Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving through France - dont get done!

Driving through France - dont get done!

Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving through France - dont get done!

Hi

From July 1 cars driving in certain areas of France will need a 'Crit'air' certificate. Or a fine of 68Euros! A one off lifetime cost of around 5 Eur

I can see this being spread across more of France.. so here is an English site with all the details.

I recommend that you get one if you are driving anywhere in France, as they may make an area 'at risk' at any time - meaning the sticker will need to be displayed.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/e...-aux-questions

This is the FAQ page

Go to HOME and you can then order one with a few clicks, you will need a scan/photo (not more than 400KB) of your reg doc.

Jon

Also http://britishexpats.com/forum/portu.../#post12229676

Do I need an Air Quality Certificate ?

 Is it compulsory to use a certificate ?

For eligible vehicles, the Air Quality Certificate is mandatory for:
- Driving in restricted traffic zones designated by the authorities, such as inside the Paris ring road.
- Driving if differentiated traffic measures have been introduced during pollution episodes.
The certificate also gives you certain benefits set up by local authorities.
An Air Quality Certificate must be affixed even for vehicles and uses exempt from restricted traffic zone and differentiated traffic restrictions.

 Which vehicles is it for ?

It is for all road vehicles, including cars, heavy goods vehicles, buses, coaches, two-wheeled vehicles, commercial vehicles, etc.
It does not apply to agricultural and construction machinery.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jun 11th 2017 at 7:41 am.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 9:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving through France - dont get done!

Hi, it really depends on whether drivers are just passing through, or are stopping off for a bit of tourism in France on their way to Spain/Portugal.
For the moment only the Paris, Grenoble and Lyon Agglomerations are concerned. Other agglomerations, e.g. Lille and Strasbourg, have announced their interest. The only agglomerations likely to affect British drivers on their way South, are Bordeaux and Toulouse who might decide on the rule before 2020.
In any case, Paris, Grenoble and Lyon are the only agglomerations requiring the Crit'Air sticker at the moment and it's easy enough to avoid them if you don't want the hassle of obtaining it.... The others aren't likely to apply the rule "at any time", French drivers are warned about the possibility well in advance!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

well i got an EV so zero emissions
Attached Thumbnails Driving through France - dont get done!-pastille0.png  

Last edited by bitmanev; Jun 11th 2017 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, it really depends on whether drivers are just passing through, or are stopping off for a bit of tourism in France on their way to Spain/Portugal.
For the moment only the Paris, Grenoble and Lyon Agglomerations are concerned. Other agglomerations, e.g. Lille and Strasbourg, have announced their interest. The only agglomerations likely to affect British drivers on their way South, are Bordeaux and Toulouse who might decide on the rule before 2020.
In any case, Paris, Grenoble and Lyon are the only agglomerations requiring the Crit'Air sticker at the moment and it's easy enough to avoid them if you don't want the hassle of obtaining it.... The others aren't likely to apply the rule "at any time", French drivers are warned about the possibility well in advance!
I would still recommend getting it for 4.80 Euros, one-off payment. You are covered for life. So no worries if sometime in the future you decide to go through one of the monitored areas... current or future.

In Belgium we don't have this system, but they will at any time decide if there is a pollution risk, and for example the E40 is the motorway you take when (say) coming from Calais and crossing into Belgium, heading towards Ghent, Brussels etc. If they feel there is a problem they will put a 90KM/H speed limit.

Sure the French will give advance warning, but Paris agreements and climate change rulings are probably going to increase. I for one am getting it and then its done and I'm covered.

Likewise I also got the telepeage PAYG transponder allowing us to go straight through the French motorway tolls, with direct payment to a credit card, and you only pay a little charge for the month you use the tolls, free for other months. We aren't huge users - but these things make life easier.

We also bought a new car, a couple of weeks ago, shifting from our Diesel car, as diesels are going to be targeted in the future. Now we are worry free for that, tolls and in a few days time the Crit Air.

Better safe than sorry!

BTW I am amazed at the technology in cars nowadays it will take me a few weeks to figure it all out!

Jon
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I would still recommend getting it for 4.80 Euros, one-off payment. You are covered for life. So no worries if sometime in the future you decide to go through one of the monitored areas... current or future.

In Belgium we don't have this system, but they will at any time decide if there is a pollution risk, and for example the E40 is the motorway you take when (say) coming from Calais and crossing into Belgium, heading towards Ghent, Brussels etc. If they feel there is a problem they will put a 90KM/H speed limit.

Sure the French will give advance warning, but Paris agreements and climate change rulings are probably going to increase. I for one am getting it and then its done and I'm covered.

Likewise I also got the telepeage PAYG transponder allowing us to go straight through the French motorway tolls, with direct payment to a credit card, and you only pay a little charge for the month you use the tolls, free for other months. We aren't huge users - but these things make life easier.

We also bought a new car, a couple of weeks ago, shifting from our Diesel car, as diesels are going to be targeted in the future. Now we are worry free for that, tolls and in a few days time the Crit Air.

Better safe than sorry!

BTW I am amazed at the technology in cars nowadays it will take me a few weeks to figure it all out!

Jon
Fair enough, if you often travel all over France, it's worthwhile for your peace of mind! Likewise the Télépéage badge...
Old Jun 12th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by dmu
Fair enough, if you often travel all over France, it's worthwhile for your peace of mind! Likewise the Télépéage badge...
Thanks, also people should check it out - if they plan on driving down to say Spain through France, from time to time.

This comment (below) is from the government site and similar experiences in nearby Belgium, and then the peace of mind of knowing you are covered is worth it for me....

(And, on another topic, I love going through the tolls at 30km/h whilst others are queuing! Even though we don't use it much.)

Jon

Is it compulsory to use a certificate ?

Driving if differentiated traffic measures have been introduced during pollution episodes
Old Jun 12th 2017, 9:50 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by bitmanev
well i got an EV so zero emissions
Good on you! A good citizen of the polluted world!

Just ordered mine I'm just one up on you - so not quite as good a citizen, but nearly so.

Have fun in your electric car!

Jon
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

i'm already on my 2nd EV
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by bitmanev
i'm already on my 2nd EV
I realise this is off topic, but I wish the car companies standardised the batteries.

A more 'powerful' car would have more standard batteries.....

But, here's the key point, you dont own them.

When charge is low, go to a garage and simply replace the batteries with some sort of quick change tool. Your old battery(s) goes to the back of the queue for charging.

There is technology available to ensure the battery is still in good condition when you take it.

Just like you change/top up fuel, you do the same with EV's and therefore have unlimited mileage. And, of course, no waiting time to charge. Then we could see garages everywhere with the standard batteries, which makes it a business proposition.

Just a thought.... We tend to do long trips (e.g 2500kms Brussels Esuri) and so for us the EV is out (sadly) - though hybrids would work.

Jon
Old Jun 13th 2017, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande-ext/cgu

Rather biased

In the alphabetical list of non French countries Germany is first?

Gibraltar does not exist
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I realise this is off topic, but I wish the car companies standardised the batteries.

A more 'powerful' car would have more standard batteries.....

But, here's the key point, you dont own them.

When charge is low, go to a garage and simply replace the batteries with some sort of quick change tool. Your old battery(s) goes to the back of the queue for charging.

There is technology available to ensure the battery is still in good condition when you take it.

Just like you change/top up fuel, you do the same with EV's and therefore have unlimited mileage. And, of course, no waiting time to charge. Then we could see garages everywhere with the standard batteries, which makes it a business proposition.

Just a thought.... We tend to do long trips (e.g 2500kms Brussels Esuri) and so for us the EV is out (sadly) - though hybrids would work.

Jon

I have tried using online sites for charging stations to plot a route from UK to Gib and also Gib to Sagres
It's impossible to do either of those trips.

Also some charging stations appear to be located in hotels with only one occasionally two charging points, this is not promoting EV ownership.