Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 1 Year yesterday!! sorry for the delay!!!

Back 1 Year yesterday!! sorry for the delay!!!

Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Back 1 Year yesterday!! sorry for the delay!!!

Hi everyone, Well yesterday was one year since I landed at Heathrow, (it was 0 dgrees!) off to the ARC to collect my cat and off I went. I apologise for my dreadful lack of feedback but to be honest in some ways its like the previous 7 years never happened! Sometimes I literally cant believe I was ever in Australia!

Well, a lot has happened, let me summarise, My plan was to move to London and get a job there rather than settling back in Portsmouth. I stayed with my mum for 3 months in the end, I must admit the job situation is very changed from 8 years ago. I went for one job and came 2nd out of 50 applicants! I know that what decided it in the end was my lack of recent UK experience, which is a bit frustrating... So in the end I decided to do some agency work (Im a social worker) and its been great, good pay and Im getting great up to date experience. I did move to London briefly but then got a job in Essex, and through a strange turn of events have ended up living in Burnham On Crouch! I ahve a great renetd house by the river with yachts outside my back door, I also have a relationship! (tumble weed moment for the whole 7 years in oz!!) the cat is well settled and took the journey in his stride... Im very very happy and definately made the right move!

So what hasnt been so good?
well, energy bills must have doubled since I left..
Council tax is over 100 a month
The coffee is generally poor... I knew I would miss the coffee!

Thats about it!!

I love love being here I love the little town where I live and the quirky characters in it, work is great and you actually feel respected as an adult... makes a change. No bouncers/bar staff have stared into my eyes or refused to give me a drink! I don't have to think about Tony Abbott! (shame he keeps popping up at the moment) men do housework and cook...

please feel free to ask questions Hope you are all doing well!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 1 Year yesterday!! sorry for the delay!!!

Lovely to hear from you, I have often wondered how you were doing. Its wonderful to hear how happy you are and that it has been such a good move for you.

We'll let you off the lateness of updating us since it does sound like you've been a bit busy
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that things are working out for you. I can really relate to your comment about your time in Australia. I feel the same way after 30 years in Canada.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The coffee problem is best solved by only drinking the stuff you make at home ! How did Nestle manage to con the population into thinking that freeze-dried coffee granules are for real !??
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Hi everyone, Well yesterday was one year since I landed at Heathrow, (it was 0 dgrees!) off to the ARC to collect my cat and off I went. I apologise for my dreadful lack of feedback but to be honest in some ways its like the previous 7 years never happened! Sometimes I literally cant believe I was ever in Australia!

Well, a lot has happened, let me summarise, My plan was to move to London and get a job there rather than settling back in Portsmouth. I stayed with my mum for 3 months in the end, I must admit the job situation is very changed from 8 years ago. I went for one job and came 2nd out of 50 applicants! I know that what decided it in the end was my lack of recent UK experience, which is a bit frustrating... So in the end I decided to do some agency work (Im a social worker) and its been great, good pay and Im getting great up to date experience. I did move to London briefly but then got a job in Essex, and through a strange turn of events have ended up living in Burnham On Crouch! I ahve a great renetd house by the river with yachts outside my back door, I also have a relationship! (tumble weed moment for the whole 7 years in oz!!) the cat is well settled and took the journey in his stride... Im very very happy and definately made the right move!

Thats about it!!

I love love being here I love the little town where I live and the quirky characters in it, work is great and you actually feel respected as an adult... makes a change. No bouncers/bar staff have stared into my eyes or refused to give me a drink! I don't have to think about Tony Abbott! (shame he keeps popping up at the moment) men do housework and cook...

I see Tony Abbott on the TV and think to myself thank goodness he is there and we arent
I dont drink coffee so cant comment on the quality.
We pay more council tax but it's worth every cent, I mean penny.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, a year already?! I remember your return with cat!

It sounds like things have fallen nicely into place for you all round and long may it continue! Coffee - if you ever spot a Cau (pretty sure it's a chain) their coffee is the best I've tasted anywhere! (Worth buying the steak just so you can have the coffee from Brazil!)

Actually, Tony Abbott is the only thing that might entice me back to Aus but there ya go, we're all different LOL, I like him!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Gosh, a year already?! I remember your return with cat!

It sounds like things have fallen nicely into place for you all round and long may it continue! Coffee - if you ever spot a Cau (pretty sure it's a chain) their coffee is the best I've tasted anywhere! (Worth buying the steak just so you can have the coffee from Brazil!)

Actually, Tony Abbott is the only thing that might entice me back to Aus but there ya go, we're all different LOL, I like him!
I knew if I waited long enough I would find the person who likes Tony Abbott
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I have followed your posts and so HAPPY that you are glad you are back in the U.K. with not too much to complain about. Thank you for keeping us up to date...
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Great to read such a good report. Love the insight on the job front. I have heard that lack of UK experience in that field (social work) would be a problem. Agency work is the way to go according to UK Yankee. Thanks so much for the update

ETA: I sent you a DM with a couple of questions. Hope you don't mind

Last edited by Brigette; Mar 26th 2014 at 6:47 am.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thats about it!!

Glad to hear all is well, and you are getting on with life, now all you need to do is change your location, so people know you're not still in Sydney..
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Good to hear you have made the right move and are enjoying life back in the UK.We have been back 2.5years (from Alberta) and there is no looking back for us either .....love it!!!!
As for the coffee go on line and buy Grumpy mule ......its the best !
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thats about it!!

It's interesting that you mention the lack of relationship action that you had for 7 years in OZ. I know a few lovely, intelligent women who have been on their own for 7 + years and it's not for the want of trying.
Fortunately, I met a nice Canadian man here in Adelaide who knows how to cook and do housework .
Glad to hear that it was the best decision for you and that everything has fallen into place. Good luck for the future
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, happy to answer Social work questions, sorry if it takes me a while, I wish you all the very best in your plans!

Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:34 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Its nice to hear a success story. Calms the nerves slightly for what is ahead.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I love happy endings, no matter where in the world they take place.

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Its nice to hear a success story. Calms the nerves slightly for what is ahead.
Hope they are excited nerves Pippa. I shall look forward to reading your own Back Home update .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.