Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

Old May 3rd 2017, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Now that Filmon is no longer free what do you use for UKTV?
Or do you pay a subscription?
we use unlocator smart dns on an anual subscription which is very little via an android box and watch the iplayer and itv player live streams. Had no need to use filmon once we got the fiber.
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

life is getting better every day fibre; bring it on but only 50mb? hopefully only as a start :-D
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Strange you should say that!! My husband is convinced he was sold 350mb... I just say he missheard!!
We just get on with it!! Better than before. No more moey.:-)
Old May 4th 2017, 5:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Like you we started with Iberbanda after a false start with Vodafone who told us we could have Internet connection but when they found there was no landline to connect to they renaged on the contract. Getting money back from Vodafone was not fun. We are now with Prinnet however I will move to one of the new providers if it is fast and stable since we have a smart TV. I understand I will need SmartDNS to make full use of it. We currently have Sky mainly for the Discovery type programmes and an android box to watch news and sport but suffer from buffering at times. We also have an aerial and watch some Spanish/Portuguese TV. I suppose if I add it all together it must come to about €80 a month so that would be a good saving. Just got to hope they do not make us wait much longer
As a non techie, pls can someone explain why/if having a smart TV uses more internet vs connecting a pc, tablet or smartphone or Android box? Seems to me that once one is streaming hdtv, say BBC1, it doesnt matter what kit is at the end, its using the same 'bandwith'..........
or 'pipe' surely ?

I understand that we are in a world where you may have several gadgets demanding bandwidth at the SAME time, so one needs a bigger 'pipe'.

I also understand that a dns or vpn breaks the geo-locking to watch say i-player, but do they impose a big 'overhead' on the 'pipe' please?

I find 60-80 euros/month VERY expensive. We spend 25/month with priinet, but do have the advantage of having a Slingbox, which easily paid for itself quickly.

1....... Lets assume priinet delivers 100% service uptime, at the 10 mb we pay for.

2....... Lets assume its just 2 of us both simultaneously streaming hdtv. Me on my pc and BH on tablet. We know from experience that it works perfectly fine, no bufferring.

3...... Also (to level the playing field) lets assume that our slingbox blew up, and we no longer had it, so used dns/vpn therefore taking up more 'overhead'.

4...... Finally, lets assume that we are permanent residents and/or use the 25eur service EVERY month.

Why would we go for the FAR more expensive fibre, please?

Again the need is to have perfect video streaming of hdtv on 2 devices simultaneously,, which we get most of the time (but of course we only notice it when its under performing from time to time)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance
Jon

PS we connect the pc/tablet to our tv, via hdmi - so have the same user-experience - but Im sure this has no effect on the bandwidth of the internet itself.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 4th 2017 at 5:22 am.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

teflon will become famous soon enoughteflon will become famous soon enough

Why not just use a Chromecast plugged into your tv. Use your tablet or even your phone to cast to the screen. You need a vpn on the tablet or phone (make sure you use a vpn that allows bbc iplayer) and away you go. No need to leave the tablet or phone on once connected. I find this a simple solution for me.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teflon
Why not just use a Chromecast plugged into your tv. Use your tablet or even your phone to cast to the screen. You need a vpn on the tablet or phone (make sure you use a vpn that allows bbc iplayer) and away you go. No need to leave the tablet or phone on once connected. I find this a simple solution for me.
Hi Teflon, thanks for the input... I know about Chromecast, and the similar you can get from ebay at a far better price, but hdmi is far easier for us (and uses no extra bandwidth)

However the post wasn't about how to connect to the TV, but more about fibre vs priinet as an ISP - regarding the typical usage and needs we have and the costs of each option

Jon
Old May 21st 2017, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

glaisboy is an unknown quantity at this point

As the thread has gone quiet am I to assume that after pulling in all the fibre-optic cables there is no further news on the internet supply to the Esuri residences.
Old May 21st 2017, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glaisboy
As the thread has gone quiet am I to assume that after pulling in all the fibre-optic cables there is no further news on the internet supply to the Esuri residences.
Correct they first pulled a say 1 inch conduit through the existing ducts and in some places they seem to have fibered the main runs but no one has reported being connected yet. In town early Friday and they were working outside Santader bank slinging the fiber at eaves level and putting in distribution boxes outside some properties at the same high level.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

They (Orange + Tecajel ) have been pulling the subsidiary fibre optics into Marina Esuri today. Apparently each Manzana will have a separate feed. Not sure whether it will be FOTC or FOTP (but no sign of above-ground cabs yet). The service offer will be offered to all households once this is complete IFAIK. No idea what the charges will be yet. Perhaps if anyone has experience of Orange cable elsewhere they could make a guess?

Last edited by MikeJ; Jul 10th 2017 at 9:52 am.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

They (Orange + Tecajel ) have been pulling the subsidiary fibre optics into Marina Esuri today. Apparently each Manzana will have a separate feed. Not sure whether it will be FOTC or FOTP (but no sign of above-ground cabs yet). The service offer will be offered to all households once this is complete IFAIK. No idea what the charges will be yet. Perhaps if anyone has experience of Orange cable elsewhere they could make a guess?
They first put the "pots" in outside the main gate entrances to Marina Esuri then Vista Esuri (not sure about Encinas or La Jara yet) then they started to pull the fibre into each Manzana and Bloque in Vista so I assume they have done the same on Marina. What they do inside the Bloque no one has reported yet nor whether they have they made any cost proposals. The idea was there would be 4 competing providers who would make offers. Certainly Movistar, Vodafone and Orange were three.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
They first put the "pots" in outside the main gate entrances to Marina Esuri then Vista Esuri (not sure about Encinas or La Jara yet) then they started to pull the fibre into each Manzana and Bloque in Vista so I assume they have done the same on Marina. What they do inside the Bloque no one has reported yet nor whether they have they made any cost proposals. The idea was there would be 4 competing providers who would make offers. Certainly Movistar, Vodafone and Orange were three.
They have terminated the FO cables inside the Telecoms closet in each of the central services area blocks in the Manzana. Presumably there will be a distribution panel and cables will be run into any apartment which subscribes.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I spoke to Priinet a few weeks ago... when they came to fix a problem (Antenna worn out - better one attached).

They don't feel that the fibre will be a competition. Their understanding of the initial opening offers are that they are good, but after x months the pricing goes way over theirs.

We'll see - but they genuinely didn't seem perturbed at all. If they can deliver the speed - their formula will win for our usage and particularly the drop in price when we are away.

Jon
I'm with you on this Jon. Prinet came up with a good offering way back which, like you, I signed up to and have never had a problem.
Andy
Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndyS
I'm with you on this Jon. Prinet came up with a good offering way back which, like you, I signed up to and have never had a problem.
Andy
+1

(unless Orange come up with an amazing offer!) In fact fibre optic should be able to improve priinet's service as they will have access to a much higher speed trunk.
But FO will be of great interest to permanent and longer term residents I would guess.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

+1

(unless Orange come up with an amazing offer!) In fact fibre optic should be able to improve priinet's service as they will have access to a much higher speed trunk.
But FO will be of great interest to permanent and longer term residents I would guess.
That's my interest, we do have problems with priinet from time to time and that would disappear with FO. It looks like it is going to be FTTP (Fiber To The Property) which should give stability and speed. However like copper it has gone past the bottom of our road but no pots installed so we will still have to wait longer ?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Copied from Orange es site:

Orange customers with fibre coverage can currently choose between two plans: a 30 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload service for €37.45 per month (including VAT), or a 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload service for €49.55 per month. Both plans include unlimited calls to Spanish fixed line numbers, 300 minutes to international fixed line numbers and 1,000 minutes to Spanish mobile numbers. The price is definitive for all Orange mobile customers but has a 12-month duration for non-mobile subscribers.

I don't know how relevant this is to CE but it can't be very different. Bit rich for part-timers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.