Gas engineer

Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

flashyblade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas engineer

We had a gas engineer ring our doorbell this afternoon in Vista Esuri. If we understood correctly (our Spanish is sketchy) he was suggesting that our gas boiler had to be checked every five years. We had ours maintained last September, so we sent him away on the basis we didn’t need him. But we wondered if he was just a chancer, or if there's a legal requirement in Spain?
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas engineer

Originally Posted by flashyblade
We had a gas engineer ring our doorbell this afternoon in Vista Esuri. If we understood correctly (our Spanish is sketchy) he was suggesting that our gas boiler had to be checked every five years. We had ours maintained last September, so we sent him away on the basis we didn’t need him. But we wondered if he was just a chancer, or if there's a legal requirement in Spain?
If I remember correctly it should be done every 2 years. Without this there is a problem with insurance claims.

The gas company will do it with a registered engineer and bill you on your normal bill. I did that.

Note I queried the insurance issue with Gesprosur, my problem being if another resident had a fire that messed up our apartment, and wasn't covered for the non-maintenance of their boiler - then I would be in trouble.

They couldn't answer.

Jon
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

AliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond repute

They will send you a reminder letter to set up another appointment
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:49 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceB
They will send you a reminder letter to set up another appointment
In my case I had to organise the maintenance appointment with the help of my keyholder, they took over a year to come. I was late with the maintenance therefore. There was a previous thread about this warning people to get it done to be properly insured and that triggered me. At the time I was late, the thread was a great wake up call.

I hope they do send a reminder letter thanks for updating me with that, but I am suspicious and need to double check the dates, its been a while. Coming up to 2 years I think, but if the rules are for every 5 years I am OK. If its every 2 years and it takes them a year to get off their rear-ends again, I will be late.

My problem is of a legal nature, as I am sure that others have not maintained their boilers and so there might be a possibility of their insurance not covering 'collateral damage' to my place - in case of fire caused by their boiler. My insurance may not pay, as its the other persons fault. Catch 22: Also its Fadesa you can bet they bought the cheapest boilers!!

Gesprosur couldn't help me with this issue. After a long discussion on Email.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 5th 2016 at 7:55 am.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

flashyblade is an unknown quantity at this point

We were lucky (or they are efficient). We called the Gas Company back the next morning and they came back that night. All sorted. We'd had the boiler examined last autumn after another boiler in our bloque blew a pipe, due to furring. That caused chaos, so it was definitely worth getting it sorted.

We are considering switching to gas bottles. Does anyone know the cost of that? It would be good to lose the standing charge if we could.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Fiberite is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed to an electric boiler. Abot 180 euros installed. No standing charge and is proving to be inexpensive to run.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:59 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fiberite
I changed to an electric boiler. Abot 180 euros installed. No standing charge and is proving to be inexpensive to run.
Hi is that basically a sort of immersion heater type please? So you heat up a reservoir of water. (I'm guessing it is - otherwise you'd have to radically increase the 'potencia' of the electrical connection)

Also, does the shower still give hot water at mains pressure, please?

Finally when you installed it does it take up all the space? We have a washing machine under our gas boiler and we have no other place for it. So it has to be above that - but also if its a reservoir type, it has to be big enough in volume for handling a full apartment with 3 beds, in our case(not that we often have a full house, but we could do sometimes - so have to prepare for that eventuality)

Thanks in advance, and if you have a contact please let us know

Jon
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

AliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond reputeAliceB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashyblade
We were lucky (or they are efficient). We called the Gas Company back the next morning and they came back that night. All sorted. We'd had the boiler examined last autumn after another boiler in our bloque blew a pipe, due to furring. That caused chaos, so it was definitely worth getting it sorted.

We are considering switching to gas bottles. Does anyone know the cost of that? It would be good to lose the standing charge if we could.
Switch to bottle, best decision we and several friends have made . We used a great local gas engineer, Francisco, who speaks English. Similar cost, in the region, to that mentioned for electric boiler. I will pm his number and more details if you want it.
Once converted you will receive a certificate to take to the shop in town to get your "contract" to buy the bottles, take that paper to the supplier / petrol station and hey presto,,, bottle gas, no standing charge and in our case, better and more consistent pressure.
The cost of the first bottle varies.. sometimes they require a "deposit" (in the region of €30+gas charge) yet at other times you can simply get your first bottle for the cost of the gas; varies between €12 to €15, not by outlet but by general gas price variations.
Recommend at least two bottles for ease of changeover.
Also, Francisco can/will get your bottles if you can't be bothered going to town.
Good luck
Old Jul 6th 2016, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jon
Yes it is bit like an immersion heater but massively insulated ( you don't feel any heat if you touch it). Not sure what the capacity is but plently of hot water for our needs(2).
We run ours on the economy setting and water pressure is as good if not better than gas heater provided. The boiler is positioned in much the same place as gas one was above the wash machine. Friends of ours have a 3 bed place and say they have plenty of water when the family stays and can run two showers together as long as people do not linger.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

I have a horizontal rather than vertical electric heater, so plenty of room for the washing machine. Not all electric heaters can be mounted horizontally (majority can't) bought from and mounted by Francisco as above. I think ours is 80 litres but with the thermostat you up the temperature so mix with more cold to get six people showered.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon, I fitted a 100 litre electric heater from Leroy merlin. Very heavily insulated and made by a bosch subsidiery. Cost I recall 180 euros to buy and I fitted it myself in the place of the gas heater. It has proven to be excellent. There are six of us here this week and we have not run cold. Better shower pressure than the gas IMO although I don't like the full pressure. I've got 53 cm clearance above the washing machine. Your welcome to have a look !! (M3, E4). Ps. It seems economical enough. It takes close to 2 hrs to heat from cold via a 1.7 Kw element.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Positive

THANKS Fiberite, Luz liver and keithBT this is very interesting. Also keithBT for the offer to visit . Our problem Aliceb is that our utility room, is pretty full so no room for a couple of gas bottles, but thanks also for the feedback.

On another thread we are talking about reducing the potentia, I think I can reduce the standing charge on the electricity (and eliminate the gas charges) by having the boiler on a time switch heating up late at night when we aren't using anything else, ready for a hot shower in the morning, and maybe a boost at lunchtime when we are often out at lunch... And therefore not using something else. I really don't want to have the leccy tripping out when I am reducing the potentia AND adding more load with +/- 2kw boiler.

Also having no gas boiler takes away the need for that regular (and essential) boiler service.... And as I love a power shower good to know that its mains pressure.... Also that it can handle a full house.

Thanks again very useful for me. Could someone please either PM me or post Francisco's contact details.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 10th 2016 at 8:44 am.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Jon
The electric is only used to heat the water in the boiler and then a small amount to keep at desired temp, but it is so well insulated that i do not think much lecky is used once up to temp. So you should not have a problem with tripping out once you have heated up initially.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 11:26 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Beware of anyone knocking on your door without an appointment. The "gas men" that call round here want around 500€ for inspecting your boiler and that includes a "call out" fee. They are chancers but can give you a legal certificate.

Always get the gas man to call when you request it and never allow anyone without an appointment to step over the threshold.

Davexf
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:35 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fiberite
Jon
The electric is only used to heat the water in the boiler and then a small amount to keep at desired temp, but it is so well insulated that i do not think much lecky is used once up to temp. So you should not have a problem with tripping out once you have heated up initially.
Good point, thanks Fiberite .. I guess if I do the first heat up at night it will just need a sort of 'trickle charge'.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.