7 weeks in - update

Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:08 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute
Default 7 weeks in - update

Hi all,

Just wanted to update how it's been going for us since we moved. I think the last time I posted it was the middle of the night and I wasn't particularly happy!

Well, we are now both working, hubby was very lucky he got a job 3 days after arriving (he's in construction now). It took me nearer 4 weeks to find a job (I'm an accountant), I'm now commuting daily to Moorgate, the met line isn't too bad. I used to work part time in the US so it's hard getting used to getting home almost 2 hours later but I am hoping that once I'm more settled I'm going to reduce my hours. BUT I do get 24 days vacation a year!!

I can honestly say we are both very happy here, it's definitely home, I love our newspapers, TV, shops, etc. I do miss the sunshine and certain conveniences of LA. BUT I don't miss paying almost $1,000 a month in health insurance.

Our children are very happy and being thoroughly spoiled by my family, they are on half term at the moment.

Yes, I do think times are hard, and when I used to come back on holiday I think that the country had changed but now I live here I feel as I never left and nothing has changed.

All in all, it's been a good move for us.

We are just waiting for stuff to arrive now, we used Schumachers, so I will update on that too!

Good luck to all of you about to make the move.

It's good to be home.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 weeks in - update

Congratulations! It's so good to hear something positive about moving back home. I'm glad things are working out for you.

It didn't take you that long to get a job and that's fantastic. I'm wondering if that is because you have a specialty? Very encouraging news indeed. Best of luck and remember to keep us updated
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on both finding work so quickly.
I'm glad you are settling in well, I can't wait to hear about the movers, It's not often I find someone has shipped from West coast US If you don't mind would you let us know how much you shipped and what the costs were?

Oh and time to change your location below the little picture
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:59 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

I think I was lucky to find work so quickly as the agents did say it was very slow and it may take some time for me to find something. One agent thought me being away for 10 years would work against me, the other didn't think it would be a problem. I think you just need to be a bit pushy with the agents and keep in touch with them.

Mummy I will let you know re Schumachers, we packed up a 2 bed flat, but we didn't bring everything, I think our container was about 350 Sq Ft and it cost around $3000. It should be arriving mid-November.

Wishing you well
Nyz