Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with kids in the Bundaberg area?

Anyone with kids in the Bundaberg area?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

millsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone with kids in the Bundaberg area?

Originally Posted by meldra
Hi
This is the most extensive thread I have found about/from people in Bundaberg! We currently live in just south of Perth, WA, and are thinking of moving to Bundy next year but would like to know how you find it. I'm thinking of things like facilities for young families (we have a 2 and 4 year old), finding jobs, cost of living, clubs, making friends, etc.

I would really appreciate any comments (I didn't read all 60 pages of the thread!) I read the early comments where people were really excited about moving but would be keen to know how you feel after things have settled down a bit.
hi

we have a 12, 9 and 3 year old have had a real good experience so far with schools and after school facilities, wife has had no problem making friends with mother and toddler groups, plenty of good beaches close by also helps

i had no probs finding a job but i know some others have and my wife is finding it hard to get a job at the moment day care may be a problem

cost of living is comparable with the rest of aus i would assume , house prices are good

what type of clubs do you mean?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:00 am
Just Joined

meldra is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. Good to know that it's been easy enough to meet people and there's enough for the kids.

I was thinking about sporting clubs mainly ... my husband does a lot of windsurfing but I can't find anything much about windsurfing in Bundy on the web. Also, fishing, touch footy.

Any info is appreciated! Any real drawbacks about being in Bundaberg?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. Good to know that it's been easy enough to meet people and there's enough for the kids.

I was thinking about sporting clubs mainly ... my husband does a lot of windsurfing but I can't find anything much about windsurfing in Bundy on the web. Also, fishing, touch footy.

Any info is appreciated! Any real drawbacks about being in Bundaberg?
Hi Meldra

Welcome to the Bundy Thread

We arrived in March and love it here, We actually live in Coral Cove which is about 20k's outside Bundy, climate is pretty perfect, middle of winter and the average temp is 24 degrees We have a 5 year old son, and I just got him enrolled in kindy last week, and it was his first day today, there are plenty of childcare centres around, it is just a matter of ringing around and finding one with spaces, although I didnt call any in Bundaberg itself, I got him enrolled in a local one in Bargara

What type of work will you be looking for? My hubbie is an electrician and he struggled a bit to get a job.... he only got a full time permanent job at the start of July!!! So we had 3 months spending our savings!!! So was a bit tough at the start, there definately isnt as many jobs around Bundy as there was.... but that is the world over.

In regards to windsurfing.... not sure if there is any clubs, but I know there is a local beach called Elliott Heads and we have been there a few times and I have seen windsurfers there. It might be worth doing a search for Bargara and Elliott Heads clubs! Also everyone seems to fish off the beaches here too. There are plenty of places to go with kids... there is a Bowling Alley, Cinema, indoor playground, loads of parks, botanic gardens, and the beach. Plenty of places to go for a meal and a few drinks too. We have find most people really friendly, except some of the expats on this site . na only kidding they are all great lol. We have made a few good friends in the few months we have been here, especially the expats... they have all made us feel at home here.

Hope this helps

Gillian
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by millsey
how is everyone

might be an idea to get together soon

speak soon
Originally Posted by egghead4
hi everyone, god i have been crap getting on here lately. i hope everyone is good and promise to check in and see when the next meet is, there must be one coming up soon
let me know
bec
Hi Millsey & Bec

A meet would be good, sorry we dont come on here much either.... we keep in touch with everyone via facebook now! If you are both on facebook it might be a better idea to contact everyone that way, as I know some of the others dont come on expats much either

Gill
Old Aug 20th 2009, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi Meldra

Welcome to the Bundy Thread

We arrived in March and love it here, We actually live in Coral Cove which is about 20k's outside Bundy, climate is pretty perfect, middle of winter and the average temp is 24 degrees We have a 5 year old son, and I just got him enrolled in kindy last week, and it was his first day today, there are plenty of childcare centres around, it is just a matter of ringing around and finding one with spaces, although I didnt call any in Bundaberg itself, I got him enrolled in a local one in Bargara

What type of work will you be looking for? My hubbie is an electrician and he struggled a bit to get a job.... he only got a full time permanent job at the start of July!!! So we had 3 months spending our savings!!! So was a bit tough at the start, there definately isnt as many jobs around Bundy as there was.... but that is the world over.

In regards to windsurfing.... not sure if there is any clubs, but I know there is a local beach called Elliott Heads and we have been there a few times and I have seen windsurfers there. It might be worth doing a search for Bargara and Elliott Heads clubs! Also everyone seems to fish off the beaches here too. There are plenty of places to go with kids... there is a Bowling Alley, Cinema, indoor playground, loads of parks, botanic gardens, and the beach. Plenty of places to go for a meal and a few drinks too. We have find most people really friendly, except some of the expats on this site . na only kidding they are all great lol. We have made a few good friends in the few months we have been here, especially the expats... they have all made us feel at home here.

Hope this helps

Gillian
Hi Gillian

Thank you so much for the info. We will be going to Bundy at Christmas time to check it out. I guess it's a matter of finding out as much as possible before we get there so we can check out anything else we need to know when we are actually there.

Do you know anything about the schools? I can see that there are plenty of schools but always best to get a recommendation. We are only looking at the primary schools at the moment. My son starts kindy next year....

My husband is a chef - nearly always jobs but nearly always hard to get a good job! I teach at the TAFE here and I've contacted the TAFE in Bundy but there's not really too much in my area. Maybe I need to find a new career!

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the reply.

Melissa.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

mark-vicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everybody were back,Hope you haven't forgotten us,
Well we have good news we have sold our house,our container left on the 10th August,Our flights are booked and we arrive in bundy on the 10th September,
Can't believe this day is happening were excited/nervous,feel like the last 6 months we have been on a roller coaster!Already feeling emotional about the last few goodbyes
We still have the Australian dollar against us!!!so don't think we are going to be changing much money,
Hope to hear and see some of you soon,
mark & Vicky xx
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Gillian

Thank you so much for the info. We will be going to Bundy at Christmas time to check it out. I guess it's a matter of finding out as much as possible before we get there so we can check out anything else we need to know when we are actually there.

Do you know anything about the schools? I can see that there are plenty of schools but always best to get a recommendation. We are only looking at the primary schools at the moment. My son starts kindy next year....

My husband is a chef - nearly always jobs but nearly always hard to get a good job! I teach at the TAFE here and I've contacted the TAFE in Bundy but there's not really too much in my area. Maybe I need to find a new career!

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the reply.

Melissa.
Hi Melissa

Sorry but I cant help you with the schools, my son has only just turned 5, so his is at kindy at the minute.... I need to get him enrolled in school as he is due to start in January, some of the others should be able to give you a bit more advice with schools

Gill
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark-vicky
Hi there everybody were back,Hope you haven't forgotten us,
Well we have good news we have sold our house,our container left on the 10th August,Our flights are booked and we arrive in bundy on the 10th September,
Can't believe this day is happening were excited/nervous,feel like the last 6 months we have been on a roller coaster!Already feeling emotional about the last few goodbyes
We still have the Australian dollar against us!!!so don't think we are going to be changing much money,
Hope to hear and see some of you soon,
mark & Vicky xx
Hi Mark & Vicky

Great news that you are coming over, I know exactly how you feel, we finally made it out here in March, has been a tough few months, but totally worth it, we are so glad to FINALLY be here, looking forward to meeting you all when you come over, good luck with everything

Gill
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Shari68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi Melissa

Sorry but I cant help you with the schools, my son has only just turned 5, so his is at kindy at the minute.... I need to get him enrolled in school as he is due to start in January, some of the others should be able to give you a bit more advice with schools

Gill
Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the Bundy thread! I'm sure you will love Bundy we all do, lol plenty to do and see and alot for the kids. As for schools there are plenty of good primary schools around my son goes to Bundaberg North State School (yr 6 now) which I can recommend. Lots of people mentioned it to us when we moved here as it had a good name, we have had no problems at all. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move.

Shari
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gill and Shari

Thank you both for the information. My children are some way off going to school but I feel I'd better think about it anyway.

I'm looking forward to getting to Bundaberg in the Christmas holidays to check things out more. It's freezing here now so I'm keen to move somewhere with a warmer winter! I'm now obsessed with looking at houses for sale even though the final decision to go hasn't been made ... yet! (I'm working on it ..)

I'd appreciate any other information you think is worth knowing (or you wish you'd known before you made the move).

Thanks so much for your help.

Melissa.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

millsey is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all dunno if anyone still checks on here

we are meeting in bargara tavern from about 5.30pm on friday to welcome mark and vikki if anyone fancy's it
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

wendi mai jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by millsey
hi all dunno if anyone still checks on here

we are meeting in bargara tavern from about 5.30pm on friday to welcome mark and vikki if anyone fancy's it
Hi all,

We ( myself, hubby and one yr old son) are going to be arriving in Bundaberg ,1st week of Feb, for a reccie and hope to move soon in April/May.....if all goes well with the job interview.
Does anyone have any advice regarding rentals, best place to find one?
we've been looking on internet,
can anyone reccommend areas? will be working in Bundaberg
we have our own property in UK so how do we get refs?
Any opinions on shipping?
Is it worth spending the money on shipping our goods over?

Looking forward to some sun, been snowing in UK.

Wendi