Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

10 months, time for an update

10 months, time for an update

Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 months, time for an update

Originally Posted by BEVS
Pop on over to the Italy forum and hit Lorna for help , hints and tips.
What a good idea, thanks BEVS! I might wait until I have a few months of lessons under my belt though, so I'll only sound like a little wally instead of great big ginormous one.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 10:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Please don't take this the wrong way Spouse but I would love to be a fly on the wall and listen to you and scouse with your two different accents speaking Italian
never thought of that, it'll be hilarious. Although you never know, I might understand him better if he speaks in Italian, because the scouse accent still catches me out!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
never thought of that, it'll be hilarious. Although you never know, I might understand him better if he speaks in Italian, because the scouse accent still catches me out!
Thank your lucky stars you didn't marry a Geordie
Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea to converse in Italian - in two months we might be able to order a beer from each and direct each other to the nearest loo.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Only just seeing this, SOS! I am so glad you have talked it over with your husband. But it must have been a bit of a shock to find out he was not as settled as he hoped to be. How I look at life is that nothing is written in stone. Give it time and if, in a couple of years, you decide to go back, so be it. But I agree, get citizenship first! Who knows what the rules will be like in a few years!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your very sensible, helpful and encouraging posts everyone.

I hauled Scouse off for dinner and drinks so we could have a proper talk about it all. I brought up the 'curse of the expats' subject and he was surprised - not because he hadn't heard of it before (he knows quite a few people who have been in the same boat), but because he didn't twig that this was what he was feeling.

We both felt so much better for having talked it through properly. No answers/solution of course, it's too early for that. What we've decided to focus on for now is doing some different things, instead of just following the same old daily routine that we did in Australia.

Not sure how we got from that to both of us enrolling at the University of Liverpool to study Italian, but we did and we're really enthusiastic about it!

Cheers again for the comments, it was a very useful starting point for our D&M. For someone who's never even looked at BE, he's quite a fan of it

And why not just pop over to Italy for a weekend to use your Italian.
Certainly a pro to stay in Europe and every little helps.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Louis' Deli in Norwich has language conversation days. Maybe somewhere in Liverpool may have the same. If not, when we are there you can come visit. Wednesday is Italian day I am a French speaker myself, so that's Mondays for me. OH speaks Turkish, but they don't have that - yet

Events held at Louis Deli, Café and Kitchen Norwich NR2.

Last edited by Perth; Aug 30th 2016 at 10:46 am.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:52 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by curleytops
That's true curleytops, another almost incomprehensible accent! Although, the Mayor of the last local government I worked for in Australia was a Geordie so I eventually got my ear in.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:55 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by michali
Only just seeing this, SOS! I am so glad you have talked it over with your husband. But it must have been a bit of a shock to find out he was not as settled as he hoped to be. How I look at life is that nothing is written in stone. Give it time and if, in a couple of years, you decide to go back, so be it. But I agree, get citizenship first! Who knows what the rules will be like in a few years!
Thanks Michali, yes it was a bit of a shock! If we do decide to go back I would definitely like to get UK citizenship first, that's over 4 years away though so I'll have to see how he goes. I'm crossing my fingers that the longer he's here, the more he'll settle in
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And why not just pop over to Italy for a weekend to use your Italian.
Certainly a pro to stay in Europe and every little helps.
I like that idea Moses. We love Italy and would go at the drop of a hat, but our old golden retriever has first call on us for now
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:00 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Perth
Louis' Deli in Norwich has language conversation days. Maybe somewhere in Liverpool may have the same. If not, when we are there you can come visit. Wednesday is Italian day I am a French speaker myself, so that's Mondays for me. OH speaks Turkish, but they don't have that - yet

Events held at Louis Deli, Café and Kitchen Norwich NR2.
Language conversation days, what a fantastic idea! I'll ask the tutor if there's anything like that here.

Norwich certainly sounds like a great place to live and I'll definitely find myself there for a visit at some stage
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I like that idea Moses. We love Italy and would go at the drop of a hat, but our old golden retriever has first call on us for now
Simple, take car ferry and bring the dog with you. Regular stops along the way to see some of France and the dog gets the walks. All possible these days, so another plus for being where you are.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:25 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Simple, take car ferry and bring the dog with you. Regular stops along the way to see some of France and the dog gets the walks. All possible these days, so another plus for being where you are.
I don't mean to sound like I'm pouring cold water on your excellent suggestions, but our old boy is terrified of riding in cars! In fact, he's terrified of almost everything - cats, the wind, not getting his dinner at exactly 4:30pm......
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I heard that.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't mean to sound like I'm pouring cold water on your excellent suggestions, but our old boy is terrified of riding in cars! In fact, he's terrified of almost everything - cats, the wind, not getting his dinner at exactly 4:30pm......
That's different then:-). We also have one who is terrified but it's a cat, so I doubt they'd get on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.