Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thoughts of buying a car

Thoughts of buying a car

Old Aug 27th 2016, 12:26 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thoughts of buying a car

Hi all
We holiday on Esuri at least 3 times a year - car hire is mega expensive - this time it cost us nearly 1800 euros for 41/2 weeks - soooo - our thinking is to maybe buy one - a 7 seater would best fit us as there does tend to be 6 of us at any one time - not being picky or anything thing but id love a ford smax like we have at home - where would be the best place to look for a car be in and around Ayamonte
Thanks in advance
Sam xxxxx
Old Aug 27th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts of buying a car

Used cars are expensive compared to the UK, particularly around Ayamonte. I was looking a couple of years ago for a Mondeo or Insignia estate. Prices were around 13 to 14k euros for a 6 year old with around 150000 kms
Old Aug 27th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Best place to browse and get a good idea of prices :
MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Ayamonte. Venta de coches de segunda mano ayamonte en Huelva - Vehículos de ocasión ayamonte en Huelva de todas las marcas: BMW, Mercedes, Audi,...
Old Aug 27th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Even more local
Autocasión
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:59 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much to you both xxxxx
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:39 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

We've been coming for years, and spend several months a year in CE. So the question of car hire vs car purchase has come up a lot.

In our case we don't need a big car, as its just the 2 of us. So car hire is cheaper for us as we get the smallest (=cheapest) car. Sam is looking at a big car, maybe even a 7 seater, so I understand why the rental cost is so high for her.

Living on the continent and coming for several weeks at a time (several times a year) - means we could drive down, but for us its a hassle (even though there is no channel crossing) and the costs of fuel, hotel and tolls etc means we break even about in 4 weeks (vs lo-cost air and car rental). Driving directly down is 2 days each way (2500kms) so we are happy to pay the 'extra' over the break-even-point to save the 2 days in AND 2 days out of long (boring-tiresome) 12+ hour driving... saving 4 days of 'our lives'... that we would rather spend in and around CE. If we want to make a holiday of the trip stopping off e.g in some lovely French towns - then we would drive. We always spend more than 4 weeks in CE... but for us, its a no-brainer to pay the 'extra' and save the 4 days.

Of course I understand why people drive down, for their requirements/reasons etc.

Our last rental of a small Citroen c1 with A/c right into the high season was 392 Euros for 38 days all in. We also have an annual top up insurance policy that means we can ignore the extras they usually ask at check in (to cover tyres..... the excess etc... we always book cars with full cover, but there are things not included or a big excess to pay in case of a problem). With our long term visits to CE each year, the annual policy is far cheaper. I advise friends coming for short visits to take the rentalco's excess insurance. In low season we can usually get a car for less than 10eur a day. We tend to make one 'big trip' each time we are there - last time was to Lisbon/Cascais etc. Previously Granada, Cordoba etc.

These days even the smallest car will cruise at the speed limit+ so we don't mind taking the small car on the long journey. With the cameras etc on the road we no longer speed. 'They' have won!!

Also we were very pleased with the C1 ... OK it wasn't very powerful and it slowed down climbing the hills towards Cascais/Lisbon, but easy to park and handle and if necessary the back seats down will give a big space for 'stuff'.

When I think about simplicity pick up/drop off at airport - rental wins. Leave the keys and walk away. Live with the 20 mins+ pickup at the airport to handle the paperwork. When I calculate the costs of up front purchase, depreciation, insurance, maintenance etc rental wins. Also owning a car means either parking long term at the airport (=pick up hassle and cost) .....or taking a taxi or drop off to and from the airport (=cost)... or asking a friend to pick up drop off.

Also leaving a car for long periods idle can be a problem. I have a mechanic friend who says you shouldn't leave a car stopped for a long time, not good for many things .....but e.g the tyres can suffer. He says to put nitrogen in the tyres (which good tyre companies can do).. because the oxygen on a compressed unmoved tyre, can affect the structure of the tyre. Nitrogen (much more 'inert') wont react this way. Or put it on axle stands.... = hassle!

Or you ask a resident-friend to give the car a spin each week or so.

So hassle for us and friends. Cost and simplicity means we rent each time... and are not-at-all 'embarrassed' to be seen in a 'pokey' small car. Most of our journeys are in the area (=short trips) and the occasional long trip isn't a problem with modern cars.

When friends visit, we don't go far and they don't mind being 'cramped' in the back for visits to the area or pick up at the airport.. 45 mins. And when they visit, it often means a booze up... so its the cheap taxis we share between us. We easily make up the taxi cost by (e.g) going to MF and eating/drinking at really low-cost prices.

On one occasion we had a problem with the car they came to CE with a replacement and drove the other car away. THEIR problem!

Again this is our case, a couple no kids who want transport to visit the area and also take friends when they visit

So FOR US personally car rental has always won over car purchase... EVEN though we spend months a year in CE.

Jon

PS I can strongly recommend staying in Cascais/Estoril for a 'base' and then visiting the area, there is a cheap coast train to Lisbon centre (=no hassle)... and e.g Sintra and the national park is on the doorstep for a drive-visit. We stayed in a hotel between the 2 and it was a nice short walk to the town(s) on the pedestrian beach walk.... and the train station was 2 mins away.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 9th 2016 at 6:55 am.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:35 pm
Happy in my bubble

Thanks Jon - some good points there - we are going to leave the car with a friend who will run it of us when we are not there so hopefully that wont be a problem - yes a big car would be better for us tbh as when we are all out there it's usually 6/7 of us out at any one time - but someone has very kindly just messaged me about a car that they know is for sale so that could be a go-er for us - fingers crossed
We didn't see both this year - did we miss you or did i just not see you lol
Thank you and take care
Love Sam xxxxx
Old Sep 11th 2016, 3:59 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Thanks Jon - some good points there - we are going to leave the car with a friend who will run it of us when we are not there so hopefully that wont be a problem - yes a big car would be better for us tbh as when we are all out there it's usually 6/7 of us out at any one time - but someone has very kindly just messaged me about a car that they know is for sale so that could be a go-er for us - fingers crossed
We didn't see both this year - did we miss you or did i just not see you lol
Thank you and take care
Love Sam xxxxx

Hi Sam

We were there for the Euros for 5+ weeks June/July.. and back in early October so hopefully we will cross paths...

Good luck with the car I am sure having everybody transported in the 7 seater will be great.

Have fun!

Jon