Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra meet up

Canberra meet up

Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice
Default Re: Canberra meet up

We too will be moving to Canberra - sometime between Nov and Jan. We will be living in the Tuggerangong area. Hopefully will be booking flights in the next few weeks

Hel
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sungold
Wow, I cant believe it. All these people coming to Canberra.

Greetings from Sungold - I think I was one of the first to post on here about Canberra and when I did I got very few replies - but that was two years ago. check out some of my old threads if you are interested.

Havent been on the forum for a while (understatement of the year) and its taken me a while to remember my password!

I arrived in March 2005 and have kept in touch with a couple of people who I met on this site. Got to say thanks to the person who invented it as it helps so many people although you read a lot of horror stories of things that went wrong!

I also live on thenorthside in Nicholls - not far from the George so I might see some of you there.

Got to say life in canberra is fine, a bit dry for the last two years but very sunny and after having driven in Sydney I think I made a good choice coming here! Been too busy with work to see much of Oz but that is happening slowly and I will be off with the family to warmer climes for teh school holidays doing a bit of reef and tropical jungle exploring.

Look foward to some more discussion about Oz lifestyles on this forum but got to go now.

Just for interest how many people have come to Canberra over the past two years and what are they all doing?

Steve
Hi Steve,

Nice to hear from another Canberran!

When did you arrive and from where?

Would be good to catch up - we now a few people from the site and another couple who are expats but not from the site.

Sarah
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
We too will be moving to Canberra - sometime between Nov and Jan. We will be living in the Tuggerangong area. Hopefully will be booking flights in the next few weeks

Hel
Look forward to more meet ups when you are all out then - should get as good as the Sydney meets if we keep going
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

3littlefigs will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carmele
We are not there yet but, we got our visa on tuesday so am booking the flights we have reserved for the 19th july today!

Carmel
Thats great. You will be here in no time. How are you going to turn it around so quick after getting your visa. You must already be organised? The kids are going to love it. We took ours to the coast for the weekend are they loved it. Winter i know but they still played on the beach, just wearing jumpers and the sun was shining. We have nearly been to a differant park everyday since we have been here. Great. Best of luck with the last bits in the UK. I found it really hard to say goodbye and I'm an aussie. I kept thinking I hope we are doing the right thing. So we are waiting for you with a large glass of wine on the other side of the world. Goodluck
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hel&Will

Hel
Enjoy those last few months. So hard as this is the madness bit. I found it so hard as I kept wanting to get on with things. I kept thinking ooh I'll buy that and then think oh I can't. Half here already? I know I was. Goodluck with the pack up.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sungold
Wow, I cant believe it. All these people coming to Canberra.

Greetings from Sungold - I think I was one of the first to post on here about Canberra and when I did I got very few replies - but that was two years ago. check out some of my old threads if you are interested.

Havent been on the forum for a while (understatement of the year) and its taken me a while to remember my password!

I arrived in March 2005 and have kept in touch with a couple of people who I met on this site. Got to say thanks to the person who invented it as it helps so many people although you read a lot of horror stories of things that went wrong!

I also live on thenorthside in Nicholls - not far from the George so I might see some of you there.

Got to say life in canberra is fine, a bit dry for the last two years but very sunny and after having driven in Sydney I think I made a good choice coming here! Been too busy with work to see much of Oz but that is happening slowly and I will be off with the family to warmer climes for teh school holidays doing a bit of reef and tropical jungle exploring.

Look foward to some more discussion about Oz lifestyles on this forum but got to go now.

Just for interest how many people have come to Canberra over the past two years and what are they all doing?

Steve
We just arrived 6 weeks yesterday. How fast that has gone. Have bought a house in Jerrabomberra. Or whinger bombera, so I have heard. I'm a aussie returning home after a long stint away and my hubby is from Hertfordshire. He is a project manager, Quantity surveyor. He has come over to run the canberra office.

You?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:13 am
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

You are so right about the last few months before moving.We put the house up 4 weeks ago and i have had enough of the estate agent already.They talk a good game but are so full of it.I want to book flights and sort out a rental but no offers on the house yet so cant do it.We are thinking of bringing the price down to get a sale so we can get out to Canberra and start our new life.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

scolau07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
Me the OH and two children aged 11 and 13 are hoping to be in Canberra around November and would love to join in any meets that anyone organises.

carol
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:52 pm
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 3littlefigs
Hi there - We have just moved to Canberra. - with 3 kids (1,4 and 4) and wondered if anyone fancied meeting up. Matt & Donna
We will be there by Chrissy, we cant go anywhere without kids though,all 5 of em, will keep an eye on this one, and look forward to seeing Canberra, and those in the same boat.
M&M
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by magic.no7
We will be there by Chrissy, we cant go anywhere without kids though,all 5 of em, will keep an eye on this one, and look forward to seeing Canberra, and those in the same boat.
M&M
FIVE

see you all soon then

Hi everyone
Me the OH and two children aged 11 and 13 are hoping to be in Canberra around November and would love to join in any meets that anyone organises.

carol

Look forward to that

Last edited by sasbear; Jun 16th 2007 at 9:06 pm. Reason: error
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:21 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Hi,

I'm currently in Brisbane - but seriously considering relocating to Canberra for work, so thought I'd stick my head in here.

I've heard a LOT of criticism saying its very difficult to get to know people in Canberra and suggesting people are insular. I'm sure that just the usual inter-city snobbery - but can any of you confirm or deny this?

(BTW: I moved from Hampshire to Brisbane back in '98 and have since married and gained 2 daughters 3yrs and 10mnths... and a cute fluffy dog)

Hello everyone!

Last edited by DadAgain; Jun 24th 2007 at 10:49 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Hi,

I'm currently in Brisbane - but seriously considering relocating to Canberra for work, so thought I'd stick my head in here.

I've heard a LOT of criticism saying its very difficult to get to know people in Canberra and suggesting people are insular. I'm sure that just the usual inter-city snobbery - but can any of you confirm or deny this?

(BTW: I moved from Hampshire to Brisbane back in '98 and have since married and gain 2 daughters 3yrs and 10mnths)

Hello everyone!
Hi,

I kind of know what you mean about 'insular' but it isn't everyone here!

We noticed a big difference to the friendlisness of ozzies when we took a trip to Wagga. But saying that, we find the longer we are here (3 years almost) the easier and better it becomes. Neighbours are freindly, but what you do tend to find is that a lot of people work in Canberra but don't live here long term, they move here for work etc.

I am sure that other Canberrans will also tell you - Canberra IS the Australians best kept secret!

Sarah
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

I kind of know what you mean about 'insular' but it isn't everyone here!

We noticed a big difference to the friendlisness of ozzies when we took a trip to Wagga. But saying that, we find the longer we are here (3 years almost) the easier and better it becomes. Neighbours are freindly, but what you do tend to find is that a lot of people work in Canberra but don't live here long term, they move here for work etc.

I am sure that other Canberrans will also tell you - Canberra IS the Australians best kept secret!

Sarah
My God is it 3 years you been here now, I remember when you were FOB

Fresh off the boat.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomref
My God is it 3 years you been here now, I remember when you were FOB

Fresh off the boat.
I know - how time flies eh??

will have to have a party in September to celebrate - hopefully christen the hot tub (if it's in by then)
Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sasbear
I know - how time flies eh??

will have to have a party in September to celebrate - hopefully christen the hot tub (if it's in by then)
I Really need a hot Tub, just had one of the worst 24 hours , firstly Carmel unplugged the brads pc took me six hours to work out the hard drives gone hes going mentally about all his stuff, then this am as i was up half night trying to sort his pc out to keep the pease he turned the grill on i thought the house was on fire you couldn't see your face for chocking white smoke i thought the house was goneaa burn down, then when to the shops to buy food etc, notning to eat lol car breaks down , began to piss with rain i only got a t shirt and shorts on i called NRMA and said there cant be many poms standing in the middle of car park with shorts on in the middle of winter lol one hour and half later just car running guy says might die tonight in the cold AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

got to goto to work now , and knock on bosses door and ask why im starting my 5th Week on Bloody night shifts maybe i wait till next week so yes bring on the HOT TUB :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.