Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scottish meet up

Scottish meet up

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Littleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really nice
Default Re: Scottish meet up

Hi,

We managed to make it to Edinburgh so we thought we would drop in even though had not indicated we would do so.

Arrived about 2.30pm and struggled to get past the front door with our little one. When at the bar we were told quite clearly if we were not eating we were not welcome. In addition no one seem to know anything about the planned meet. So we left for John Lewis.

I returned on my own around 4.30pm. Again no one knew about the meet. There were lots of Hen parties but no groups of people that I thought were from BE. So after a drink departed.

Pity as I was really looking forward to discussing our hesitancy aobut our planned move due to the UK housing market, exchange rate etc.

I agree with the comments above and venue out of the city centre would be good.

Something like Tumble Zone at Livingston would be good. Kids can play with Gokarts, Climbing frames etc for a couple hours and plenty of room for adults.

Kevin
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

RichM is an unknown quantity at this point

Debbie:-
Good Luck,and God Speed.

Best Regards,

Rich.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody
Debbie thank you for orginising saturday afternoon you could not have done anymore than you did. Nice to meet you and evrybody else that turned up . good luck everybody about to make that move

the dooners
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Off 2 Oz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Hi all

Apologies for the way yesterday turned out, as others have said the pub turned out to be not child friendly at all. When I arrived and spoke to the manager guy and one of the bar staff and told them we were arranging a meet up mentioned where we were sitting and asked if they could let people know when they arrived, I also mentioned to the guy to tell the other staff on duty. The service in the place was pretty poor to put it mildly.:curse::curse: Hope the next meet up that happens is a success! We head out to Brisbane 4 weeks today so yesterday is the last meet up in Scotland for us.

Once again I would like to send my apologies to those that were inconvenienced by the terrible service that we received in the Playfair Pub. Best of luck to you all getting your visas and for the move downunder. Will no doubt meet some of you at Brisbane/ Gold Coast meet ups.

Debbie
Best of luck Debbie, I loved Brisbane when I was there, stayed for about 3 months, had a ball.

Lynne
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

bextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Littleuns
Hi,

We managed to make it to Edinburgh so we thought we would drop in even though had not indicated we would do so.

Arrived about 2.30pm and struggled to get past the front door with our little one. When at the bar we were told quite clearly if we were not eating we were not welcome. In addition no one seem to know anything about the planned meet. So we left for John Lewis.

I returned on my own around 4.30pm. Again no one knew about the meet. There were lots of Hen parties but no groups of people that I thought were from BE. So after a drink departed.

Pity as I was really looking forward to discussing our hesitancy aobut our planned move due to the UK housing market, exchange rate etc.

I agree with the comments above and venue out of the city centre would be good.

Something like Tumble Zone at Livingston would be good. Kids can play with Gokarts, Climbing frames etc for a couple hours and plenty of room for adults.

Kevin
That was our experience too. Tumblezone would be great- it's exactly the place I had in mind! It's a huge place with as you say plenty of room and 2 hours is plenty of time. I'm not sure if singles/couples would want to come though unless they could borrow a child!

Brissydeb: No worries! Hope your move goes well, Good luck in Brisbane!

Bex
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:26 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Hi there, are there any plans for a Glasgow meet up?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Hi there, are there any plans for a Glasgow meet up?
Keep checking the meet up forum and someone might arrange one soon. We head out to Oz 4 weeks today so will not be arranging another. The meet ups I have been to have been great, lovely speaking to folk in the same position as yourself. Best of luck!

Debbie
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:40 pm
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Thanks and good luck to you too. Let us know how you get on!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Barney99 will become famous soon enoughBarney99 will become famous soon enough

Hi all
Exactly the same happened to us.
Arrived 2.30 ish, met at the door - are you eating? no we said, then you can't come in with kids, so we said ok we are eating & went in.
Found small group of BE's sat around hi table, pulled up extra seats, and started chatting, Andy and Debbie -brisseydeb- disappeared to get drinks, meanwhile girl came up & said sorry kids can't sit at high tables - health & safety, so one of the others goes off to find a low table - SUCSESS, surely we are ok now! NO, Andy & debbie are still waiting to be served - 30 mins later, sorry we can't serve you, you are not eating - we are going to eat,we said, can we order a drink please - no only with you meal & only one.
At which point I said I have had enough of this, we gave up & left. Hope those left enjoyed yourselves, really fancied a few drinks and a chin wag but not to be.
Really cheesed off, surely this is a big step back for pubs in Scotland, will never set foot in a weatherspoons again & hope all parents give them a really hard time about their rediculous rules - you could see the staff were at the end of their tether.
It was a real shame but we had a great weekend in Edinburgh.
Liz
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barney99
Hi all
Exactly the same happened to us.
Arrived 2.30 ish, met at the door - are you eating? no we said, then you can't come in with kids, so we said ok we are eating & went in.
Found small group of BE's sat around hi table, pulled up extra seats, and started chatting, Andy and Debbie -brisseydeb- disappeared to get drinks, meanwhile girl came up & said sorry kids can't sit at high tables - health & safety, so one of the others goes off to find a low table - SUCSESS, surely we are ok now! NO, Andy & debbie are still waiting to be served - 30 mins later, sorry we can't serve you, you are not eating - we are going to eat,we said, can we order a drink please - no only with you meal & only one.
At which point I said I have had enough of this, we gave up & left. Hope those left enjoyed yourselves, really fancied a few drinks and a chin wag but not to be.
Really cheesed off, surely this is a big step back for pubs in Scotland, will never set foot in a weatherspoons again & hope all parents give them a really hard time about their rediculous rules - you could see the staff were at the end of their tether.
It was a real shame but we had a great weekend in Edinburgh.
Liz

Hi Liz

Felt really bad when you had to leave on Saturday as you had travelled a fair distance. That pub should not advertise itself as child friendly as it is anything but! When I phoned to enquire about the booking I asked was there a specific area in the place where kids were allowed and I was not informed that the middle section was out of bounds. Glad you had a nice weekend in Edinburgh and sorry for the inconvenience you were caused due to the bad service we experienced in the Playfair. Best of luck with the visa and your move downunder!

Debbie
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

bextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the roughbextaroota is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Hi Liz

Felt really bad when you had to leave on Saturday as you had travelled a fair distance. That pub should not advertise itself as child friendly as it is anything but! When I phoned to enquire about the booking I asked was there a specific area in the place where kids were allowed and I was not informed that the middle section was out of bounds. Glad you had a nice weekend in Edinburgh and sorry for the inconvenience you were caused due to the bad service we experienced in the Playfair. Best of luck with the visa and your move downunder!

Debbie
Barney99- that's terrible you came so far to be so disappointed.
Hiya Debbie- I've put in a complaint via email to J D Wetherspoons and asked them to respond to this thread- let's see if they can redeem themselves..! We'll see... If anyone feels like doing the same here's the website: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/

Last edited by bextaroota; Mar 4th 2008 at 9:37 am.