2 years, where did that go ?

Old Aug 9th 2014, 4:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years, where did that go ?

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
That choice of words: "We are better off not only financially but also mentally and in ways that cant be measured" sums up all that I wanted to say.

We have been back home now since May and I couldnt be happier. Thanks for a great post and for helping me to describe how I feel.
No worries at all, sometimes there are things that just cant be accurately measured or even explained, its all the intangibles that add up to make the whole experience 'right'.
Glad it is working out for you as well
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

This is so reassuring and good to here Chris. My anxiety is increasing by the day thinking of what we are about to do even though I know the alternative is not 'right'.
More updates will be much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great. I agree that you have to disregard most of the rubbish you hear about UK. We are coming up on our one year anniversary, still feels right to me and we are all settling in just fine. Dh has taken the longest, but he was out of UK the longest too.
He still mentions differences, and is still learning the names of things.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Chris955! I know you get some stick here and there for being positive... gawd only knows why. I for one enjoy hearing that the UK hasn't really fallen into a sinkhole or worse.

I can't wait to get 'home' early next year and I wish you and yours all the best and congrats for making it home. I can only hope things keep getting better for you.

Cheers, M
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Thanks for the update Chris955! I know you get some stick here and there for being positive... gawd only knows why. I for one enjoy hearing that the UK hasn't really fallen into a sinkhole or worse.

I can't wait to get 'home' early next year and I wish you and yours all the best and congrats for making it home. I can only hope things keep getting better for you.

Cheers, M
Thanks M, yeah the criticism for being overly positive is a bit odd but says a lot more about them than me I reckon
At times I wonder if we have flown into an alternative UK because it doesnt seem much like the one some describe thats for sure.
Good luck with your move
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I (Luke) believe the move out of the UK for, what will be 4 years makes me look at the UK in a different light and a positive one at that. I can take the lifestyle, the experiences and the way of NZ life that I have been living and in some capacity bring that to life in the UK. With the added bonus of being around friends and family again.

Great post though I like your outlook and the way it was expressed... I can imagine I would feel very similar with a move back.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
I (Luke) believe the move out of the UK for, what will be 4 years makes me look at the UK in a different light and a positive one at that. I can take the lifestyle, the experiences and the way of NZ life that I have been living and in some capacity bring that to life in the UK. With the added bonus of being around friends and family again.

Great post though I like your outlook and the way it was expressed... I can imagine I would feel very similar with a move back.
Thank you. I should stress that the UK isnt perfect, nowhere is of course, but for us it is as near to perfect as we can find. I just get frustrated by those who will only see the negatives, we have a few on here and no doubt they post purely to get a reaction which is sad.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:18 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

When someone has left the UK to live in another country and they feel the need to criticize others for being positive about it then they are in denial. I have been negatively commented on many times for being honest, even when it has been a very balanced post. Sometimes feels like a war going on between two countries!

I don't feel the need to criticize anyone or any country's positives because I'm truely happy where I live now! Maybe those people should think about that one.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
When someone has left the UK to live in another country and they feel the need to criticize others for being positive about it then they are in denial. I have been negatively commented on many times for being honest, even when it has been a very balanced post. Sometimes feels like a war going on between two countries!

I don't feel the need to criticize anyone or any country's positives because I'm truely happy where I live now! Maybe those people should think about that one.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute

Very uplifting post. Our situation is not the same, but gives me hope that our move could go half as well as yours and still find happiness and the other intangibles.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 5:36 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo

I agree with this, I used to be one of those negative thinking Brits, but my time away has crystallized the things that are important, and the ones that aren't.
Although it would have been easier to have not done any of it, I'm going back feeling richer in myself. I'm taking a lot of the stuff that I've learnt here back with me with positive intentions.
Maybe it's not where you are, but the way you view it!
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:20 am
Just Joined

rachelblanchard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
Well I say 2 years it was actually 2 years in April but yes where does the time go ? The first year wasnt the easiest even though we had our own house, the kids were well settled and things were dropping nicely into place. The second year has been MUCH easier and we are all extremely settled and barely think about Australia during our day to day life. The hard part is that I do love Australia or at least parts of it, especially obviously friends and family but it just didnt give us what we wanted.
I was warned about life back here and quite honestly expected to come back to somewhere akin to Gaza only to find that life for the majority wasnt bad at all and this country has no problems that every other Western nation has. The streets arent covered in dog poo and litter, there arent gangs on every corner, everyone isnt unemployed and living in poverty.
England is a beautiful country and we are fortunate to live in an especially beautiful part of it.
We are better off not only financially but also mentally and in ways that cant be measured.
My advise to anyone considering moving back is to disregard 90% of the nonsense you will hear, this is very much still a vibrant happening country with lots of opportunities. I am sorry it hasnt worked out for some but that is expected really, the trick is not to let those people drag you down. It really isnt even close to being as bad as some would have us believe
We wouldnt have bought our kids here if we thought they wouldnt have a future in this country.
As far as life here, we find food is cheaper and better quality and there is also a much greater range and choice.
Some things are more, we pay more council tax but we live in a nicer house in a nicer area so that is expected.
Car and home insurance for us is noticeably cheaper, that wont be the case for everyone of course.
The people are lovely, friendly, cheerful and helpful.
Anyway that is just the potted version of the last 2 years.
may I ask whereabouts you settled?
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rachelblanchard
may I ask whereabouts you settled?
Yes you can, in Herefordshire. A beautiful county that is more often than not thankfully overlooked
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
I agree with this, I used to be one of those negative thinking Brits, but my time away has crystallized the things that are important, and the ones that aren't.
Although it would have been easier to have not done any of it, I'm going back feeling richer in myself. I'm taking a lot of the stuff that I've learnt here back with me with positive intentions.
Maybe it's not where you are, but the way you view it!
What we found was that many of those Brits that just blindly criticised every aspect of life in the UK upon moving somewhere else discovered that surprise surprise all those things were there as well. There are also those that will consciously ignore the fact that all the same problems exist in their new home.