Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Priinet problems

Priinet problems

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Priinet problems

Hi

Ive been here nearly a week and Ive had real problems with Priinet, including a total stop for a day.

Its really slow as well, cant stream TV all the time. Well below the 10MBps I pay for. But when it works - it works great. But it hasnt worked well this past week. As slow as 486kb/s. Never near the 10MBps

I heard from a friend that he is finding it variable, and was wondering what others think. My Antenna is really hit by the elements and I think this may be the problem (Ive had 3 already) - but just wondering if anyone is also having issues across CE.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 23rd 2017 at 4:49 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Priinet problems

Jon, On my block on Manzana 3 I was the first to get Priinet. Subsequently four others have joined but we are all off the same line of sight antenna. Originally the antenna just served me. When I arrived in June I had nothing, so I did a hard reset on my router but didn't help. I then went to the comms cabinet to trace my cable and found that I had been placed on on multiplex with the new customers. I found the led was not alight on my outlet. I eventually did a power down / hard reset late at night for about 20 mins on the multiplex and it was fine after that. ( short resets didn't work). Apparently it has been fine this week according to my daughter. Suggest you might want to have a nosey to see how you are being served. You could try twiddling the connectors in case of poor connection. My / our antenna is original and about 2.5 years old without probs. I found Jorge is always willing to help.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise that priinet were plexing signals. I assumed that we each had a dedicated aerial. How can they offer the same QOS as when we did have a dedicated aerial? With up to 4 sharing the same downlink there is bound to be some degradation.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I didn't realise that priinet were plexing signals. I assumed that we each had a dedicated aerial. How can they offer the same QOS as when we did have a dedicated aerial? With up to 4 sharing the same downlink there is bound to be some degradation.
Mike,

It's up to Priinet to deliver the service you contracted for, irrespective of how many users' connections are sharing an aerial - which is standard stuff in the telecoms business eg mobile services work this way.

Regards

Fred
Old Aug 25th 2017, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

same goes with broadband from Virgin Media using coax cable in the UK; the more people in your street using the same provider (Virgin Media) the slower it gets...
Old Aug 27th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Jon, On my block on Manzana 3 I was the first to get Priinet. Subsequently four others have joined but we are all off the same line of sight antenna. Originally the antenna just served me. When I arrived in June I had nothing, so I did a hard reset on my router but didn't help. I then went to the comms cabinet to trace my cable and found that I had been placed on on multiplex with the new customers. I found the led was not alight on my outlet. I eventually did a power down / hard reset late at night for about 20 mins on the multiplex and it was fine after that. ( short resets didn't work). Apparently it has been fine this week according to my daughter. Suggest you might want to have a nosey to see how you are being served. You could try twiddling the connectors in case of poor connection. My / our antenna is original and about 2.5 years old without probs. I found Jorge is always willing to help.
Thanks Keith.

My line is a dedicated antenna wire going directly from the black box then the router. We had to make a special installation due to some problem.

Jorge is great but is on holiday - but even so he called the engineers for me, but there is a huge delay in any response (still waiting for the engineers to come after a week - which included 2 emails and another chat with Christina). I am getting variable speeds. I have had a great 14.9MB at night (Im an insomniac). But during 'normal hours' it varies horribly down to as low as 300Kbs (worst case) Last night we were streaming TV and it was buffering and a troubled image. Other times we have perfect HD streaming on 2 devices simultaneously.

Its Priinet that have given me 3 antennas to fix previous problems. But I may have been one of the earliest on CE and was the person that introduced Priinet on this AC forum page - so Ive had a long run at it. One of the antennas was a special parabolic device... that they changed that for a new one last year that can pick up both horizontal and vertical phased signals. It was pretty rusted out, as we have one of the worst locations for the weather that seems to kill everything in CE over time. I have something roped down - in 3 months the rope is frayed away!

What concerns me is that we are getting both poor and good reception. When they changed antennas before we had problems all the time. Conversely you've had good reception all the time - so that leads me to believe its the antenna again.

I also have an outstanding question with them as to whether they can provide the service I pay for (10MB) at ANY time EVEN in high season. As performance drops in busy times. Id be happy to get 7MB+ at all times actually (I'm not). Just now I have between 3.6 and 5MB/s. Sunday morning

Keith please can you explain how you do the hard reset. I power off for 20 mins and then what please? Worth a go as is twiddling

Thanks
Jon
Old Aug 27th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

"With the Router powered on, press and hold the WPS/RESET button (more than 10 seconds) until the SYS LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flash. Then release the button and wait the Router to reboot to its factory default settings. If you are on the management page, you could use the Factory Defaults function."

From my TP Link manual - which is the same router as priinet use.

Note: A hard reset will restore your device to factory default settings. You should reconfigure the device from scratch or you can load the configuration file you have backed up before the reset.

Last edited by MikeJ; Aug 27th 2017 at 8:30 am.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 8:41 am
BE Positive

"With the Router powered on, press and hold the WPS/RESET button (more than 10 seconds) until the SYS LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flash. Then release the button and wait the Router to reboot to its factory default settings. If you are on the management page, you could use the Factory Defaults function."

From my TP Link manual - which is the same router as priinet use.

Note: A hard reset will restore your device to factory default settings. You should reconfigure the device from scratch or you can load the configuration file you have backed up before the reset.
Thanks Mike as ever you impress me with your technical know-how!

Gosh I have to do a configuration file - errr didn't see that coming Priinet have made a LOT of changes to the factory router settings - they have been over many times, over the years. They have in fact told me not to mess with them.

Since I am not that good on this IT stuff, I think I'll leave it to the engineers, when they eventually come. I don't know how to do a config file and could easily mess it up.

I have to say I am a bit peeved at the moment. I suspect they cant support heavy usage in high season requiring more bandwidth. But I really want them to succeed and deliver as for us they have the best formula. When it works we are delighted.

Also I'd like to check if Keith does a config file as part of his reset, or if he has like Baldric, ................ 'a cunning plan!' ... Just in case he has another way.

Thanks
Jon
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's quite straight forward as you can see from the utube tutorials, however I expect that your main problem will be that you don't have the u'name/password.
You can try admin/admin which is the default or usually there is a master password on a label underneath (although that will automatically do the reset to factory setting so defeats the object )
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jon, It's bank holiday weekend in the UK and its BBQ weather hence have not checked my emails earlier. Being a former GPO/BT telephone engr - trained late 60's & ended up planning new digital exchanges to replace analogue - I thought I could cope with most things but I am NOT a computer wizard. My son has kinda followed in my technical shoes and he IS a Computer / comms wizard. Back in June when all else failed I contacted my son and ran through some bits , but basicly you can only really power down. I call that a hard reset. Back in early May my son was with us at the duplex and he tried to reconfigure the router by going back to factory settings, in order for the printer to operate in a better manner. ( Ryanair bdg passes). DON'T DO THIS. Apparently the routers are LOCKED DOWN with a password that only is known to Priinet. He didn't know this but it is too late to find out once you have gone down the factory reset route. YOU get locked out !! He spoke to Jorge who had to come out and reload the password & reset at a call out cost of 20 euros. If the routers were not locked down the system is open to hacking by clever people.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:44 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi Jon, It's bank holiday weekend in the UK and its BBQ weather hence have not checked my emails earlier. Being a former GPO/BT telephone engr - trained late 60's & ended up planning new digital exchanges to replace analogue - I thought I could cope with most things but I am NOT a computer wizard. My son has kinda followed in my technical shoes and he IS a Computer / comms wizard. Back in June when all else failed I contacted my son and ran through some bits , but basicly you can only really power down. I call that a hard reset. Back in early May my son was with us at the duplex and he tried to reconfigure the router by going back to factory settings, in order for the printer to operate in a better manner. ( Ryanair bdg passes). DON'T DO THIS. Apparently the routers are LOCKED DOWN with a password that only is known to Priinet. He didn't know this but it is too late to find out once you have gone down the factory reset route. YOU get locked out !! He spoke to Jorge who had to come out and reload the password & reset at a call out cost of 20 euros. If the routers were not locked down the system is open to hacking by clever people.
Thanks so much Mike and Keith for your time and trouble.

I will try a long power off as the hard reset, I misunderstood Keith thinking yours was a 2 step process - sorry.

I wont have the PW and I think it isn't admin/admin, and Im a bit nervous to touch anything as I am not happy at the moment with HUGE delays at Priinet, 10 days now with no engineer calling. With Jorge out the process fails.

So I don't want to make an error and then have them blame me - especially as I have the upper hand re their poor service. Also Keith if your son is a whizz and had troubles then I hesitate more. Im a chicken!!

We had a night in and had real buffering problems tonight... so are reading books instead. Shame.

Thanks again Mike and Keith

Jon
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:10 am
BE Positive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEACM_XnN2M

It's quite straight forward as you can see from the utube tutorials, however I expect that your main problem will be that you don't have the u'name/password.
You can try admin/admin which is the default or usually there is a master password on a label underneath (although that will automatically do the reset to factory setting so defeats the object )
Hi Mike

I couldn't even get to the first step here to the log in page, using the 192.168.0.1 ... so maybe I have a weird set up. I know they've been several times and 'messed about' a lot.

Very disappointing, I'm using google translate and texts to make contact now, as emails aren't working. What a drag. Sods law that I came and had troubles when Jorge is on Holiday. Christina speaks English, called me last week after mails and texts from me, (and after Jorge promised to call the engineers from holiday) she was promising help, but everything went quiet after. 11 days and counting - no fix!!

Jon
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:29 am
BE Positive

Priinet finally came and changed the antenna, this is no 4 maybe 5 so far and each one is different!

So far I have a good signal, but will see if it survives high evening usage..... Hope so.

Thanks for all the advice/help.

Jon
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like you need a weather-tight enclosure for your aerial - something like a radome!
Perhaps you could design and fabricate one? Form a suitably sized globe from wire mesh and then cover it in carbon fibre. If you connect the wire mesh to earth then you will also protect it from lightning strike.

Last edited by MikeJ; Aug 31st 2017 at 3:29 pm.