Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

12 month anniversary of moving back and....

12 month anniversary of moving back and....

Old May 24th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute
Default 12 month anniversary of moving back and....

I absolutely love it here, life is so fulfilling with such a diversity of things to do. I honestly thought a bit of me would want to return to Oz but not at all. After 16 years in Oz I can honestly say I'd never ever bother returning even for a holiday but my two eldest kids are still there

It was surprisingly easy (emotionally) to sell our house in Brisbane which demonstrated the lack of desire to return. Just bought one in Ivybridge and can't wait to move in! Even the wife (English) who didn't want to come back to UK now loves it and has no desire to return to Oz.

Part of me wishes I'd moved back ten years ago but hey ho can't do anything about the past. To anyone abroad contemplating moving back I'd say give it a go it ain't bad here at all!
Old May 24th 2009, 8:22 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 month anniversary of moving back and....

Originally Posted by sdunx
I absolutely love it here, life is so fulfilling with such a diversity of things to do. I honestly thought a bit of me would want to return to Oz but not at all. After 16 years in Oz I can honestly say I'd never ever bother returning even for a holiday but my two eldest kids are still there

It was surprisingly easy (emotionally) to sell our house in Brisbane which demonstrated the lack of desire to return. Just bought one in Ivybridge and can't wait to move in! Even the wife (English) who didn't want to come back to UK now loves it and has no desire to return to Oz.

Part of me wishes I'd moved back ten years ago but hey ho can't do anything about the past. To anyone abroad contemplating moving back I'd say give it a go it ain't bad here at all!
Good for you! So pleased its worked out for you.

Although we have only been back a couple of months, hand on heart i have not had one tinge of regret about leaving Australia. Like you, i dont think i would even want to go back for a holiday. I am so over the place its unreal!! I might change my mind 10yrs from now, but i doubt it

It just feels so "right" to be home. I am seeing the country in a whole new light. Savouring even simple things i probably would never have noticed before i left.
On top of this, we have been so lucky with the weather since we got back.
It is supposed to be the hottest day of the year today. I must be mad, but have invited 5 of my grandchildren over to play in the swimming pool!!

Life doesnt get much better than this
Old May 24th 2009, 9:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I am genuinely pleased for you. Nothing worse than being in the wrong place. Hope the next 12 are as happy for you.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am genuinely pleased for you. Nothing worse than being in the wrong place. Hope the next 12 are as happy for you.
Thanks! different places suit different people, its just a case of people finding their spiritual home - I have (took me a while though! it was here under my nose the whole time)
Old May 24th 2009, 10:49 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at 9 months post-return and feel exactly the same way -- after 30 years in the US. No regrets at all.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Bet it's hot where you are today it's so warm today in good ole Yorkshire.
The warm weather here is so much more enjoyable, no flies or mozzies, no wind and easier to sit out in. I just love it. Don't think we will ever go back to OZ either, been there, worn the t-shirt, i'm over it
Old May 24th 2009, 2:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I'm at 9 months post-return and feel exactly the same way -- after 30 years in the US. No regrets at all.
Wow 30yrs and no regrets thats good to hear Gives me hope that we will settle well after 20yrs in California
Old May 24th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Bet it's hot where you are today it's so warm today in good ole Yorkshire.
The warm weather here is so much more enjoyable, no flies or mozzies, no wind and easier to sit out in. I just love it. Don't think we will ever go back to OZ either, been there, worn the t-shirt, i'm over it
Glad you're enjoying being home it's bloody marvellous ain't it! Went for a walk over Dartmoor with Dave and Tracy and kids yesterday, went to a brilliant country pub on way home and got pissed round mine last night - we had a laugh! Dave and Nick gone to Villa park today and Tracy took Anna to the Ivybridge Horse and Dog Show. They live about 500 yds from us, got BE to thank for that friendship!
Old May 24th 2009, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

They live about 500 yds from us, got BE to thank for that friendship!
Bloody B.E
Old May 24th 2009, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! different places suit different people, its just a case of people finding their spiritual home - I have (took me a while though! it was here under my nose the whole time)
Ain't that the funniest thing?

Took us travelling to the arse end of the planet to discover we belonged here all along
Old May 24th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

I haven't even gone yet (to Canada), and I'm missing the UK already
Old May 24th 2009, 5:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
I haven't even gone yet (to Canada), and I'm missing the UK already
There's no hope for you then
Old May 24th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that all has gone according to plan. I hope you continue to experience that deep happiness of being in the right place for many years to come!
Old May 25th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice
Unhappy Re: 12 month anniversary of moving back and....

Glad to hear you are so happy to be home. It give hope to many of us especially as you are in Devon.

I am officially new to this forum but have actually lurked for some time and feel I know many people on here well!

I have been in Australia for many years, arrived alone for an adventure, loved it, moved around, have felt for a while I would like to return home, have just put my house up for sale and am ready to take the plunge! So it seems a good time to join in the chat rather than just listen.

As I only have myself to worry about now and want to change my career I have decided to do the two things together as it seems to make sense and takes some of the anxiety out of "am I doing the right thing?" Luckily for me I am able to invest hard earned cash into a career move as I have no one else to consider.

I need to be within travelling distance of Plymouth for work and study. I think anywhere between Newton Abbot and St Austell would be reasonable travelling distance, though Saltash seems the most convenient. I do know the area (or did years ago!) but do not come from there.

I know sdunx and TraceyW would suggest it is a horrible area to return to and disuade anyone from the area due to the ugliness of it etc, but unfortunately I have little choice so am hoping that maybe I could get some suggestions as to where to live. I will be renting and do not want to spend too much as it is just me, but would like a pleasant area. Any ideas?
Old May 25th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Bloody B.E
ha bloody ha - and I thought you loved me? LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.