6 Month Update!

Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Month Update!

Great update! I hope you are proud of yourself for embarking on this adventure and with such a great attitude, go you!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

LostinJax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by windsong
Love it! Kept me engaged until the very last moment.

Good to hear that jobs for you are advertised much more clearly in the UK. My experience trying to find jobs in the USA is that it is easier to find a needle in a haystack!
Couldn't agree more. Yesterday, I checked a US job website. It had a category for Photography and when I clicked on all I could find were jobs for customer service reps, drivers, in fact anything but photography jobs.

I think it is all part of the game to get you to open up a webpage and help boost their advertising revenue.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostinJax
Couldn't agree more. Yesterday, I checked a US job website. It had a category for Photography and when I clicked on all I could find were jobs for customer service reps, drivers, in fact anything but photography jobs.

I think it is all part of the game to get you to open up a webpage and help boost their advertising revenue.
I am going through the same thing. Trying to find a job is a nightmare - and I am degreed with good experience too. It has sapped all my energy. I am so tired of trying to play the American "game" and I want to go back to the UK. I know it has changed a lot but it will never be as bad as it is here and, as always, I would rather grow old over there than here.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I am going through the same thing. Trying to find a job is a nightmare - and I am degreed with good experience too. It has sapped all my energy. I am so tired of trying to play the American "game" and I want to go back to the UK. I know it has changed a lot but it will never be as bad as it is here and, as always, I would rather grow old over there than here.

In our paper today they are sayin they have the work But they can't get the workers. How good are you at sheet-rocking?
Old May 15th 2013, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tel8
Oh my gosh!

Oh my gosh!

I can't believe I've been here 6 months, but it was exactly 6 months to the day on March 7!

For the record: I still wake up and get all excited thinking "I'm in England! I'm in England!"

I've officially started planning my first visit back to the US, to be had in July and I've already got this knot of anxiety that I'm going to go back and somehow get forced to stay (mum and dad would never do that, but I tend to panic about impossible things

It's been cold as all get out lately! I mean, really bloody freezing- snow flakes whirling around, and when you step in somewhere warm, it's almost worse because it's not quite warm enough - it's that cold. And yet, I'm still quite happily prancing about in a certain gold and burgundy 'school' scarf and plotting my visits to places like Brighton and Dover come summer...

One of the things I dearly love about being here is that I've started thinking of going to other places. I've applied for a Foreign Correspondent's course in Finland, and I'm suddenly desperate to visit Germany and France, and maybe breeze through Italy if I get the chance.

It's like the whole world is suddenly open to me, and even going to Australia or Japan or China isn't really that far away anymore. I know it's not that much closer, it's really more that my perspective of travel has changed; I'm able to decide where I go, when I want, and how I'm going to get there and back! It's been absolutely incredible to see flights to Finland going for £100. My uncle is going to Hungary for £78 roundtrip. I'm jealous because technically, I can afford a trip like that.

A year ago, a trip like that would've been impossible until I had a full-time job with benefits, and three piddling weeks leave. At which time I most likely would have wanted to sleep, and probably would've laughed at myself for wanting to do something as massively stressful as leave the country for a holiday.

Even finding work is proving to be less scary than it might otherwise be, because things in my field are simply advertised better here. I don't know if this is just a thing with Journalism, but there are loads of website that give vacancies and listings, whereas in the states, there's no one reputable source (and I definitely did the research! At one point I thought I wasn't going to see England again until I had my first job, so believe me, I was all over it).

/gush

I'm going to follow that up with things I don't like about England, just so that no one's teeth start to rot (I'm looking out for you guys )

1. Checks take too long to clear!
2. Checks take too bloody long to clear!
3. Checks really do take too bloody long to clear and it's annoying!
4. Difficult to find a good hamburger that doesn't come from McD. However, my family typically doesn't eat beef anyway, so I guess that's not all bad. And I could just make a hamburger myself out of all that lovely, affordable mince I've been able to get, but I'm lazy.
5. Things like 'horse meat' are a thing. It just shouldn't be a thing. I'm pretty sure I've eaten horse meat for most of my formative years as God only knows what was in those school lunches back in the States, but there you go. It's a thing. And it shouldn't be.
6. It's this cold in March. Late March. Nearly April. I'm spoilt by Georgia weather- no denying it.
7. Mum's hugs are too far away. Very annoying. I bloody needed one the other day.
8. Mum's cooking is also too far away. Increasingly annoying. Especially when my massive collection of lovely but irritating flatmates are all crammed into the kitchen at once and I'm left with a bag of lettuce and my annoyance for dinner.
9. When I make lists like this, I run out of things. Boo! Still can't find Broken Britain, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough?
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic and light-hearted post.
We've been back just a couple of weeks shy of a year now and while we're still loving every minute of being here, and haven't regretted moving back for one single day, everyday life does begin to take over and your post has reminded me of that same excitement, which is still bubbling away just under the surface.
Old May 16th 2013, 3:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

I was in the same boat love...if I had waited until I got a job in the US I'd STILL be sitting there waiting to come back here ! LOL That's why I just said 'stuff it' I'm off! I'd rather have been unemployed here, but happy - than unemployed in the US and miserable!
Old May 16th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I was in the same boat love...if I had waited until I got a job in the US I'd STILL be sitting there waiting to come back here ! LOL That's why I just said 'stuff it' I'm off! I'd rather have been unemployed here, but happy - than unemployed in the US and miserable!
I agree windsong should take the plunge too
Old May 16th 2013, 8:15 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I agree windsong should take the plunge too
I second that !!!!!