2 year Britiversary

Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:38 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 year Britiversary

...on the 13th July.

So, quick background; Moved to Nova Scotia, Canada in July 2007. Homesick after 1 year. I wanted to come home, husband didn't. I suffered with depression. In the 4th year husband agreed we should return as I was so bad even though he wanted to stay. Had to wait for eldest to finish high school, save up, sell house, etc. Returned home July 2013.

No regrets, still loving it here and enjoying everything the UK has to offer. Visited lots of places I hadn't ever been to before; The Cotswolds, Warwick, Stratford upon Avon, Bath, Norfolk and planning to do a lot more; hopefully Yorkshire & The Lakes later this year We went to my little nieces naming ceremony in Devon on Saturday which was fabulous.
I am enjoying pub lunches with old friends and lives are busy but I make an effort to see close friends at least once a month.

I love the variety in landscape, the British countryside, the shopping, the old pubs & great restaurants, the variety in food, the history & beautiful historic buildings, the temperate climate, spring which starts in February, spring (end of!)

I love driving again. Sure the traffic can be a pain but we have travelled up and down the country and more often than not manage to drive straight through without issue.

Weather here in the south has been amazing. Yes, there was a lot (understatement) of rain in winter 2013 which caused flooding in some areas, but really we have enjoyed 2 fabulous springs, 2 scorching hot summers, 2 great autumns & mild winters..without snow!

I think the right area will definately have an impact on whether you settle well or not, as wth any country. We live in a lovely little market town which is still very village friendly. We have lots of green space, lakes & walking routes.

We enjoyed a street BBQ last August and are about to have our second one on Saturday night. Our neighbours are great and really friendly. We have a 'mums in action' group where we have done falconary, canoeing, pasta making, archery, rifle shooting & more and we are having a curry night on Monday.
Who says Brits aren't friendly? I barely manage to get the dog walked without someone stopping to talk and we are always striking up conversation with total strangers, I guess it depends what type of person you are.

We are about to exchange on our new house after 2 years of renting. Staying in the same area about 5 minutes away. We can't wait to truly feel settled again.

Hubby, although he didn't want to come back, has settled well. He loves his job in London and admits to the fact that we have a much better lifestyle now. I am loving our close proximity to Europe, we are off on travels next year and I can't wait!

Youngest daughter is doing well at school and has now settled into a good group of friends which seems to be expanding all the time. Eldest is working and has a great social life out every weekend. She is still saving to return to Canada but keeps putting it off. She loves it here but wants to go back there also so is just stalling at the moment. Most of her Canadian friends now have babies so things won't be the same and her social life will be very limited. We'll see.

As I said, no regrets. I am now living my life and not just surviving. Don't get me wrong, it's not all roses & ice cream, unfortunately I do suffer from depression but it is definitely improved since returning home.
Canada feels like a dream now. I will NEVER emigrate again, although I am now getting twitchy I will go on holidays instead until kids are older then I will maybe spend 6 months to a year abroad, love it, then come back home.

That's all folks

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 15th 2015 at 8:20 am.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year Britiversary

Great, thanks for the update! The only bit I don't like the sound of is scorching summers! I prefer mild, overcast summers with rainy periods ... like today and yesterday in Norfolk, for instance. The occasional hot day I can tolerate, then off to the beach!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Well done a great story. It is always nice when people share POSOTIVE vibes.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:13 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Great, thanks for the update! The only bit I don't like the sound of is scorching summers! I prefer mild, overcast summers with rainy periods ... like today and yesterday in Norfolk, for instance. The occasional hot day I can tolerate, then off to the beach!
Yeah this summer has been a bit like that so far. We have had some really gorgeous days, reaching up to 35 degrees last week! at the moment we are having a couple of drizzle days which is actually perfect weather for packing boxes, whereas when it's hot I just want to be outside tanning. This is a refreshing nice break and it's still warm.

Originally Posted by themajor
Well done a great story. It is always nice when people share POSOTIVE vibes.
Thanks. I look around and appreciate things I never noticed before when we lived here. I took the old beautiful buildings for granted before, now I find myself gawping like a tourist!

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 15th 2015 at 9:01 am.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:57 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1

Thanks. I look around and appreciate things I never noticed before when we lived here. I took the old beautiful buildings for granted before, now I find myself gawping like a tourist!
I hope you never lose that love. I feel it too when I visit and its so wasted if it's not noticed and appreciated ( like I didn't used to when I lived there)
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:17 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I hope you never lose that love. I feel it too when I visit and its so wasted if it's not noticed and appreciated ( like I didn't used to when I lived there)
Thanks Howe and hopefully I don't lose it too. I wish everybody could leave for a couple of years or more and then return so they would appreciate everything too
Old Jul 21st 2015, 6:00 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update, thanks for sharing and so glad your kids are settling in nicely - icing on the cake I should imagine! Enjoy the new home and safe travels for your upcoming trips x
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:02 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Lovely update, thanks for sharing and so glad your kids are settling in nicely - icing on the cake I should imagine! Enjoy the new home and safe travels for your upcoming trips x
Thanks MissB
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

lovely update, great to hear from you. Love your description of your activities which sound like such fun. I also was in your situation, hubby did not want to move and I got sick with depression and loneliness and he relented. He is starting to get excited now too. We are returning to our old home also in SE in Bucks - great little market town with train to London. I never really wanted to go back there but it just fell into place and at least it is what we know and is lock up and go! We will both be retired and hope to travel a lot too!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lorry1
. I wish everybody could leave for a couple of years or more and then return so they would appreciate everything too
Wise words. Very wise words
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

We have travelled the world extensively working! Away each time for many years. It was always nice to get back for while and appreciate the Green of old England and the grand architecture. Unfortunately we just cannot settle into the UK way of life.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:50 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by feelbritish
lovely update, great to hear from you. Love your description of your activities which sound like such fun. I also was in your situation, hubby did not want to move and I got sick with depression and loneliness and he relented. He is starting to get excited now too. We are returning to our old home also in SE in Bucks - great little market town with train to London. I never really wanted to go back there but it just fell into place and at least it is what we know and is lock up and go! We will both be retired and hope to travel a lot too!
It sounds like everything is finally coming together for you, although very stressful! I hope you husband settles back home so you can be happy again
We returned to a town not far from where we came, just a couple of miles down the road and we love it here.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Wise words. Very wise words
Thanks.

Originally Posted by themajor
We have travelled the world extensively working! Away each time for many years. It was always nice to get back for while and appreciate the Green of old England and the grand architecture. Unfortunately we just cannot settle into the UK way of life.
That's a shame. I love the way of life here. It is always fun, exciting and keeps me on my toes I love the variety and the vibrant cities with so much to do.

Too be honest I found Canada (the Maritimes) quite boring. Everywhere is the same, all the buildings are the same and we did all the tourist stuff within our first summer there. We had basically done everything and to do something different involved a very long drive or a flight.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, glad you are happy. All best wishes with the new house.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:52 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by ann m
Great update, glad you are happy. All best wishes with the new house.
Thanks Ann. We just exchanged today for completion 12th August
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:48 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

lorry1, so pleased to hear that things are going well and that you are happy being home. Best of luck with your upcoming move. It will be great to move into your new place. I am coming up to my 3rd anniversary and I'm still happy being back. The countryside and brilliant architecture just feeds a part of my soul that had been badly under nourished. I knew I disliked the blandness of Calgary, but I hadn't appreciated how much impact it had on me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.