Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Business Number - starting a new business

Australian Business Number - starting a new business

Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough
Default Australian Business Number - starting a new business

My wife and I are looking to start a small internet business when we arrive in Brisbane later this year on a PR Visa. I have made enquiries about hosting the web services and registering an Australian domain name. This process is quite simple; however I also need to register an Australian Business Number.

Has anyone done this before arriving in OZ, I guess I’m going to need a tax number to cross reference the business number. I don’t think I can do this before we arrive. I was hoping to get most of the groundwork completed before we arrive.

If you have any observations about setting up a new business, especially relating to the red-tape hurdles you encountered, we would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil & Sally
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Business Number - starting a new business

Originally Posted by Philhowe
My wife and I are looking to start a small internet business when we arrive in Brisbane later this year on a PR Visa. I have made enquiries about hosting the web services and registering an Australian domain name. This process is quite simple; however I also need to register an Australian Business Number.

Has anyone done this before arriving in OZ, I guess I’m going to need a tax number to cross reference the business number. I don’t think I can do this before we arrive. I was hoping to get most of the groundwork completed before we arrive.

If you have any observations about setting up a new business, especially relating to the red-tape hurdles you encountered, we would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil & Sally
Hi

Try the website www.abr.gov.au

Regards

Smiths

PS Good luck with your plans
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:04 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

You can't apply before you arrive because you need a TFN before you can get an ABN. The ABN application is really straightforward though; all done online.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys, much appreciated... plan B
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:58 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, much appreciated... plan B
You could always get a .com address if you wanted. The .com.au one's are the only one's which require an abn number to register them for some reason. My wife's just starting her own business so we've got abn's and .com.au's coming out of our ears!!!!

Graham
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:12 am
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road

Hi Phil

My Husband and I (now that sounds posh) are just starting the long road of applying for a CP Visa.
I have an internet photography business at the moment here in the UK paying UK Tax and VAT and we will be carrying this business on in Australia.
I know I will have to close it down in the UK before leaving, for tax and vat purposes but I will set it up again as soon as we are able to as I don't want to lose the 2,000 plus regular customers that we have on our database at present so it's essential that I set it up the day we land basically or as soon as is possible.

I have already checked the government ABN web site and our own business name is still available so I will actually apply for an Australian Domain name well in advance so that it remains the same name as in the Uk which everyone knows about and is familiar with.

Good luck with your business - when do you hope to be in Australia and what visa are you applying for?

All the best

Caz
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Graham, that's the route I've taken, the point of least resistance!
I'm also going to host it myself on a Linux box until the bandwidth increases.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CazBeckham
Hi Phil

My Husband and I (now that sounds posh) are just starting the long road of applying for a CP Visa.
I have an internet photography business at the moment here in the UK paying UK Tax and VAT and we will be carrying this business on in Australia.
I know I will have to close it down in the UK before leaving, for tax and vat purposes but I will set it up again as soon as we are able to as I don't want to lose the 2,000 plus regular customers that we have on our database at present so it's essential that I set it up the day we land basically or as soon as is possible.

I have already checked the government ABN web site and our own business name is still available so I will actually apply for an Australian Domain name well in advance so that it remains the same name as in the Uk which everyone knows about and is familiar with.

Good luck with your business - when do you hope to be in Australia and what visa are you applying for?

All the best

Caz
Hi Caz,

I was hoping to 'park' the domain name so that the graphics etc could be created well in advance. As it is a new site I'm going for a .com domain. The site requires a lot of 'database pluming' so still some work to go. We have a PR visa and plan to move as soon as the house in the UK and villa in Spain are sold. It's all very frustrating, we just want to get going now.

Good luck.

Phil
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:29 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Graham, that's the route I've taken, the point of least resistance!
I'm also going to host it myself on a Linux box until the bandwidth increases.
Blimey! Sounds complicated. Plenty of Oz companies offer unlimited bandwidth... A little out of my league though, I've just gone for shared hosting in the US...

Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:45 am
CazBeckham

Hi

We used to have shared hosting for our web site but it has got big enough now that we have gone for a dedicated server which is certainly much better.
Only problem is that we are with BT for our broadband service and the area in which we live in Ely, Cambs we are too far from the exchange to have anything higher than a 1 meg service whereas our Son in Essex has 10 meg service, but that's BT for you.
To be honest I will be glad to be in Oz and hopefully get a better broadband service.

Caz
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by CazBeckham
Hi

We used to have shared hosting for our web site but it has got big enough now that we have gone for a dedicated server which is certainly much better.
Only problem is that we are with BT for our broadband service and the area in which we live in Ely, Cambs we are too far from the exchange to have anything higher than a 1 meg service whereas our Son in Essex has 10 meg service, but that's BT for you.
To be honest I will be glad to be in Oz and hopefully get a better broadband service.

Caz
24mb here
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:00 am

Good pics in your site by the way. Currently upgrading to a 5d and plan to get far more pics on line.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:03 am
CazBeckham

Many thanks Graham

The 5d is a wonderful camera worth every penny.

Caz
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil & Sally
Dont forget, you have to register your business name as well when you get here. Do a search on the Queensland gov website for more details.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:25 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wmoore
You can't apply before you arrive because you need a TFN before you can get an ABN. The ABN application is really straightforward though; all done online.
Actually, you don't need your TFN when applying for an ABN. I applied online yesterday and whilst I do have a TFN, I could not find it and so left the TFN box blank. It then asked me to confirm my residential address in lieu of the TFN and granted me the ABN. The ABN is only your ACN with an additional two digits in front. Used www.abr.gov.au. Oh and applied for GST at the same time, very easy.