I think Yorkshire has a lot of variety going for it, from hills and dales to coast to city. Sheffield seems to get a lot of good reviews. It's about the furthest north I would consider settling after I retire. I really wanted to catch the start of the Tour this year (I know someone who lives in the area), but I think work will get in the way.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:23 pm
Practical Paramedic

Did you watch Countryfile this week? It was set in Yorkshire. Matt Baker and whatever that fluffy blonde gal's name is were having a competition to see who could clock up the most things from Yorkshire's Top 100 (or something; I missed the start). It was quite enjoyable.

I think Yorkshire has a lot of variety going for it, from hills and dales to coast to city. Sheffield seems to get a lot of good reviews. It's about the furthest north I would consider settling after I retire. I really wanted to catch the start of the Tour this year (I know someone who lives in the area), but I think work will get in the way.
Actually I did watch it and I was thinking how fantastic it looks up there! I'd never thought about Sheffield tbh but I just had a look online and it does seem to have a lot going for it plus its very central isn't it for Manchester/Leeds/York, after living in Oz I think anything within an hour's drive is reasonable though!

It pains me when I look on line and see two bed terrace houses for around £50,000 - I could sell my place tomorrow and buy outright - one can only dream!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.