Marina Esuri

Old Sep 19th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marina Esuri

Mike, I've just rewritten to your PM box.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Mike, I've just rewritten to your PM box.
Thanks Keith - received and replied
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:24 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Thanks Keith - received and replied
Hi please can you pm me the info on the gutters please.

We have had a (lets say) very 'unsatisfactory' gutter installation and communication process in our manzana. So I'd like to hear other feedback.

Re caretakers I think having a good caretaker is like gold dust the M7 & M6 caretakers are excellent, & are worth paying a good price for. I dont know the others.

I have mixed feelings about Gesprosur, I've met the boss to discuss customer satisfaction - was made promises that haven't been honoured. BUT I dont believe changing for possibly a cheaper company will be a good idea, and agree with Mike on that. Gesprosur win for me, mainly as they have recruited great caretakers in our Manzana and M7. This is the main 'interface' for me - the rest is administration, and though it is not always satisfactory, I suspect its the best we can get. "Better the devil you know"

After over a decade in Spain, I also have no faith in choosing & giving business to any company who is a member of someone's family or a friend of someone etc.

So I am, in the end, all things considered willing to stick with Gesprosur.

Jon
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi please can you pm me the info on the gutters please.

We have had a (lets say) very 'unsatisfactory' gutter installation and communication process in our manzana. So I'd like to hear other feedback.

Re caretakers I think having a good caretaker is like gold dust the M7 & M6 caretakers are excellent, & are worth paying a good price for. I dont know the others.

I have mixed feelings about Gesprosur, I've met the boss to discuss customer satisfaction - was made promises that haven't been honoured. BUT I dont believe changing for possibly a cheaper company will be a good idea, and agree with Mike on that. Gesprosur win for me, mainly as they have recruited great caretakers in our Manzana and M7. This is the main 'interface' for me - the rest is administration, and though it is not always satisfactory, I suspect its the best we can get. "Better the devil you know"

After over a decade in Spain, I also have no faith in choosing & giving business to any company who is a member of someone's family or a friend of someone etc.

So I am, in the end, all things considered willing to stick with Gesprosur.

Jon
Couldn't agree more Jon, Francisco is a godsend. Last year on our Manzana there was an attempt, by a group of neighbours, to oust Gesprosur & although the management fees may have been lowered (had they been voted in) I believe Francisco would have lost his job. He would have been a huge loss & apart from the fact that the garden etc would have gone down hill, he is a really good person. Bryony
Old Sep 21st 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jon, I will forward the PM I sent to Mike. I had no idea there was a move to oust Gesprosur as our estate managers. I am not happy with the situation, but if you do not attend the agm's then you can't complain too much either. I bought my duplex to use any time of year EXCEPT high season, and unfortunately our agm seems to be August every year. I'm afraid Ayamonte is way too busy for me in high season, too many people & nowhere to park. I did try August in 2014 and it just doesn't suit me. Too many people around / in the pool and quite noisy. Having achieved UK state retirement age, I just want a bit of warmth, good food, a good book and peace & quiet. I'm very able at doing very little whilst at ME as I still live quite a busy life in the UK. Too have to venture thru Faro airport in August just for an agm would not be something I would enjoy.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

WOW, THE MINUTES OF THE m3 AGM HAVE JUST ARRIVED, via MM abogados.
I am seriously trying to understand them, but the translation they used to english does not make a whole lot of sense. In essence, I think we have a new pres & vice pres and a company in Huelva controlling it all. It was overwhelmingly voted IN by 21 - 0, so my presence would have made no difference. Perhaps those of us on M3 need to have an open mind and hope that it is for the best. Only time will tell.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, THE MINUTES OF THE m3 AGM HAVE JUST ARRIVED, via MM abogados.
I am seriously trying to understand them, but the translation they used to english does not make a whole lot of sense. In essence, I think we have a new pres & vice pres and a company in Huelva controlling it all. It was overwhelmingly voted IN by 21 - 0, so my presence would have made no difference. Perhaps those of us on M3 need to have an open mind and hope that it is for the best. Only time will tell.
I don't want to rub it in but such a fundamental change usually requires unanimity
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:33 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon, I will forward the PM I sent to Mike. I had no idea there was a move to oust Gesprosur as our estate managers. I am not happy with the situation, but if you do not attend the agm's then you can't complain too much either. I bought my duplex to use any time of year EXCEPT high season, and unfortunately our agm seems to be August every year. I'm afraid Ayamonte is way too busy for me in high season, too many people & nowhere to park. I did try August in 2014 and it just doesn't suit me. Too many people around / in the pool and quite noisy. Having achieved UK state retirement age, I just want a bit of warmth, good food, a good book and peace & quiet. I'm very able at doing very little whilst at ME as I still live quite a busy life in the UK. Too have to venture thru Faro airport in August just for an agm would not be something I would enjoy.

Thanks Keith and Mike for the PM's - I have replied directly to you both with all the info.

Also that we agree that having good caretakers are critical to running of the Manzana's.

I have had a very frustrating time over the past few months of this guttering fiasco - and only now have I heard about all these problems as a result of the installations and what appears to be poor quality work (perhaps unprofessional even?)

Over here we see many homes with no gutters, I wonder if that means that there is a lack of understanding on how to do it properly.

Its a mess!

Jon
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I reckon there is a good architectural reason why southern Spanish houses, in general, do not have gutters. The precipitation is quite different to what we are used to in Northern Europe. We need to think about the prime reason for gutters - it is to protect the building walls from prolonged saturation which will damage them. ie gutters work well for persistent rain and melting snow. In S. Spain we tend to have short sharp and very heavy downpours and roofs are designed to shoot the heavy rainwater out and away from the walls. Viz what Keith has experienced with the gutters already fitted - they are useless in very heavy rain, which tends to be the norm around here.

Our current thinking in ME is for the gutters to stop water from the roof from landing on the lower patios. I don't know about you but I don't tend to go out onto the patio when it's raining heavily. We are in a ground floor apartment so you would expect that we would get the most benefit. Frankly, I don't see it. What we do find annoying is the ongoing dripping from the gargoyles once the sun has dried out the patio, which leaves limescale buildup on the patio and drips on us when we are sunbathing.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the guttering as proposed is not a good investment. I reckon that the ducted gargoyles with (plastic) downpipes may be the better, and probably cheaper, way to go. Maybe some of the existing downpipes should be examined to see if the fears of blockage are real. Some of them have been there for 10 years. Even if they were to get blocked then it is not a big job to repair them on an ad-hoc maintenance basis.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to Mike who has summed this saga up most eloquently. Hopefully, the remaining manzanas might elect for a more cost effective job as described by Mike trialing a network plastic downpipes. The only problem is that this would be quite cheap, hence not much profit for the installer. I've seen all this before in industry.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:53 am
BE Positive

Thanks to Mike who has summed this saga up most eloquently. Hopefully, the remaining manzanas might elect for a more cost effective job as described by Mike trialing a network plastic downpipes. The only problem is that this would be quite cheap, hence not much profit for the installer. I've seen all this before in industry.
I agree with you both - but its a shame that we have to learn all this by hindsight.

This was a high-ticket item for the manzanas, and its a shame that no proper advice was taken, especially if this this is a known and local situation, as you say Mike. Also annoying, that in this known-Spanish-environment, the actual local gutter installers don't therefore have a professional solution. If it is standard practice to not have gutters over here.... there MUST be some knowledge of how to install them in an appropriate way, in this environment. OR even to advise NOT to do it!

Its also only in the past couple of days that I've learned of these problems, but these were known previously and other installations were continued with (it appears) no corrective action.

The M6 installation wasn't even completed - and needed another admin process with another AGM to give the go ahead to finish. There was no check at the end of the project that we had gotten what we paid for!

I had to point out the problem to the management and even sent them a photo of it. Yet it is so obvious to see when you compare the other installations and just look upward for a couple of seconds! It will happen now apparently as a result of a discussion at the last AGM.

However I now wonder if the problems others have will happen to us, UNLESS they actually learn from their errors and finish our installation properly.

I wont be holding my breath for that. We can see this whole gutter-saga is a mess. I say that if we do a job it should be done properly and professionally or not do it (+ not spend) at all

I think we should not be 'early adopters' of new projects and the other Manzanas now have some facts to base any future gutter decision on. If I was in e.g say M7 - I would not vote for a gutter installation, unless some pretty firm guarantees were given and some professional consultation was taken. I suppose, at least the problems/experiences some have had will help others in making a more informed decision.

Its one thing to have 'odd projects' around ME - but totally unacceptable that ones home is messed up and flooded because of poor quality (or even incomplete!!) installation... heart-breaking even.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 23rd 2017 at 7:04 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I’ll try not to be contentious but you have asked for opinions and I assume you mean ‘warts and all’

Not quite sure what you are blaming on Gesprosur – they administer the Manzana on behalf of the owners; directed on a day-to-day basis by the community President. If you are paying €1000 pm to your gardener then that is because the community decided to do that (by agreeing to the budget presented at the AGM). If you wanted to pay more or less then that is when it should have been raised and changed. IMHO €1000 is not a great wage when you take out social security payments, tax etc.

In our Manzana, we pay a bit more than that for a dedicated concierge service. Our concierge has been with us for a number of years and has proved himself invaluable. He does an awful lot more than just gardening.
[BTW if you mow much more than an inch off the Spanish grass type you will expose the tender shoots to the hot sun which will burn them and kill them off and very soon you will have a waste ground. Little and often is the best bet. You cannot expect a bowling green lawn]

At one time there was a movement towards getting a cheaper solution. Some residents proposed (a friend from Huelva) to take over the management. On further inquiries, it transpired that the services would be provided by ad-hoc contractors on what we in the UK would recognise as a zero hours contracts. The implication was that we would have a series of nameless people having intimate access to the Manzana. Many of us thought that this was a severe security risk and had doubts about the quality of service we would actually get. We were happier with the continuity of a well-known and trusted employee on a decent contract which provides him with a living wage and a degree of loyalty in return. The work he does keeping the environment maintained is protecting our investment (who wants to buy a beautiful apartment if it is set in the middle of a waste land).

In the early days and in the period around the collapse of Fedesa the community charge was set at a level needed to support the community based on the number of owners. A little while later it became technically feasible to reduce the charge. At that time it was decided by the majority to keep the charge more or less as it was. This incremental amount which nobody really missed has allowed a contingency fund to be built up. The parable of the ant and the grasshopper springs to mind . This fund has allowed us to commission a number of improvements to the Manzana, including the complete repaint; relining of the pool; improvement of the pool filtration which will improve hygiene and reduce running costs in the longer term; landscaping and new planting which generally improves the attractiveness – and our enjoyment – of our Manzana, Next year we will be installing improved guttering and drainage. All this without having to make extraordinary increases in the community charge.

ISTM that Gesprosur is being blamed for the management failures of the community or bad or short term decisions in the past. You may be throwing the baby out with the bath water. I have no particular brief for Gesprosur but our Manzana has experience of the main management protagonists and effectively carried out a competitive tender to choose Gesprosur (based on value, not just cost) and they have performed well since then. It is telling that 5 of the 7 Manzanas and the Intercommunity are administered by Gesprosur. You may get cheaper but I suspect you are unlikely to get better - simple economics says that you get what you pay for (as long as you manage it !)
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I need to correct my earlier post on the 14th sept where I stated we pay 1000 euros a month for seemingly not very much for the gardener. It has been brought to my attention by PM that this was 2015 figures. M3 manzana has actually been paying 1550 euros in the summer months and 1200 in the winter months. Hence my consideration that it was poor value for what we received was worse than originally thought. Being a smaller manzana compared to M1,2,6 & 7 it would be difficult to justify a full time concierge but in retrospect I wish we could have shared a full time concierge with say m5 had this been possible. Again, in retrospect, it does not now surprise me that the Spanish owners got together and had a coup. It is just possible they were right.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I need to correct my earlier post on the 14th sept where I stated we pay 1000 euros a month for seemingly not very much for the gardener. It has been brought to my attention by PM that this was 2015 figures. M3 manzana has actually been paying 1550 euros in the summer months and 1200 in the winter months. Hence my consideration that it was poor value for what we received was worse than originally thought. Being a smaller manzana compared to M1,2,6 & 7 it would be difficult to justify a full time concierge but in retrospect I wish we could have shared a full time concierge with say m5 had this been possible. Again, in retrospect, it does not now surprise me that the Spanish owners got together and had a coup. It is just possible they were right.
Though I would guess that nepotism trumped economy. What's the hourly rate for a contract gardener? Gesprosur would pay around the same as anyone else I would hazard a guess. You might like to look at the management fee rather than the jobbing gardener. In our experience the proposed new-entrant bid a very low fee but some of us fully expected that to be rapidly inflated once the contract was agreed. Our main criteria was VFM rather than simple cost. Still, if you get organised next year maybe you can get Gesprosur back
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Without doubt, it is going to be an interesting 12 months ahead. I just hope its not too painful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.