Reload this Page >

Skilled migration to qld

Skilled migration to qld

Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Jay cutting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled migration to qld

Hi,

Firstly I'm interested to know if these forums are live & recent?

I'm a 46 year old British, married man with two step children.
I'm looking to live & work in Queensland as an electrician. I hold a Gold JIB card here in the uk & have approx 12 years in the trade.
Initially I'm really finding it confusing as to which visa I'd apply for, where in the uk & what license I apply for??
What are my realistic chances of emigrating as a family?
Thanks

Jay
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled migration to qld

Originally Posted by Jay cutting
Hi,

I'm looking to live & work in Queensland as an electrician. I hold a Gold JIB card here in the uk & have approx 12 years in the trade.
Initially I'm really finding it confusing as to which visa I'd apply for, where in the uk & what license I apply for??
Thanks

Jay
Very much live and recent, replying within 15 mins of you initial post, not able to really help and you may have to wait a while for the Aussies to respond as it's getting later there.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Jay
Each post has a time and date stamp on it so you can see how recent it is

Start with a good read of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and have a look at the requirements to get a skills assessment as an electrician.

old.sparkles is the resident expert on electrical licensing, I'm sure she will stop by at some point.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Jay
Chance does not come into getting an Australian visa, it is not a lottery. So you can determine whether you will get a visa in black or white. If you meet the criteria you will get a visa, if you don't then you won't. Take a points test and look into skills assessment, those are the two things that will determine whether you qualify. There are also police checks and medical checks to pass.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Sparky malarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact future skills international they will do your electrical assessment. Gather all info you have, whether it be self employed or employed. Pay slips, NVQ Certs etc,
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:09 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, 46 is going to be difficult to achieve the minimum number of points to get selected for skilled migration.

Age - 0 points
Qualification - 10 points
Work experience - 15 points

Then, assuming you achieve 'Superior English' results - 20 points, you are still looking at 45 points, when the minimum is 60.

State sponsored regional (489) is 10 more, still need 5.

Does your partner have a skilled occupation?

There is always the possibility of a temporary visa (if a sponsoring employer can be found, but it is difficult now given the current job market), but there are downsides to that, especially if one is coming over with a young family.

Last edited by msmyrtle; Sep 17th 2016 at 5:11 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
To be honest, 46 is going to be difficult to achieve the minimum number of points to get selected for skilled migration.

Age - 0 points
Qualification - 10 points
Work experience - 15 points

Then, assuming you achieve 'Superior English' results - 20 points, you are still looking at 45 points, when the minimum is 60.

State sponsored regional (489) is 10 more, still need 5.

Does your partner have a skilled occupation?

There is always the possibility of a temporary visa (if a sponsoring employer can be found, but it is difficult now given the current job market), but there are downsides to that, especially if one is coming over with a young family.
Ah yes, I missed the age in the first post. At 46 very unlikely that it will be possible to obtain a visa, the ship has sailed for most people at age 45.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Mahdi.ka.82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked the state you may have chance to apply, just Perth as an Electrical Engineer and Perth or Northern Territory as an Electrical Engineering Technician.
Do you know about Natti?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ah yes, I missed the age in the first post. At 46 very unlikely that it will be possible to obtain a visa, the ship has sailed for most people at age 45.
The other point to consider, would he get permission from the biological father of the step children, they would need eother a solicitors letter of a court order to take the children.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mahdi.ka.82
I checked the state you may have chance to apply, just Perth as an Electrical Engineer and Perth or Northern Territory as an Electrical Engineering Technician.
Do you know about Natti?
Perth is not a state. And the OP is not an engineer.

What is Natti?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Perth is not a state. And the OP is not an engineer.

What is Natti
?
Is that something to do with translation services. Think that gets extra points.

Regardless - I'm in agreement with msmyrtle - getting a skilled visa at 46 with a trade is very unlikely.

Even if the spouse has an occupation on the SOL, there are added hurdles with the children as they would need their father's agreement or a court order to be able to move I think, so realistic chances of a permanent move are slim to none I would think.

Other visa options might be 457 (not much hope) or employer sponsored 186 (again slim to none I would think).

Sorry
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is that something to do with translation services. Think that gets extra points.

Regardless - I'm in agreement with msmyrtle - getting a skilled visa at 46 with a trade is very unlikely.

Even if the spouse has an occupation on the SOL, there are added hurdles with the children as they would need their father's agreement or a court order to be able to move I think, so realistic chances of a permanent move are slim to none I would think.

Other visa options might be 457 (not much hope) or employer sponsored 186 (again slim to none I would think).

Sorry
Its NAATI and is indeed to do with translating but you have to be pretty fluent in whats called a 'community language' to get the points. Very rare to see someone from the UK using it.
https://www.naati.com.au/media/1396/...o_brochure.pdf