Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costa Esuri enters the 21st century

my answer was personal for me as we do use a huge amount of data and need high bandwidth also running my own servers (fixed IP including IPv6) and need low latency (video) to name a view

currently in the UK using about 60 - 80 gb a month (have unlimited fibre) but want to move some kit over to Costa Esuri and that ain't going to work on some WiFi link. may my requirements be different than others or do all need to use the Internet for some Skype and watch TV?
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just out of interest, how do you wear out an antenna?
I had a special one with a larger parabolic mesh as the reception was bad before. When they took it down it was well rusted - so I guess it was buffeted by winds, rain and the sun.

The new one they attached was a 'better' one, according to them, with a system that detects both vertical and horizontal signals (the old one was '1 phase'). Its also smaller so I hope it will last longer now. I got better speeds after that - so am happy - even more than the 10mbs that I pay for (at times). I use TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test as I believe it is the best one, and it can best-test the suitability of streaming video (our requirement) - as opposed to a 'ping' test.

Priinet works most of the time, but at times does have hiccups. Streaming HDTV is the most intensive use we have of the internet, as non-techies, with perhaps 2 simultaneous streams (eg say British and Belgian TV) so if it can do that, it easily covers all of our needs.

Priinet can do that and then we pay less when not there, so its the best for us. I prefer that to more expensive fibre-net, or even a community system - as I am not a fan of having to deal with the community hierarchy..

Jon
Old Apr 28th 2017, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I had a special one with a larger parabolic mesh as the reception was bad before. When they took it down it was well rusted - so I guess it was buffeted by winds, rain and the sun.

The new one they attached was a 'better' one, according to them, with a system that detects both vertical and horizontal signals (the old one was '1 phase'). Its also smaller so I hope it will last longer now. I got better speeds after that - so am happy - even more than the 10mbs that I pay for (at times). I use TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test as I believe it is the best one, and it can best-test the suitability of streaming video (our requirement) - as opposed to a 'ping' test.

Priinet works most of the time, but at times does have hiccups. Streaming HDTV is the most intensive use we have of the internet, as non-techies, with perhaps 2 simultaneous streams (eg say British and Belgian TV) so if it can do that, it easily covers all of our needs.

Priinet can do that and then we pay less when not there, so its the best for us. I prefer that to more expensive fibre-net, or even a community system - as I am not a fan of having to deal with the community hierarchy..

Jon
Our priinet system mostly works just fine except sometimes in very heavy rain (but then the satellite service we had before had the same problem).
I must remember to ask for a new antenna if we get any issues. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
Prinet has been poor for the last 10 days First time in 18 months but its been slow a lot of the time and completely dropping out on a frequent basis last weekend
That's good to know I began to think it was just us we got a lot of buffering but it seems to have cleared up now.
To return the the fiber cabling the stock of black pipe down near Jags is huge but what is it for? I thought all of Esuri had underground ducts everywhere. Certainly one passes our gate with only string in it ready to pull through the cable. However when I saw them working at the GC r/about last w/end they did have some short lengths lying about. They also had a sophisticated yellow fish they were using on the sharp bend between manholes and yards and yards of string lying about.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

glaisboy is an unknown quantity at this point

At Las Colinas they had 6 men working inside the bloques so things are moving on. As this is Spain we should not get too ahead of our selves but as we are up the top it is unusual to see this occurring don t you think?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glaisboy
At Las Colinas they had 6 men working inside the bloques so things are moving on. As this is Spain we should not get too ahead of our selves but as we are up the top it is unusual to see this occurring don t you think?
Do you know if any offers have been made to owners yet. When Cobra/Movistar strung the cable past the house of our friends behind Laguna Plaza, at eves level, they knocked on the door and said would they like to switch their phone and internet to fiber optic. Being a wise old owl and having dealt with Telefonica/Movistar for many years they replied with "how much". They were surprised to be told no extra cost so they accepted and have had fiber now for about 8mths with no problems. On Esuri the copper cable never stretched beyond the north side of Lomas so Encinas, la Jara, Colinas and most of the individual houses never had the option of being hard wired so I suppose it will be Lomas or Esuri where the first offers of upgrade are made. It will be interesting to hear when. Maybe Monday Club will get the first news, apparently three companies are involved on Esuri Movistar,Vodafone and one othe so there should be competition.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

last Thursday there were 3 guys waling around Vista Esuri; two in highves and one in casual clothing with a book recording something while the other two opened all Telefonica potholes one by one
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

glaisboy is an unknown quantity at this point

On Friday morning 6 guys in hi vis overalls with hand tools were seen entering a number of bloques in Colinas but no literature has been received yet indicating any offers. Once the terminations are completed they should start the competition for deals.The coming weeks should prove interesting.
Old May 1st 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

[QUOTE=EsuriJohn;12241359]Do you know if any offers have been made to owners yet. When Cobra/Movistar strung the cable past the house of our friends behind Laguna Plaza, at eves level, they knocked on the door and said would they like to switch their phone and internet to fiber optic. Being a wise old owl and having dealt with Telefonica/Movistar for many years they replied with "how much". They were surprised to be told no extra cost so they accepted and have had fiber now for about 8mths with no problems. On Esuri the copper cable never stretched beyond the north side of Lomas so Encinas, la Jara, Colinas and most of the individual houses never had the option of being hard wired so I suppose it will be Lomas or Esuri where the first offers of upgrade are made. It will be interesting to hear when. Maybe Monday Club will get the first news, apparently three companies are involved on Esuri Movistar,Vodafone and one othe so there should be competition.[/QUOTE
We changed our contract with movistar to fibre. No charge for installation
But we had to agree to a new 18 month contract. The guy was here all morning threading cables. That work and the new router we think its a good deal.
Old May 1st 2017, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=olivia;12242343]
Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Do you know if any offers have been made to owners yet. When Cobra/Movistar strung the cable past the house of our friends behind Laguna Plaza, at eves level, they knocked on the door and said would they like to switch their phone and internet to fiber optic. Being a wise old owl and having dealt with Telefonica/Movistar for many years they replied with "how much". They were surprised to be told no extra cost so they accepted and have had fiber now for about 8mths with no problems. On Esuri the copper cable never stretched beyond the north side of Lomas so Encinas, la Jara, Colinas and most of the individual houses never had the option of being hard wired so I suppose it will be Lomas or Esuri where the first offers of upgrade are made. It will be interesting to hear when. Maybe Monday Club will get the first news, apparently three companies are involved on Esuri Movistar,Vodafone and one othe so there should be competition.[/QUOTE
We changed our contract with movistar to fibre. No charge for installation
But we had to agree to a new 18 month contract. The guy was here all morning threading cables. That work and the new router we think its a good deal.
Are you in Costa Esuri, Ayamonte or Isla Canela. If you are in CE you must be the first to get fiber. Since we have no copper outside I don't know how we would get them to bring it from the main road to our gate. Then it would need bringing inside our plot so I guess we will be at the back of the queue but at least there is light at the end of a very long dark tunnel and no I do not think it is an express train rushing towards us.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

We are in Ayamonte near Mercadonna. I was just making the point that we were only asked to commit for 18 months and there was a lot of work involved, new wiring and ruter to be installed. We get 50 megabytes on a speed test.
Old May 2nd 2017, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by olivia
We are in Ayamonte near Mercadonna. I was just making the point that we were only asked to commit for 18 months and there was a lot of work involved, new wiring and ruter to be installed. We get 50 megabytes on a speed test.
Wow that's worth waiting for did you have a Movistar landline before and can you have a fixed handset on the fiber. We like you would need all new wiring from our front gate and the routers for fiber are different to both cable and ADSL SO NOTHING WE HAVE GOT WOULD BE SUITABLE. Do you use internet for TV and is it improved?
Old May 3rd 2017, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

When we were working and only having holidays here we had Iberbanda. When the satalite changed and we were spending longer periods here we went to Movistar /Telefonica. We are not huge TV watchers. The news from home and some sport. It was not always great when demand was high and switching to filmon was our answer. It is now fine. An android box using smart dns we get high definition with no buffering. €60 per month. Some calls to landlines and mobiles in Spain which we rarely use 3c per mim to UK. Yes they brought the fiber for the ruter along with a new cable for the handset using the old cable as a draw wire.

Last edited by olivia; May 3rd 2017 at 7:49 am. Reason: Euros not Pounds
Old May 3rd 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Now that Filmon is no longer free what do you use for UKTV?
Or do you pay a subscription?
Old May 3rd 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by olivia
When we were working and only having holidays here we had Iberbanda. When the satalite changed and we were spending longer periods here we went to Movistar /Telefonica. We are not huge TV watchers. The news from home and some sport. It was not always great when demand was high and switching to filmon was our answer. It is now fine. An android box using smart dns we get high definition with no buffering. €60 per month. Some calls to landlines and mobiles in Spain which we rarely use 3c per mim to UK. Yes they brought the fiber for the ruter along with a new cable for the handset using the old cable as a draw wire.
Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Like you we started with Iberbanda after a false start with Vodafone who told us we could have Internet connection but when they found there was no landline to connect to they renaged on the contract. Getting money back from Vodafone was not fun. We are now with Prinnet however I will move to one of the new providers if it is fast and stable since we have a smart TV. I understand I will need SmartDNS to make full use of it. We currently have Sky mainly for the Discovery type programmes and an android box to watch news and sport but suffer from buffering at times. We also have an aerial and watch some Spanish/Portuguese TV. I suppose if I add it all together it must come to about €80 a month so that would be a good saving. Just got to hope they do not make us wait much longer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.