Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for advice

Newbie looking for advice

Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Jamboman1874 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie looking for advice

Hi All

Considering a purchase and Ayamonte consistently looks best mainland value, as a Scotsman that is a major issue. Before I consider a site visit I would be grateful for some information that would help me in my research.

New or Second hand, what would be Best?

Not planning on having car what is walking like for getting in and out of town ?

What is public transport like ?

Municipal facilities, is there gym or leisure facilities?

Local taxes, how do they compare with other mainland areas

I will review the restaurant thread but is there a decent variety and choice

Thanks in advance forange info.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie looking for advice

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamboman1874
Hi All

Considering a purchase and Ayamonte consistently looks best mainland value, as a Scotsman that is a major issue. Before I consider a site visit I would be grateful for some information that would help me in my research.

New or Second hand, what would be Best?
There are plenty of new properties available - many are bank foreclosures and can be had for a very good price - but be aware that many have been empty for a while and may need more or less work to bring them up to standard. The second user market is a bit flat and asking prices vary - Brits may be more flexible on price if they want a quick sale - Spanish owners tend to try and hold out for top prices. Second hand properties have the advantage that they have been 'sorted' and most will have aircon and all services installed.

Not planning on having car what is walking like for getting in and out of town ?
Depends on which part of Ayamonte you are considering:
  • Costa Esuri does have a minimal bus service but a car is a definite advantage.
  • Isla Canela is on the beach and does have a better bus service into town so a car is more marginal- but the properties tend to be apartments designed for summer visitors and you get less for your money (except the beach of course)
  • Town centre obviously you can get around on foot or by bus.
However, you will definitely miss out on many of the delights of the region if you don't have transport - including the fantastic range of beaches; the hinterland and villages and of course the more historical towns and cities in the area. Remember that you have both Spain and Portugal (the Algarve) to explore.

What is public transport like ?
Cheap but variable reliability

Municipal facilities, is there gym or leisure facilities?
There are many good facilities in Ayamonte and across the river in Villa Real (short ferry trip). Villa Real is where both Team GB Olympics team and the England Football team do summer training so the sport facilities are first/world class. Ayamonte does have an excellent swimming pool and its own football stadium. I am not into gyms myself so can't comment but I have friends who go.

Local taxes, how do they compare with other mainland areas
A lot cheaper than the UK but I don't know comparatives - there must be a web site somewhere that will tell you.

I will review the restaurant thread but is there a decent variety and choice
Huelva Province - which includes Ayamonte - has just been awarded gastronomic capital of Europe. Restaurants are many and varied with meals at all prices from Menu del Dia at around 6-8€ for 3 course plus a drink up to very expensive (by local standards!) Don't forget that you would have the choice of both Spanish and Portuguese cuisine. The latter is probably more cosmopolitan than Spain which tends towards traditional dishes and seafood.

Thanks in advance forange info.

See above inserts.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Jamboman1874 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
See above inserts.
Thanks that is a great help.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
See above inserts.