British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Looking to make friends on Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/looking-make-friends-sunshine-coast-881372/)

finally here 2016 Aug 3rd 2016 7:56 am

Looking to make friends on Sunshine Coast

Hi out there

My partner and I, along with our youngest son of 14 nearly 15 arrived in January, form NZ but we are originally from the UK. Although I've met some lovely people while walking our dogs on the beach we are still looking for a social life!!

We are up in Bli Bli but happy to travel to meet up.

Let me know if you fancy meeting up

gossage Aug 14th 2016 10:54 am

Re: Looking to make friends on Sunshine Coast

Hi. There is a ladies group called Life Beyond 30 that I found a great source for making friends. I would say lets me up but I am leaving the Sunny Coast and heading to Brisbane in 4 weeks. It is amazing up here, I am in Peregian Springs, but there is simply no work and so after two years of applying and getting nowhere I am off to the city, where I actually got the first job I applied for.

finally here 2016 Aug 14th 2016 11:56 am

Thank you so much for that i really appreciate it. Shame you're moving to Brissy but good luck to you x

katyr16 Jul 31st 2017 4:17 pm

Hi, I have just joined this website. Interestingly my partner and I and our teenage children also moved here last year also from NZ but originate from the UK. How are you settling in?

finally here 2016 Aug 8th 2017 7:30 am

Originally Posted by katyr16 (Post 12306295)
Hi, I have just joined this website. Interestingly my partner and I and our teenage children also moved here last year also from NZ but originate from the UK. How are you settling in?

We're getting there slowly! Have joined a couple of fb poms groups and meet ups.
How old are your kids? Which school are they at?
Where are you living?
Haven't had many replies from this so only just saw your reply sorry. Thanks for replying and let me know how you are finding things too
Di

katyr16 Aug 8th 2017 9:16 am

Hi, we love it. We have a daughter turning 17 at the weekend and a 15 year old son. We presently are renting in Brightwater as the kids attend Mountain Creek but are looking forward to buying in the not too distant future. It's obviously taken a while to settle but we are definitely getting there. Kids most importantly are settled, both have jobs and play a bit of sport so are kept pretty busy. We also have a dog and enjoy the walks. Hopefully things are also settling for you all. Where abouts in NZ did you move from? We moved from Christchurch and are enjoying the change.

finally here 2016 Aug 12th 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by katyr16 (Post 12311947)
Hi, we love it. We have a daughter turning 17 at the weekend and a 15 year old son. We presently are renting in Brightwater as the kids attend Mountain Creek but are looking forward to buying in the not too distant future. It's obviously taken a while to settle but we are definitely getting there. Kids most importantly are settled, both have jobs and play a bit of sport so are kept pretty busy. We also have a dog and enjoy the walks. Hopefully things are also settling for you all. Where abouts in NZ did you move from? We moved from Christchurch and are enjoying the change.

It took quite a while for our son to settle here. He's 15 and didn't find it easy making friends. Also our eldest son stayed in NZ which we've all found difficult. However hopefully he'll be able to come when he's finished his apprenticeship.
Maybe we could catch up sometime? We go to some of the Poms meet ups and have made some friends through that. What about you guys? It's quite difficult when the kids get older to make friends don't you think? We're having a BBQ tomorrow the weather is looking great 🌞😎

katyr16 Aug 13th 2017 3:38 am

Thanks but working today post daughters 17th birthday bash so exhausted. Happy to catch up. Are you a full time worker or can you meet for coffee and or dog walk midweek?

finally here 2016 Aug 13th 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by katyr16 (Post 12315477)
Thanks but working today post daughters 17th birthday bash so exhausted. Happy to catch up. Are you a full time worker or can you meet for coffee and or dog walk midweek?

At the mo I'm working full time unfortunately but should be down to part time in 2/3 weeks hopefully. Do you work?
A coffee or dog walk would be good. What sort of dog do you have? We've got 2 miniature schnauzers, we usually walk at North Shore or Coolum?

katyr16 Aug 18th 2017 10:38 pm

Let me know what works for you.

finally here 2016 Aug 19th 2017 3:30 am

Originally Posted by katyr16 (Post 12320005)
Let me know what works for you.

Ok it'll probably be 3 weeks more of full time working, hopefully no longer! 😫

katyr16 Oct 7th 2017 6:11 pm

Hi, hols now over. Let me know when free for catch up.

stevethechilliman Nov 13th 2017 1:17 am

Hope you are well ... ive been here in south east qld since 2006... it takes time but you will make some good friends ... i live up in toowoomba ... but we are looking to move down to the sunshine coast next year ...

GlenysNZ Nov 18th 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by stevethechilliman (Post 12380661)
Hope you are well ... ive been here in south east qld since 2006... it takes time but you will make some good friends ... i live up in toowoomba ... but we are looking to move down to the sunshine coast next year ...

Hi I was hoping I could jump in here because this is the closest I've come to a site where people want to make friends

A bit about my family ... 2 children nearly 9 year old boy & 12 year old girl. Hubby works in Sydney 3 weeks on 5 days off so I'm pretty much on my own most of the time. We moved from NZ early September. Kids are at Kawana Waters State College & seem to have found their feet!!

Although I'm not an ex-pat pom, I do have English heritage if that validates me posting here lol.

I am a stay at home mum (kind of need to be with hubby away) so can coffee anytime.

Hopefully I haven't stepped on anyone's toes jumping in here.

katyr16 Feb 20th 2018 3:40 pm

Sorry just seen this post. You would be very welcome to join myself and some friends for coffee, PM me your number and I will contact you.