Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

23yr old nurse with a holiday working visa. work 6mnths in melbourne&make new friends

23yr old nurse with a holiday working visa. work 6mnths in melbourne&make new friends

Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Amybx is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 23yr old nurse with a holiday working visa. work 6mnths in melbourne&make new friends

Are there any other UK nurses planning to be in melbourne april-oct 2013??

I dont really have any contacts in Oz & so other UK working visa people (UK already living and working) wanna meet up /make new friends - that would be awesome!!

Im 23. From wales. Love outdoor sports, exploring, meeting new people, trying new things and having a laugh.

Where is good to stay initially hostel-wise?

Which areas are nice to live in?

Etc
Amy xxx
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:21 am
Just Joined

tpell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 23yr old nurse with a holiday working visa. work 6mnths in melbourne&make new fri

Hi Amy,

I'm not a nurse but I'm from England and have been living in North Melbourne for nearly 18 months. I'm 26 and I'm nearly half way through my PhD at La Trobe University in Bundoora.

In terms of where is best to get a hostel when you first arrive, it depends on what you are planning to do.. If it's just see the sights then I'd say near Victoria Market which is just north of the CBD and really close to all the things you would want to see. If you want a hostel near where you plan to look for houses then that is more difficult as it depends what kind of job you are looking for.. But you'll generally find the inner suburbs are a lot more expensive (Carlton, Fitzroy, Brunswick etc.) but you will find plenty of bars around there to get a job in.

If you want any more help let me know or email me (I think you can find my email through this). It will be tough doing this on your own at first but don't give up!

Tom
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:40 am
Just Joined

amitkrishnan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 23yr old nurse with a holiday working visa. work 6mnths in melbourne&make new fri

Hi Amy,

I am engineer by profession, got my permanent residency recently, planning to migrate Melbourne by April 2013.

I am from India, interested in outdoor sports, exploring, meeting new people, trying new things.

If time permits, we will meet there.

Cheers

Amit
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Amybx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much guys. Sorry late reply. Ur help is most appreciated.
Gunna be so hard leaving my boyfriend at home bt an adventure awaits and looking forward to making some awesome friends
Any essentials people forget to take?? X
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:06 am
Just Joined

JP05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there when are you getting here??
Not sure about hostels never having used them before but I've recently moved to Melbourne and would love to grab a drink if you're up for it.
I'm 23, paramedic currently working in SE Melbourne, originally from Telford/Shrewsbury. Where abouts are you working??
Essentials wise - walkers crisps are about the biggest thing I can think of

Josh
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:38 am
Just Joined

louisemichelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Amy,

I'm not a nurse either but I've just started my Phd at Swinburne after being on a working holiday visa for a year.

In terms of hostels - Discovery hostel is alright, pretty reasonably priced and near Vic Market... my younger cousin lived there for a few months recently and loved it- they seem to have a lot of activity nights etc and free tours. When I first arrived from Scotland in September 2011 I went to Space Hotel- it's a bit pricier but really clean and there's no drinking in the rooms- it's pretty strict on noise etc as well which is good if you are working. The Nunnery has an alright reputation as well. If you're looking for somewhere really lively I'd suggest Base in St Kilda, it's not very central and I've heard mixed reviews about how clean the place is but I hear a lot of partying goes on there. It just depends what you are looking for but the same goes for places to live- I live in North Fitzroy and I love it, but it's pretty full of hipsters and not necessarily for everyone, Southbank is pretty nice but pricey. Generally the further out of the city you stay the cheaper it gets.

Oh. if you are going to be applying for jobs when you get here check the hostel has free wi-fi or is near to the library (where you get internet access free). I found Space was expensive for wifi but fortunately was only a few blocks from the library.

In terms of essentials - Cadburys chocolate- the Australian Cadburys is all kinds of wrong :-)

Hope this helps!