Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Complementaire Tax / White Goods

Complementaire Tax / White Goods

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

WinnJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complementaire Tax / White Goods

After having purchased an apartment in Costa Esuri in March, I have now receive a bill for Complementaire Tax. I have been advised to challenge the amount, but would be grateful if you would advise me if this is wise and the process involved.

Also, can I bring a fridge/freezer and washing machine from UK to install in my apartment?

Thanks
Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 6:36 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complementaire Tax / White Goods

Originally Posted by WinnJK
After having purchased an apartment in Costa Esuri in March, I have now receive a bill for Complementaire Tax. I have been advised to challenge the amount, but would be grateful if you would advise me if this is wise and the process involved.

Also, can I bring a fridge/freezer and washing machine from UK to install in my apartment?

Thanks
Jon
Hi I've never heard of this tax, but the lawyer should have checked if there was any outstanding debt on the flat. My understanding is that in Spain any outstanding debt is passed on to the purchaser, leaving the seller, who racked up the debts, off the hook!

So I suggest you contact your lawyer.

UK appliances should work in Spain, just need to have either plug adapters - or cut off the UK plug and replace it with a EU one.

Ebay is a good place to get adapters, make sure you get those that are earthed.

I also use a single adapter, and put one of those 4 way extenders on it - that you can get from most UK DIY etc stores and then I can plug my UK kitchen gadgets to that. I have one screwed to the wall discretely behind the water kettle boiler.

Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jon - I have been informed the Complementaire Tax is an additional tax on the purchase of the property (on top of the 8% tax paid at the time of purchase) which is imposed as some kind of compensation for the fact that properties are so cheap (i.e. it is an additional tax based on the property being valued at 98,000 Euros, rather than the 70,000 Euros I paid for it).

Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:41 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WinnJK
Thanks Jon - I have been informed the Complementaire Tax is an additional tax on the purchase of the property (on top of the 8% tax paid at the time of purchase) which is imposed as some kind of compensation for the fact that properties are so cheap (i.e. it is an additional tax based on the property being valued at 98,000 Euros, rather than the 70,000 Euros I paid for it).

Jon
Aaah thanks Jon - something to do with the catastral value of the property I suppose.

I didn't realise they were charging this, so your lawyer is not at all to blame as its not an outstanding debt, though I guess he could have warned you about this for budget purposes. Hope it isn't a huge surprise!

If it is catastral - then will that be an annual payment?

Well done on getting such a good deal. We bought pre-crisis and our Catastral value is a fraction of the price we paid, so I guess the only advantage** is that we are paying less than the actual value of the property, even now after the crash, the catastral is lower than the current value.

Thanks
Jon

PS **the other main advantage is that we all have a place in a wonderful part of the world! That trumps the financial considerations.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 23rd 2016 at 8:43 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 8:47 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Aaah thanks Jon - something to do with the catastral value of the property I suppose.

I didn't realise they were charging this, so your lawyer is not at all to blame as its not an outstanding debt, though I guess he could have warned you about this for budget purposes. Hope it isn't a huge surprise!

Well done on getting such a good deal. We bought pre-crisis and our Catastral value is a fraction of the price we paid, so I guess the only advantage** is that we are paying less than the actual value of the property, even now after the crash, the catastral is lower than the current value.

Thanks
Jon

PS **the other main advantage is that we all have a place in a wonderful part of the world! That trumps the financial considerations.

This is a one-off tax based on the fact that it was purchased for less than its value (as deemed by the cadastral).

It was implemented to try and stop the black money aspect of purchasing property.

Your lawyer and notaire should both have been aware of this possibility. When we purchased our last property, we were advised (by our lawyer) to declare more than the vendor wanted so that we were within the cadastral limits and shouldn't have to pay any additional tax. I didn't want to pay any black money but the vendor was insistent.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Thanks
Jon

Thanks Jon - it is a one off payment but I think it can be challenged in the hope of having it reduced. I was prepared for it, but was hoping it would never arrive!!
You are absolutely right, we can't wait to move our stuff over in October and spending holidays in the sun!
Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:17 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

These links provide more information about this tax.

Understanding complementary tax in Spain

Myth busting- complementary tax | Ábaco Advisers

It is possible to challenge it, but you need to be quick off the mark and probably cost you quite a lot in professional fees.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of a tax rebate since we paid well over the catastral?
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Any chance of a tax rebate since we paid well over the catastral?
I think you have one month to appeal from the receipt of the bill.
Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

soyrosa is an unknown quantity at this point

you can appeal this I'll PM you and give you some info
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soyrosa
you can appeal this I'll PM you and give you some info
Thank you - that would be very helpful.
Jon
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

i have used the following people to contest this tax with success! €0 tax to pay

lawyer;

PREDIOABOGADOS
Gloria Crespo Díaz
Abogados
C/Méndez Núñez, 15 4º
21001 Huelva
Tel: +34 959 242421
Fax: +34 959 260772
Mov:+34 652 090694
E.mail: [email protected]

architect;

Estudio M-4.
Arquitectura: Proyectos y Urbanismo.

Francisco Germá Besó
Arquitecto Superior.
n.i.f.- 29.723.410-G.

c/ Padre Jesús Nazareno nº 2-5º B.
21001 Huelva
Tlf. 610 427101, Fax +34 959 241781
[email protected]

estate agent;

Karl Peters
homes & fincas cdl s.l.
c.cristobal colon 12
21400 ayamonte/huelva
0034 699 594444
...we love what we do!
Property Sale Spain
Immobilien in Spanien kaufen
Costa Huelva Playas Inmobiliaria Ayamonte Isla Canela - venta pisos casas
Isla Canela Beach Golf Property Sales Spain
Costa Esuri Golf Property Sales Spain
Fincas - Country Houses Sale Spain - Andalucia - Costa de la Luz
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

white goods;

not sure what's so special about white goods from the UK but i wouldn't bother bringing it over unless you have to drive a van with other goods.

better buying it local what will include local warranty IMHO
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bitmanev
i have used the following people to contest this tax with success! €0 tax to pay

lawyer;

PREDIOABOGADOS
Gloria Crespo Díaz
Abogados
C/Méndez Núñez, 15 4º
21001 Huelva
Tel: +34 959 242421
Fax: +34 959 260772
Mov:+34 652 090694
E.mail: [email protected]

architect;

Estudio M-4.
Arquitectura: Proyectos y Urbanismo.

Francisco Germá Besó
Arquitecto Superior.
n.i.f.- 29.723.410-G.

c/ Padre Jesús Nazareno nº 2-5º B.
21001 Huelva
Tlf. 610 427101, Fax +34 959 241781
[email protected]

estate agent;

Karl Peters
homes & fincas cdl s.l.
c.cristobal colon 12
21400 ayamonte/huelva
0034 699 594444
...we love what we do!
Property Sale Spain
Immobilien in Spanien kaufen
Costa Huelva Playas Inmobiliaria Ayamonte Isla Canela - venta pisos casas
Isla Canela Beach Golf Property Sales Spain
Costa Esuri Golf Property Sales Spain
Fincas - Country Houses Sale Spain - Andalucia - Costa de la Luz
Thank you!
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bitmanev
white goods;

not sure what's so special about white goods from the UK but i wouldn't bother bringing it over unless you have to drive a van with other goods.

better buying it local what will include local warranty IMHO
I quite agree it is far better to buy your white goods in Ayamonte. We bought all of ours there and have had them now for 10 years, the only item we have had to replace was our dishwasher last year. Apart from the warranty aspect, they will, in most cases, deliver them the day you buy them then unpack, install and take away the packaging at no extra cost. Regards Bryony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.