Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Gina73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

So I went to the kitchen to turn the light off before I went to bed and there it was, scurrying across my kitchen worktop...a huge, disgusting cockroach!
Is this normal? Or am I failing in my domestic godessness?!
I'm not usually a wuss. I can handle ants, spiders, even moths with their horrible powdery bodies, but I draw the line at flying cockroaches!
In England you only hear of them in dodgy kabab shops that haven't seena bottle of Flash for years.
What can I do to keep them out? I have sprayed all the edges with repellent and have bought 2 bait stations, but I don't want then coming in at all! Do they come up the drains? Cos I figure if the Bas***ds can fly they can probably swim too.

Now I am having dreams that when we are all asleep they are having a big get together in my kitchen

Any advice welcome
Gina
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YUK- COCKROACHES!!!

Get your house professionally treated. For a couple of days after you'll have to put up with the walking wounded emerging all over the house - after that you wont see them for months - same can't be said for the ants who will be back in 2 weeks!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Shari68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gina73
So I went to the kitchen to turn the light off before I went to bed and there it was, scurrying across my kitchen worktop...a huge, disgusting cockroach!
I'm not usually a wuss. I can handle ants, spiders, even moths with their horrible powdery bodies, but I draw the line at flying cockroaches!
In England you only hear of them in dodgy kabab shops that haven't seena bottle of Flash for years.
What can I do to keep them out? I have sprayed all the edges with repellent and have bought 2 bait stations, but I don't want then coming in at all! Do they come up the drains? Cos I figure if the Bas***ds can fly they can probably swim too.

Now I am having dreams that when we are all asleep they are having a big get together in my kitchen

Any advice welcome
Gina

Hi Gina,

I too found one in the kitchen last week ....yuk! I bought Mortein Lure'n'Kill cockroach baits (pack of 6) from Woolworths only about $4. Found it lethargic within a few days...so was able to throw it out.

Shari
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...same can't be said for the ants who will be back in 2 weeks!
Yeah...!! resillient little ****ers aren't they...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Any advice welcome
Gina
You learn to live with them...they pop in now and again in my house, not often, but when they do i set my cats onto them

I hate cockroaches arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, they make my skin crawl.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:08 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The roaches look big and nasty, but unless you are unlucky enough to get an infestation, you sort of get used to seeing bugs around the house, usually dead ones in the morning.... but, as BCWORLD suggested ants are another matter.

Fight an almost constant running battle with the little buggers and it has made us change the nature of food stuffs we have in larders or out on work tops. Almost all food is now stored in Klip containers or in the fridge. Leave anything out and there will be a neat little line of ants running backwards and forwards from it in no time.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Any advice welcome
Gina
Wait til you get maggots in your dustbin absolutely disgusting!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:15 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Roaches are everywhere here, just get used to them. You are kidding yourself if you think you will permanently get rid of them.

When I was in hospital last year here in Sydney, I went outside in the drak to sit in their gardens for a break. As i sat down on the concrete wall i heard a massive crunch. The entire wall was smothered in them!!

I was most upset this year when i was staying at my daughters place in UK. I managed to find great curry house in the village. My daughter came in screaming throwing the newspaper at me saying they had been shut down for having cockroaches in their storeroom. Somehow, i just couldnt get excited about it after living here
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Wait til you get maggots in your dustbin absolutely disgusting!
Send in the Huntsmen to sort them out..
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:19 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Send in the Huntsmen to sort them out..
I had a huge one run up my skirt yesterday when i opened the car door! He must live in there
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I had a huge one run up my skirt yesterday when i opened the car door! He must live in there
It lives up your skirt

Not so great living in OZ with all these nasties is it.

Anyone for Roach sandwich?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:23 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The most skilful cockroach killer I have ever seen is Gobbyjocks Blue Heeler dog, she bites them in the middle and kills them and leaves them on the ground, Mr PP was amazed at how good and quick she was at doing this.

I am delighted to say that my Kelpie is also skilled in killing them - quick bite down the middle and they are gone.

We have a plug in thing that sends out a low wave requency to deter them. Mr PP cant hear it, the cat cant hear it but the Kelpie and I can hear it big time, it seems so loud to me - I am the only one that can hear the buzz.

It works though, only see roaches outside.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:24 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mrs was making a cup of tea and one poured out of the kettle into the cup. Boiling seems to kill them.

Personally I recommend the sticky pads although the big ones sometimes get away minus a leg or antenna. Mortein products seem to encourage them.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:24 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
It lives up your skirt

Not so great living in OZ with all these nasties is it.

Anyone for Roach sandwich?
Nooo In the car door!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
The Mrs was making a cup of tea and one poured out of the kettle into the cup. Boiling seems to kill them.

Personally I recommend the sticky pads although the big ones sometimes get away minus a leg or antenna. Mortein products seem to encourage them.
I quite enjoy soaking them with Baygone - spraying their backs - they die pretty quick.

But Kelpie crunching is my new sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.