Best smartDNS

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Masey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best smartDNS

I'm getting wifi installed next week (on Esuri, Lomas) and wondered if someone could recommend a smart DNS service that works best to enable me to watch all the usual English TV apps on an amazon fire stick? thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 7:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best smartDNS

I use SmartyDNS. I have never had any problems. They do a free trial.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, looks like it doesn't support the channel4 app with the fire stick, which devise do you use?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

You could always fall back on Filmon or Camposat for the missing channels. Don't need the DNS service for that.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=MikeJ;12220328]You could always fall back on Filmon or Camposat for the missing channels. Don't need the DNS service for that.

Don't you? I didn't know that. I've never used them, I assume they're just apps I can download onto the fire stick? I haven't really researched it before as I wasn't going to get wifi but a winter rental wants it so I might as well set it up for myself too.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Masey;12220333]
Originally Posted by MikeJ
You could always fall back on Filmon or Camposat for the missing channels. Don't need the DNS service for that.

Don't you? I didn't know that. I've never used them, I assume they're just apps I can download onto the fire stick? I haven't really researched it before as I wasn't going to get wifi but a winter rental wants it so I might as well set it up for myself too.
We use Filmon for the live UK channels
We have it set up on Kodi on our Matricom box
Anything programmes you miss you can get on another
Addon for Kodi called Exodus,which in my opinion is the best one.
This has tons of films and tv programmes/series
I am pretty sure you can download onto a firestick ,but stand to be çorrected
If you cannot.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masey
Thanks, looks like it doesn't support the channel4 app with the fire stick, which devise do you use?
I mainly use it on my Samsung TV. That gets C4 catchup with no problems.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Masey;12220333]

Although a dedicated box may be the best solution - I have a smart Bluray with a web browser so I can get Filmon - actually I use UKTVZone because it has an easier, although slower, front end on that browser.

I have an LG Smart TV at home and I've just tried Camposat and Filmon on that - through the browser - and they work fine. I might invest in a smart TV in Spain too.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Just load the Filmon simple addon on Kodi. The one called Filmon doesn't work

Camposat will not work after May 1st

Filmon are ending the affiliate programme. This was on Camposats Facebook page
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:59 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Masey;12220333]

You ask specifically for the firestick. I don't have one, but when I researched this I found some great info on youtube https://www.google.es/search?q=youtu...s_rd=ssl#spf=1

I also recommend filmon and exodus with Kodi.

You can watch British TV on Filmon from the PC or other device connected to the TV with a web browser. Have a look https://www.filmon.com

After long research, on firesticks, android boxes etc, I decided on using my tablet or PC, connected to the TV via HDMI (hence HD) ... I downloaded the necessary software and followed the excellent guides on youtube. For me this was better than carting around other boxes, as I always have my PC and Tablet with me. (With a wireless mouse - you can stay a couch potato )

I also recommend the slingbox that you set up at home and it sends the TV signal via the net. You can do EVERYTHING remotely that you do at home, watch TV, record programmes and watch recordings etc. I use the HDMI coming out of the set top box, into a video splitter that converts it to the HD video that you plug into the ports at the back of the slingbox.
Your set-top box may already have the component video outputs, so you wont need the splitter (mine doesnt) - just use the cable ....

You have a photo image of your remote control, that you click on the buttons with - with your mouse. This in turn sends the same signals your remote would send at home (just from afar) Because the control is all at home, there is no geo-locking of any video, so no cross border issues.http://www.slingbox.com/en-GB

Good luck
Jon

PS I always carry an HDMI cable when travelling. We were on holiday in Malta last year, had one horrible day - it was pouring down. I plugged the HDMI to the hotel TV (most have them nowadays) and we had loads of TV to watch

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 4th 2017 at 9:22 am. Reason: spelink mistaikes :)
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like filmon will do for us so might have to give in and load kodi, I've always thought it a little fiddly. It doesn't have to be a fire stick it's just that my son has one so I know what this is!
The sling box sounds perfect for our summer trip so I'll look into this later in the year, how do you get the sling box at home to see your tv in Spain? Obviously it won't really be ideal for my winter rental occupants so I need something else in place that I can leave there.

Last edited by Masey; Apr 4th 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Masey
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like filmon will do for us so might have to give in and load kodi, I've always thought it a little fiddly. It doesn't have to be a fire stick it's just that my son has one so I know what this is!
The sling box sounds perfect for our summer trip so I'll look into this later in the year, how do you get the sling box at home to see your tv in Spain? Obviously it won't really be ideal for my winter rental occupants so I need something else in place that I can leave there.
Hi

Please check out the links. Once you set up your slingbox at home, you are done.... you can watch it ANYWHERE as long as you have an internet connection. To set it up, just follow the instructions you get with the box. I really cant help you here, without effectively retyping out the installation instructions you will get anyway.

Kodi is fiddly yes if you do what I did and load the software and then programme it. If you buy an Android box pre-loaded its easier. Again it depends on what you want. If all you need is UKTV and you have a PC/Tablet/Gadget that can browse and connect to TV, forget all the rest and do filmon.

You were focussing on the fire stick - so I put the link to it on my post. There you will see how to set that up.

Good luck, you have loads of options, and choose those that works for you needs.

Note that the Slingbox uses your set top box perfectly. BUT if you are in the UK watching TV and e.g the other half is in Spain (or anywhere) and switches the channels - you will also see the channel change in the UK. Cant have both with just one set top box.

Jon
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

Please check out the links. Once you set up your slingbox at home, you are done.... you can watch it ANYWHERE as long as you have an internet connection. To set it up, just follow the instructions you get with the box. I really cant help you here, without effectively retyping out the installation instructions you will get anyway.

Kodi is fiddly yes if you do what I did and load the software and then programme it. If you buy an Android box pre-loaded its easier. Again it depends on what you want. If all you need is UKTV and you have a PC/Tablet/Gadget that can browse and connect to TV, forget all the rest and do filmon.

You were focussing on the fire stick - so I put the link to it on my post. There you will see how to set that up.

Good luck, you have loads of options, and choose those that works for you needs.

Note that the Slingbox uses your set top box perfectly. BUT if you are in the UK watching TV and e.g the other half is in Spain (or anywhere) and switches the channels - you will also see the channel change in the UK. Cant have both with just one set top box.

Jon
Ahh I see, sling box probably not ideal then as my parents normally stay at mine dog sitting while I'm in Esuri. I need to leave something permanently in place for my renters so I think I'll go back to plan A with the fire stick or just buy a pre loaded kodi box which is probably the simplest solution. Thanks again.
Steve
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

A quick update as it might help others. Priinet turned up as promised and installed wifi which works perfectly. I plugged in the fire stick and signed up for a 14 day trial with smart dns proxy, followed the simple instructions on their website and received all the uk apps, amazon prime and Netflix. All in all very simple, successful and economic.