Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of
Default Re: You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
BTW- it's not the popping for a cup of tea- it's missing the births, christmas, birthdays, meeting new partners, shared family experiences- it's 'context' and I think it's far more important than people realise before they leave the UK and is behind many people's return.
I agree that some people do not take this into consideration, but we did and on balance it is the price you pay.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:53 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple rain
I agree that some people do not take this into consideration, but we did and on balance it is the price you pay.
Sure, but did you do it for your kids? I'm right with you in that I love my Australian life (thus far) and I can see so much benefit for my kids, but I woudn't go so far as to say I did it for them because I'm not really sure that the 'lifestyle' will serve them better, in the long run, than their extended family and roots.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Sure, but did you do it for your kids? I'm right with you in that I love my Australian life (thus far) and I can see so much benefit for my kids, but I woudn't go so far as to say I did it for them because I'm not really sure that the 'lifestyle' will serve them better, in the long run, than their extended family and roots.
We certainly didn't do it for the kids, only one of them emigrated with us the other 3 are back in the UK! (all older and happily settled for now). The daughter who came with us loves it here, as do we, she loves to travel and I am sure before long she will be off somewhere!
We all know that even though we are not in the same vicinity as our family we are still part of that family.
Life would be a bit boring if we all stayed in the same place?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

We certainly didn't do it for the kids, only one of them emigrated with us the other 3 are back in the UK! (all older and happily settled for now). The daughter who came with us loves it here, as do we, she loves to travel and I am sure before long she will be off somewhere!
We all know that even though we are not in the same vicinity as our family we are still part of that family.
Agreed about life being boring: this was an itch that needed scratched. We are lucky that our kids are pre-school, so less upheaval for them around friends, exams etc.
Actually, it is about the kids: I have taken an opportunity to exit the high stress, long hours, away from family for long time to make a career change (that is about me): where we live has a particular type of problem for kids (Attitude, Prejudice and Knives) which could be solved by moving 30 miles, never mind 10000. (that is about them)
Philosophically, we make life decisions for our kids because they are too young to make those decisions for themselves: is that about them or about us, if they are are at the heart of the decisions we make?
Speaking to friends who had options on various locations in North America, Oz or Europe, they chose Oz with their children's welfare in mind, plus obviously their perceptions of what it would be like to live in a particular area.
It is all a gamble......!!

Twinset
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that!

OTOH though, I do somtimes envy the stay-putters contentment- my wanderlust does cause me some heartache!!!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Amen to that!

OTOH though, I do somtimes envy the stay-putters contentment- my wanderlust does cause me some heartache!!!
I started travelling at a young age, we spent our money on travel as the kids where growing up, some of them now are content with where they have settled the others want to see more and experience more. Me and the hubby, who knows in a couple of years, we rather fancy living in Africa. We can always come back or go back...whatever!!!! The stay-putters may be happy with their lot, each to their own, I am happy with mine
x
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I always think its weird and funny that people emigrate "for a better life for the kids"I have aussie kids that moved with me to the UK when they were aged 9 and 11.Both do not want to return to Oz (now aged 19 and 22).Having now spent half their lives in 2 places,I can honestly say hardly anything changed for them when we moved here?We did all the same things,indoors and out.I guess the only thing we did'nt have to do was smother ourselves with the good old 30+ sunblock every time we went outside here in the UK.At times I have become homesick for Oz,I miss my family over there,but if I mention this to me kids they soon set me straight lol!!! I had a son adopted in Oz 26 years ago (now in contact)and he has just asked me for copies of my passport so he can apply for a british passport and move over here!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I always think its weird and funny that people emigrate "for a better life for the kids"I have aussie kids that moved with me to the UK when they were aged 9 and 11.Both do not want to return to Oz (now aged 19 and 22).Having now spent half their lives in 2 places,I can honestly say hardly anything changed for them when we moved here?We did all the same things,indoors and out.I guess the only thing we did'nt have to do was smother ourselves with the good old 30+ sunblock every time we went outside here in the UK.At times I have become homesick for Oz,I miss my family over there,but if I mention this to me kids they soon set me straight lol!!! I had a son adopted in Oz 26 years ago (now in contact)and he has just asked me for copies of my passport so he can apply for a british passport and move over here!
Interesting, but can you explain why they don't want to return and why the 26 year old wants to come here?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

Hi All

Interesting thread, and thought I'd add my bit.

Like you Twinset, I also used to work in the pharma industry which I feel is only going to get worse in the UK.

Original plan was to move to OZ this summer and with the current climate, I may have changed that but was offered redundancy at work and decided the financial package was to good to turn down and therefore I am still coming to Australia in the summer as I got my visa at xmas and the extra money will help whilst I try and get work.

Knowing that my skill is still on the recently updated Victoria State sponsorship list is encouraging and the fact I only have myself to worry about makes my decision a lot easier.

Very brave for people with a family to support to make the move but if you have the savings its worth doing.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Gang:Sure I'll explain,no problem!Firstly we have been back to Oz in the time we've been living here,so the kids have pretty up to date visions ect.I guess my kids really appreciate whats on offer in this country more.I've always held a balanced view of Oz,and been more positive about it than my kids have.They have enjoyed the travel aspects here (we never went anywhere O/S in Oz),reckon the people are nicer,more down to earth,they like yes like the weather (lol)and just reckon there is more to do.My son who I had adopted at birth but now have contact with is a ski/snowboard instructor with a degree in tourism.he has worked on the snow fields in Oz,and Canada,and is living in Oz at the moment.He wants to move to the UK so he has more access to working in europe but wants to spend atleast 6 mths of each year in Britain.He has travelled alot and realises its alot cheaper and easier to travel from the UK than Oz.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Some interesting posts - think most of us moving are taking risks or gambling in some way.

Whether it is for the kids or not is (very!) debatable, but as long as the kids on balance benefit more than are negatively affected, then all is good.

Twinset