Summer 2018

Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Alylovestoholiday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer 2018

We will be retuning again end of July, cant wait to be back. We are looking at car hire just for a few days. In the past we have used Vostock or have brought with us from Faro. We are wanting the local Vostock option but we don't seem to be getting any replies via email (we will phone) but does anyone have any other local recommendations. We stay at Espigon in Punta Del Moral.

Also while I’m on, any changes at the Marina, appreciate its a bit early yet but any rumours? Also any changes in the bike shop.

Cant wait to return.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer 2018

Originally Posted by Alylovestoholiday
We will be retuning again end of July, cant wait to be back. We are looking at car hire just for a few days. In the past we have used Vostock or have brought with us from Faro. We are wanting the local Vostock option but we don't seem to be getting any replies via email (we will phone) but does anyone have any other local recommendations. We stay at Espigon in Punta Del Moral.

Also while I’m on, any changes at the Marina, appreciate its a bit early yet but any rumours? Also any changes in the bike shop.

Cant wait to return.
Several of the Hotels in Punta De Moral/Isla Canela organise car hire for you using a variety of providers.
I think the main car hire in Ayamonte is now Guillecar. ISTR that the Vostok office opposite the Ayamonte Marina had a different name but I can't be certain.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

JeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond repute

The main one ias Guillecar, opposite bus station. They also rent scooters, motorbikes and bicycles.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:30 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alylovestoholiday

Cant wait to return.

I got a fantastic price for our next car hire - the best ever all-in less than 6E/day from Faro!!! For a month

Depending on the local prices - you may find that you can get the same deal - and that may only get several days locally (I don't know I never rent in Ayamonte).

For us we get the car from Faro saving any airport connections like taxis and the convenience of free use of the car for our trip - for a great price.

I've posted on my car hire situation several times, its a couple of paragraphs, so if you are interested please search for it - I don't fancy doing it, as I'm awful at searching!

I know you will have a wonderful trip!!

Jon
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I got a fantastic price for our next car hire - the best ever all-in less than 6E/day from Faro!!! For a month

Depending on the local prices - you may find that you can get the same deal - and that may only get several days locally (I don't know I never rent in Ayamonte).

For us we get the car from Faro saving any airport connections like taxis and the convenience of free use of the car for our trip - for a great price.

I've posted on my car hire situation several times, its a couple of paragraphs, so if you are interested please search for it - I don't fancy doing it, as I'm awful at searching!

I know you will have a wonderful trip!!

Jon
Hi Jon
Is that a July price? The best value deal I can find in March is 9€ + insurance
BR Mike
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Hi Jon
Is that a July price? The best value deal I can find in March is 9€ + insurance
BR Mike
Hi Mike

Never in July (sadly).

Feb-March for a month, 6Eur a day. Incl the additional driver and Spain transfer. All included except there is the usual excess payment for damage above the included CDW package. I take an annual insurance for the excess. The excess cover offered by the rentalco for this single rental, pays for a years worth for us both (all over Europe). No brainer really as we rent a lot and every time we are in CE = several months a year.

Hoping all is well and looing forward to hearing about all your travels!

Jon
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mike

Never in July (sadly).

Feb-March for a month, 6Eur a day. Incl the additional driver and Spain transfer. All included except there is the usual excess payment for damage above the included CDW package. I take an annual insurance for the excess. The excess cover offered by the rentalco for this single rental, pays for a years worth for us both (all over Europe). No brainer really as we rent a lot and every time we are in CE = several months a year.

Hoping all is well and looing forward to hearing about all your travels!

Jon
We are there from 16th Mar - any overlap? Oz was great but knackering - we were in CE in November to rest and recuperate!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I nearly always book through the UK broker ZEST. ( formerly economy car hire). My 15 days late feb/ march was £79 via RentAuto for a Clio. On current exchange rates that can't be much more than 6 euros a day and with ZEST there is NO excess for accidents. No border fee either. Mind, in July its about 3 - 4 times that price. I guess the rent co's make all their profit in season.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:21 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi, I nearly always book through the UK broker ZEST. ( formerly economy car hire). My 15 days late feb/ march was £79 via RentAuto for a Clio. On current exchange rates that can't be much more than 6 euros a day and with ZEST there is NO excess for accidents. No border fee either. Mind, in July its about 3 - 4 times that price. I guess the rent co's make all their profit in season.
Hi Keith

Zest is one of my goto car hire companies, though for the past couple of years they haven't had the best price (for me).. as a result enough points were recently expired that I've lost my loyalty discount. Perhaps the name change involved a price hike, previously they came up tops a lot of the time.

However they say this

Full Collision Damage Waiver and Full Theft Waiver are included with NO insurance excess liability. Damage to certain parts of the vehicle are excluded but can be covered by our optional top-up insurance.

The top up insurance for one recent (and discarded) ZEST rental I looked at was £90 for these extras on a £143 rental.

My annual rental policy for us both for a year in any European country was c £38 for a rental period of up to 65 days. Multiple rentals.

Below are the things that Zest DONT cover .. that need the £90 top up insurance - if you want. I haven't done a side by side comparison but some of these things are covered by my annual policy, like road rage or car jacking ...

The 2 companies I know of are insurance4carhire and icarhireinsurance the last is mine.

I think anyone renting cars should look at these options and decide which works for them. Also to compare the amounts insured as well.

If you are only renting once for a short visit, then I would recommend taking the rentalco's additional insurance for peace of mind.

However knowing insurance companies, there will be things missing, or small print - so I doubt one could get a perfect policy covering 100%.

Jon

Things not covered in Zests cover, needing the optional top up

Damage to wheels and tyres

Damage to glass

Damage to under body

Damage to roof

Damage to interior

Loss or damage to keys

Loss or damage to locks and lock outs

Misfuelling

Battery failure

Mobile phone charges

Curtailment

Car-jacking

Road rage incidents

Yes, please add the additional cover for £90.00
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jon, Yes I agree the top up insurance is NOT a great deal. I never buy it. I don't usually go off road to damage the underfloor etc and I've been lucky enough not to misfuel, lose keys etc. There are a lot of really cheap offers on the net, but then you read that they find damage every time the car is returned. I did use the annual excess insurance you mention in America and it saved me a fortune. So far I've been very wary of risking a super cheap company at Faro as I just do not want the hassle of arguing and having to claim back the money. I read about one couple who were charged 120 euros for cleaning the back seats and boot mat deemed to be smothered in damp sand? Hence my reluctance to change all the time Zest do a competitive deal.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Keith

Zest is one of my goto car hire companies, though for the past couple of years they haven't had the best price (for me).. as a result enough points were recently expired that I've lost my loyalty discount. Perhaps the name change involved a price hike, previously they came up tops a lot of the time.

However they say this

Full Collision Damage Waiver and Full Theft Waiver are included with NO insurance excess liability. Damage to certain parts of the vehicle are excluded but can be covered by our optional top-up insurance.

The top up insurance for one recent (and discarded) ZEST rental I looked at was £90 for these extras on a £143 rental.

My annual rental policy for us both for a year in any European country was c £38 for a rental period of up to 65 days. Multiple rentals.

Below are the things that Zest DONT cover .. that need the £90 top up insurance - if you want. I haven't done a side by side comparison but some of these things are covered by my annual policy, like road rage or car jacking ...

The 2 companies I know of are insurance4carhire and icarhireinsurance the last is mine.

I think anyone renting cars should look at these options and decide which works for them. Also to compare the amounts insured as well.

If you are only renting once for a short visit, then I would recommend taking the rentalco's additional insurance for peace of mind.

However knowing insurance companies, there will be things missing, or small print - so I doubt one could get a perfect policy covering 100%.

Jon

Things not covered in Zests cover, needing the optional top up

Damage to wheels and tyres

Damage to glass

Damage to under body

Damage to roof

Damage to interior

Loss or damage to keys

Loss or damage to locks and lock outs

Misfuelling

Battery failure

Mobile phone charges

Curtailment

Car-jacking

Road rage incidents

Yes, please add the additional cover for £90.00
I've never paid more than about £35 for the additional cover taken out at the time of booking - and as we usually only use a rental once a year then it's cheaper than the multi-cover. We usually choose drive4fun and because we have the Zest additional cover they only hypothecated €300 deposit. That's for a Megane or similar for 2 weeks in Spring. I notice that some of the rentcos on Zest have a big variation in the add-ons, insurance, deposits and fuel policies so it's always reading the small print on each before committing.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I've never paid more than about £35 for the additional cover taken out at the time of booking - and as we usually only use a rental once a year then it's cheaper than the multi-cover. We usually choose drive4fun and because we have the Zest additional cover they only hypothecated €300 deposit. That's for a Megane or similar for 2 weeks in Spring. I notice that some of the rentcos on Zest have a big variation in the add-ons, insurance, deposits and fuel policies so it's always reading the small print on each before committing.
I agree and (as mentioned) if you are rarely renting then I recommend the additional one-off cover as good for 'peace of mind'. Interesting that you've paid a max of £35. The list of things not covered in my previous post, is a cut'n'paste of an actual quote I rejected for price, and if you look at the last item its £90. (It is for a month though, top up is on a daily rate)

However if you are happy to pay say £30 to £35 for a single rental and I pay £38 for an annual/multiple rental for 2 with 65 days, on each rental - wouldn't it be worth paying the £3 -£8 difference, just in case you rent again? Even on an impulse visit, you didn't plan?

Anyway we'll discuss over a beer - or 4 in March!

Jon
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by keithBT
The Border Exit fee isn't always zero - it depends on which car hire company you choose. Zest shows the booking conditions for each company.

Ref excess car insurance there are a few more companies listed on Martin Lewis' site eg Leisure Guard, with discount codes such as 20% off - see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire .

Regards
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:28 am
Sandra & Munty

Sandraphleb is an unknown quantity at this point

We met a couple a few years ago who had removed the cupboard under the stairs in the hall and opened it up for extra storage and put their tumble dryer under there ( condensing type). It is interesting to see what other people have done.. but in the long run we bought it because we liked it the way it is and as John bxl said for us it is a secondary home and really not worth the upheaval to change anything. But the metal trims on the kitchen worktop are a pain. Ours do not fit properly and move around a lot - maybe a bit of glue would help!... keep it going guys its a great read.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandraphleb
We met a couple a few years ago who had removed the cupboard under the stairs in the hall and opened it up for extra storage and put their tumble dryer under there ( condensing type). It is interesting to see what other people have done.. but in the long run we bought it because we liked it the way it is and as John bxl said for us it is a secondary home and really not worth the upheaval to change anything. But the metal trims on the kitchen worktop are a pain. Ours do not fit properly and move around a lot - maybe a bit of glue would help!... keep it going guys its a great read.
I suspect this is in the wrong thread - perhaps the mods could move it?