Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Perth with infant what car seat

Travelling to Perth with infant what car seat

Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Sarah87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to Perth with infant what car seat

Hi me and my partner and 2 children are travelling to Perth soon for a month to have a look to see if we want to emigrate. We have booked a seat for our infant on the plane but does anyone know which car seat we can use? It's all very confusing. Does it have to be an Australian one?
Thankyou for any help!
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:14 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Perth with infant what car seat

Hi

Are you referring to using a car seat on the flight? If so, have a read of this link Car Seat Info and also contact your airline well in advance of travel.

If you mean for use in Australia, then it will need to meet Aus standards. Hopefully someone on here knows how they differ (if at all) from UK seats.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a car seat for the plane and you can get an approved one when you get there. I've yet to see anyone putting their kids in a car seat on those long haul flights but a few folk might have done I suppose. Can't imagine bothering to wrangle a cat seat as well as the kids and I've done that flight with my own kids back in the day and grandkids more recently.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Thankyou for the reply. Yes I mean for the plane. My baby is going to be 11 months at the time of flying so she's too young for a crs belt. We're booking the flights last minute so I'm not sure who we will be flying with. I've read on a couple of websites that you have to have a car seat.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah87
Thankyou for the reply. Yes I mean for the plane. My baby is going to be 11 months at the time of flying so she's too young for a crs belt. We're booking the flights last minute so I'm not sure who we will be flying with. I've read on a couple of websites that you have to have a car seat.
I'm fairly sure there is no airline that insists you have a car seat. I know people on here talk about using one sometimes, but like Quoll I have never see one on a flight.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Little people sit on parent laps with a seat belt extension if the seat belt sign is on - they can't stay in their car seats in such conditions either. It's quite straightforward - the extension loops onto your seatbelt and then around the infant while you hold it. I always reckon that a sling is a must have for a kid even of that age - if you need to walk around the plane you don't want your arms falling off holding a wriggly squirmer. I doubt any airline would require a car seat!
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:36 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines don't require a car seat - but it is some people's preference. Some children are very used to the car seat and sleep and relax very happily in them. It also allows Mum and Dad to not have to hold the baby while the baby sleeps and somewhere to put them safely while they eat etc.

If you are booking the extra seat anyway and your child is happy in a car seat then I'd say go for it. I've seen it three or four times and it worked well for the families that chose to use the car seats.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Thankyou everyone for your advice! Yes I'm buying a seat for my infant. I rung Emirates up to just see what there policy were and they said if an infant is in there own seat you have to have a car seat. Plus I think she will sleep a lot better in it aswell. Does anyone know what car seat you can take on a plane from the uk to Australia?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:40 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou everyone for your advice! Yes I'm buying a seat for my infant. I rung Emirates up to just see what there policy were and they said if an infant is in there own seat you have to have a car seat. Plus I think she will sleep a lot better in it aswell. Does anyone know what car seat you can take on a plane from the uk to Australia?
They cannot force you to take a car seat on a flight. I travel every year on Emirates flights to the UK and there are plenty of kids without car seats. Its optional - see below.
If you bring a UK car seat it is not legal to use it in a car in Aus. You will need to get one here that meets Aus safety rules.

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/h...rs-on-emirates

Children between 6-36 months may travel on board in car seats as long as a separate seat is purchased for the child. Car seats can be used at any stage of the flight, including take-off and landing. The car seat must be the forward facing type only and one that can be secured to the seat by the use of the lap seatbelt, and not a shoulder harness (2-point seatbelt) as for car vehicles. Airport Services will approve the infant car seat at check-in for use on board.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou I've just rung Emirates again and a different woman said it wasn't compulsory. That will be so much easier than carrying a big car seat around especially if I can't use it in OZ! Thankyou for your help
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:50 pm
Home and Happy

Thankyou I've just rung Emirates again and a different woman said it wasn't compulsory. That will be so much easier than carrying a big car seat around especially if I can't use it in OZ! Thankyou for your help
Have a good flight
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:56 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

When we've flown with an infant we've never bothered with a car seat, but have booked a bassinet:

Travelling with infants | Essential Information | Emirates Australia

HTH
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Yes I've looked at the bassinet but because we're booking last min I dont know if they will be any available.