Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electric Meter Change

Electric Meter Change

Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electric Meter Change

We've been away for a few days and upon our return a letter from Endessa in the post box told us our meter was to be changed. A quick inspection of the meter box revealed it had indeed been changed. Moving about Esuri we have seen an Endessa contractors van parked outside houses and I think the programme of changing meters to the new intelligent meters is underway. These meters can report back to HQ on you electricity use and also be read electronically at you property. A similar programme with much more publicity is underway in U.K. Just how sophisticated these are set up to be I don't know, but they are capable of reading your consumption every second and varying your charges to match the load regionally or nationally. Since our property is relatively new we have always had an electronic meter but this one is different.

My question is we have been on the split tariff mutch cheaper at night-morning, dearer afternoon-evening is that all about to change? We try to profile our use to suit the tariff with heavy load uses overnight and lighter uses in the day. Is this still possible? Will the full capabilities of the new meter be used?
Old Mar 13th 2017, 7:46 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric Meter Change

Hola
It is simply a change of meter nothing else HOWEVER, if you use too much electricity, the new smart meter contains a potencia which trips out. To reset the meter you simply need to throw the mains switch in your box for fifteen seconds. After a full fifteen seconds you can turn the electricity back on.

Davexf
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
We've been away for a few days and upon our return a letter from Endessa in the post box told us our meter was to be changed. A quick inspection of the meter box revealed it had indeed been changed. Moving about Esuri we have seen an Endessa contractors van parked outside houses and I think the programme of changing meters to the new intelligent meters is underway. These meters can report back to HQ on you electricity use and also be read electronically at you property. A similar programme with much more publicity is underway in U.K. Just how sophisticated these are set up to be I don't know, but they are capable of reading your consumption every second and varying your charges to match the load regionally or nationally. Since our property is relatively new we have always had an electronic meter but this one is different.

My question is we have been on the split tariff mutch cheaper at night-morning, dearer afternoon-evening is that all about to change? We try to profile our use to suit the tariff with heavy load uses overnight and lighter uses in the day. Is this still possible? Will the full capabilities of the new meter be used?
There have been horrendous stories about the new smart meters in the UK giving false readings - in some case many thousands of pounds per day! Lets hope that the Spanish meters don't have the same teething problems
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
There have been horrendous stories about the new smart meters in the UK giving false readings - in some case many thousands of pounds per day! Lets hope that the Spanish meters don't have the same teething problems
Yes I have been reading those in my daily liar newsfeed so not sure it is all it seems since I cannot imagine how a dear little pensioner living on her own in a one bed flat could use £19k of electricity in one month. Perhaps more fake news!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
It is simply a change of meter nothing else HOWEVER, if you use too much electricity, the new smart meter contains a potencia which trips out. To reset the meter you simply need to throw the mains switch in your box for fifteen seconds. After a full fifteen seconds you can turn the electricity back on.

Davexf
That's a bu**er we have a three phase 10.4 kw supply with three "fuse" boxes one in each building with the main one in the Casa having a ICP-M trip rated at 20 Amp and we have thrown that a couple of times in ten years when the house has been full and we have been using 3 three kw towel rails and switched the 3 kw kettle on whilst the grandchildren watch a plasma TV and other odds and sods are also on. The pain is that instead of just walking to the hall and switching it back on after admonishing the grandchildren and switching the TV off. Instead I shall have to go outside up three fights of stairs to the front wall to open the meter box to switch it back on!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:54 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
That's a bu**er we have a three phase 10.4 kw supply with three "fuse" boxes one in each building with the main one in the Casa having a ICP-M trip rated at 20 Amp and we have thrown that a couple of times in ten years when the house has been full and we have been using 3 three kw towel rails and switched the 3 kw kettle on whilst the grandchildren watch a plasma TV and other odds and sods are also on. The pain is that instead of just walking to the hall and switching it back on after admonishing the grandchildren and switching the TV off. Instead I shall have to go outside up three fights of stairs to the front wall to open the meter box to switch it back on!
Hola

No idea about three phase electricity, normal single phase is in box normally by the front door - be interested to know what happens with three phase

Davexf