Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:32 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

OK OK What is this great mystical "I am doing it for the kids" or " the kids will have a better quality of life" Really, how come these statements are never backed up by why this is magically so

I just dont understand how people seem to moan that its hot. It is hot. I kind of guessed that it would be when I decided to move.

Better for the kids is what I came for and I think I have achieved a million times over. I think its kid heaven. We eat outside every night, I have a lovely playpark, a trampoline in my garden, soon a pool and a nice big plot. The kids come home from school, I usher them through the front, through the back and outside. And that is where they stay until 6.30 when its time to come in.

That is if we dont go to the park on the sea front at mooloolaba (twice a week usually), or point cartwright (at least once a week), Mudjimba river or beach (once a week).

I have lived in Australia 6 years and we really get out heaps more than home. I also went to the beach 3 times a week at home summer and winter but I can tell you it wasnt as easy to enjoy.

One has a dental appointment later, that will set me back $200 at least, In the UK, Wales at least you will be lucky to find a nhs dentist and you have to have signed up for 15 years to get an appointment. Get health insurance and it doesn't cost $200 for a general appointment - its mroe like $120 before the rebate. Mine charges $65 -80 usually and I get $45 back.

I spent from 13 onwards sitting on some benches drinking cider with my mates.

My husband isnt in the pub here every week - we both would have been quite often at home, instead on a saturday we will bbq out in our garden with other families.

Right now my husband and nephew have the girls in my brothers pool while I am pretending to cook dinner while on a laptop. My house wouldnt have been big enough to get to that at home.

I dread it cause the education here is oh so easy but what the hell do they actually learn
This debate has been on another thread but Australia is above the UK in lots of subjects and on many charts

Australian kids go to europe because there is a big wide world out there to see. I went to lots of places, doesnt make the UK a bad place, its just part of growing up is wanting to see other things. How many people do you meet in Britain who say "I'm Australian originally but I decided to come and live here for the rest of my life"

I love UK, I miss Marks and Tescos (more than my mother sometimes). I miss the culture and diversity of Europe scenically and culturally. But I have no doubt that Australia is a better place for my children, there are heaps more opportunities (I seem to be turning them down at a rate of knots).

I met a girl 11 years old who was into drama, missed the quality and standard of home - but as I said, here you can work hard and actually get on tv - how hard is that at home, then with experience you can go conquer Europe. I have a friend whos a journalist, she came here and scored a job with Cosmo - woudl never have done that at home. This led to a job in UK Cosmo and now she works organising events around the Grand Prix - seriously cushy number.she is beautiful and clever but i think its harder to show your talent with so many others in the uk.

Its what you make it. What you want and where you come from. And you know, if you dont like it, vive le difference. Go home and sit in the pub telling everyone about your great adventure - at least it will be more interesting that talking about the woman next door all night.

i cant think of a positive to not having uk tv though, who writes the s**t over here. Lucky i found be!
Viv

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 17th 2009 at 5:47 am.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Go Viv!!

Drwho, thanks for insight - glad it has worked out for you.

Dorothy, fair point, and, frankly, the largest part of the play: no visa, then very small mortgage, long holiday in Oz (!) and onto the next challenge.....most people see gamble as "win" or "lose": I see it as a dice roll: each action has consequences,

It is interesting how people see things: I would consider myself and my family blessed and able to achieve anything you really put your mind to and walk into with your eyes open. But you have to have a very clear vision of what you are going to achieve.

In turn, isn't it amazing what doors then open for you, very often from unexpected directions (e.g. DIAC and visa processing changes in early Jan, friends who have popped up in places that have helped us out enormously, support from people on these boards, support we have been able to give others)

Mohammed Ali called it "future history". He would not sign for a fight until he had beaten the other fighter in his mind. When he was beaten for the first time by Frazier, he described Frazier as having a better future history than me...

Enjoy your weekend!!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quoll
As you will know, I am firmly in the camp of if it aint broke dont fix it!

Also being old I am increasingly aware of the problems that face older Australians unless they are pretty well heeled. You probably have your retirement worked out and will be comfortable - if you came to Aus you would need to be. Your UK pension would be frozen and you would have no access to any Aus support for 10 years.

What is so important about living in another country? It isnt so much the place as the people that make life worth living IMHO. Have you thought perhaps that in your "old age" you could come to Aus, be grey nomads and travel around in a camper van for months on end on a tourist visa. Then you could do the same in Canada, USA, or you could do what many of us did as youngsters and backpack across Asia - that's an adventure!! then you could get a taste of other lifestyles. I find there is much less here to engage and inspire me in my old age than there would be back in UK with Europe on my doorstep - my retirement in UK would be peppered with city breaks all over Europe whereas here it will take me 5 hours flying at least to just get out of the country.

BTW your daughter has excellent taste - being a Cambridge born and raised girl myself I cannot but agree with her!
Hi quoll,

Well, what I really want is a house with a pool and the weather to use it! I'm like viviennef from the next 'page', I want that lifestyle, eating out every night and the kids in the park or in the pool....also I desperately do NOT want to 'grow old in the cold' here in England. Maybe you've forgotton the grey gloom, the biting winds and the endless rain of an english winter (and summer too it increasingly seems!)?

Yes, we have thought about being grey nomads but the problem I have is that I am 49, my husband is 36 (oops, let me correct that, actually thats not a problem as such ) however, in 10 years, I will want to retire whereas my husband will then be 46 and will most likely want/need to keep working as our youngest child will be just 17 so hardly independent. So in 10 years I'll have the free time but my OH won't. So theres no point us planning all this free time together to do things as I'll be the only one with the free time! We therefore thought if we came to Aus then we can bring up the kids, and in time I can retire in the sun whilst he continues to work...

Feeling a bit more positive today, watched some recorded versions of Wanted Down Under and can see its all about timing....we have missed the boat for the moment, as if we came now, we'd be worse off financially than staying. Maybe things will turn around before too long, but I really appreciate what you've said about being an older person in Aus, thank you as its given me an insight I didn't have before!

The thing I quite fancy doing in my old age is to live in a retirement community, with a load of mates my own age and a health club! OK, maybe you think I am daft but I think those communities are great, we are starting to have them here too, but we don't have the sunshine to go with them....now I do have to say that they also have those communities in Spain but as I've said, moving to Spain is only an option if I leave my husband behind for much of the year and I really love him far too much to do that!

Bye for now, gotta go and be with all my family in front of the open fire...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
OK OK What is this great mystical "I am doing it for the kids" or " the kids will have a better quality of life" Really, how come these statements are never backed up by why this is magically so

I just dont understand how people seem to moan that its hot. It is hot. I kind of guessed that it would be when I decided to move.

Better for the kids is what I came for and I think I have achieved a million times over. I think its kid heaven. We eat outside every night, I have a lovely playpark, a trampoline in my garden, soon a pool and a nice big plot. The kids come home from school, I usher them through the front, through the back and outside. And that is where they stay until 6.30 when its time to come in.

That is if we dont go to the park on the sea front at mooloolaba (twice a week usually), or point cartwright (at least once a week), Mudjimba river or beach (once a week).

I have lived in Australia 6 years and we really get out heaps more than home. I also went to the beach 3 times a week at home summer and winter but I can tell you it wasnt as easy to enjoy.

One has a dental appointment later, that will set me back $200 at least, In the UK, Wales at least you will be lucky to find a nhs dentist and you have to have signed up for 15 years to get an appointment. Get health insurance and it doesn't cost $200 for a general appointment - its mroe like $120 before the rebate. Mine charges $65 -80 usually and I get $45 back.

I spent from 13 onwards sitting on some benches drinking cider with my mates.

My husband isnt in the pub here every week - we both would have been quite often at home, instead on a saturday we will bbq out in our garden with other families.

Right now my husband and nephew have the girls in my brothers pool while I am pretending to cook dinner while on a laptop. My house wouldnt have been big enough to get to that at home.

I dread it cause the education here is oh so easy but what the hell do they actually learn
This debate has been on another thread but Australia is above the UK in lots of subjects and on many charts

Australian kids go to europe because there is a big wide world out there to see. I went to lots of places, doesnt make the UK a bad place, its just part of growing up is wanting to see other things. How many people do you meet in Britain who say "I'm Australian originally but I decided to come and live here for the rest of my life"

I love UK, I miss Marks and Tescos (more than my mother sometimes). I miss the culture and diversity of Europe scenically and culturally. But I have no doubt that Australia is a better place for my children, there are heaps more opportunities (I seem to be turning them down at a rate of knots).

I met a girl 11 years old who was into drama, missed the quality and standard of home - but as I said, here you can work hard and actually get on tv - how hard is that at home, then with experience you can go conquer Europe. I have a friend whos a journalist, she came here and scored a job with Cosmo - woudl never have done that at home. This led to a job in UK Cosmo and now she works organising events around the Grand Prix - seriously cushy number.she is beautiful and clever but i think its harder to show your talent with so many others in the uk.

Its what you make it. What you want and where you come from. And you know, if you dont like it, vive le difference. Go home and sit in the pub telling everyone about your great adventure - at least it will be more interesting that talking about the woman next door all night.

i cant think of a positive to not having uk tv though, who writes the s**t over here. Lucky i found be!
Viv

Not sure what you dont understand about the heat being a problem, you were saying your baby got sunburn the other day wasnt that at a early morning meet, and your husband was going to kill you.

Dentist cost $220 one filling and check up, medibank private paid back $60. We used to get far more than that back, but most funds have cut rebates recently.

We love the beach, probably go more than most aussies, however once your kids are 15 and 12 they need a little more than parks and beaches.....

Education - Qld has some of the worst education results in australia, even the government has even acknowledged that, sorry by high school it is a very large concern. My opinion is based on 3 kids, most grades over 8 years, state and private.

If you dont like it go home", never washes with me, too many aussie flag bumper stickers telling immigrants to Furk off, that is ignorant enough. I think as an immigrant myself it would be ignorant of us to assume most people can just do as you suggest. Having read this forum for a few years, Ive learnt most people have far more complicated lives - australian spouses, children in education, older children or grandchildren financial limitations, health issues.....
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Gold Gang

Well, what I really want is a house with a pool and the weather to use it! I'm like viviennef from the next 'page', I want that lifestyle, eating out every night and the kids in the park or in the pool....also I desperately do NOT want to 'grow old in the cold' here in England. Maybe you've forgotton the grey gloom, the biting winds and the endless rain of an english winter (and summer too it increasingly seems!)?
LOL had to chuckle - we ate outside far more last summer (yes, LAST summer) in UK than we ever do here. No mozzies, no flies just that long balmy evening - even my died in the wool Aussie DH commented on how much more enjoyable it was. We did have a barbie outside on NY day - the mozzies enjoyed my uncovered bits and the flies decided to stay up late and enjoy the party.

The rain becomes very appealing when you have been in drought for 7 years and here, you stay inside and make love to the airconditioner on the hot days because you would be the barbie if you venture outside. Swings and roundabouts hey?

I do rather like the idea of a retirement complex with a health spa attached though but the DH wants to go out to the a*se end of nowhere on a block to be self sufficient for when civilization collapses. Not me, a flush loo is a non negotiable
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=quoll;7181505]

LOL had to chuckle - we ate outside far more last summer (yes, LAST summer) in UK than we ever do here. No mozzies, no flies.....

On our chrissy hols we pulled up in campervan at Kiama, beautiful spot NSW, noticed staight away only one BBQ, umm huge park area, one barbie.

ANyway decide to risk it, by the time we had a plate of sausages cooked the flies were by the thousand, ( sunny coast they are too bad so we must have forgot ... ) The sausage plate is black with swarms of them, totally impossible to stand still, let alone sit down with a plate of food, even running back to the van they are going your nose, ears, eyes. Dumped fly laden sausages in bin, sat with a tin of soup in campervan with doors and windows sealed
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jad n rich;7181616]

LOL had to chuckle - we ate outside far more last summer (yes, LAST summer) in UK than we ever do here. No mozzies, no flies.....

On our chrissy hols we pulled up in campervan at Kiama, beautiful spot NSW, noticed staight away only one BBQ, umm huge park area, one barbie.

ANyway decide to risk it, by the time we had a plate of sausages cooked the flies were by the thousand, ( sunny coast they are too bad so we must have forgot ... ) The sausage plate is black with swarms of them, totally impossible to stand still, let alone sit down with a plate of food, even running back to the van they are going your nose, ears, eyes. Dumped fly laden sausages in bin, sat with a tin of soup in campervan with doors and windows sealed
I live near Kiama.. I don't do BBq's.. I wonder why?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:45 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Baby got burnt (rather a little too red!) and so did I because we met at the beach at 10am. I presumed we would stay for an hour but I really enjoyed myself long enough to pull him out of the pram, without a hat and then stay for another couple of hours, didn't end up leaving till nearly 2. not a good move without sun screen. It was really pleasant though and because it was very comfortable I didnt really realise how hot it was - sea breezes and all that.

At home he would have got chapped lips though I suppose. I dont find the heat a problem although I prefer the non mid summer time, just need to be careful with protection

We bbq outside every night. We live in Buderim. I do have a fan on our under cover area which is lovely and cool in the day. It also fans away most flies, and we burn some candles and its fine. Without the candles the mozzies are a problem.

For a filling I get $75 back and $34 for the appointment. I dont pay as much as you though to start I dont think.

I am just about to start a course of dental treatment, so will keep you posted as I cry about the cost. As I said, at home, dentists are in short supply so I am happy I can get an appointment

Our local schools that I am considering - either Mountain Creek, Matthew Flinders or Suncoast have 58,89 and 86% of children moving onto a university education. Thats a lot higher than Cynffig Comprehensive. Maybe I am from a rougher area at home and so do not have the same high standards and happy locality to compare to? Where I live I really love the area but its grey, it constantly rains, everyone is tired and complains of SAD, drugs is a real problem.

Europe being close I miss. I wish though there woudl be a climate change as I think I would go back because of my friends and family.

I know lots of teenagers and they all seem really happy. My nephew is 17 and he loves Australia. He isnt sporty but has heaps of friends and enjoys the constant end of parties he seems to go to.

I think a lot of people seem REALLY unhappy here. Its a pity. I was ready to go home 2 years ago because I hated Brisbane. But I guess now I have just settled. I am breastfeeding (hence the frequent posts!).

My husband wants to go home this year for a visit but for the first time I just dont want to go back there - cant see the point. Costs lots of money and I would rather buy things here - I wish everyone would just come over here.

I am like a pendulum though - catch me another month and I may be doom and gloom too
Vivienne
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Twinset
Good on ya! My wife and I in race to see who gets job first, then who gets to be house husband or wife!!

Coming to Adelaide too - how have you settled in??

Twinset
We have been here for over 3 years. Lots to do when we first arrived. Both of us eventually settled in good jobs. Enjoying life in Adelaide and have seen quite a bit of Australia also.
We had a great life in the Uk and have the same here.
Good luck with the job search, let us know who gets a job first
Jacqui
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

The fairer sex always wins...so I better start reading up on the cookbooks...!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

The Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant futureThe Gold Gang has a brilliant future

LOL had to chuckle - we ate outside far more last summer (yes, LAST summer) in UK than we ever do here. No mozzies, no flies just that long balmy evening - even my died in the wool Aussie DH commented on how much more enjoyable it was. We did have a barbie outside on NY day - the mozzies enjoyed my uncovered bits and the flies decided to stay up late and enjoy the party.

The rain becomes very appealing when you have been in drought for 7 years and here, you stay inside and make love to the airconditioner on the hot days because you would be the barbie if you venture outside. Swings and roundabouts hey?

I do rather like the idea of a retirement complex with a health spa attached though but the DH wants to go out to the a*se end of nowhere on a block to be self sufficient for when civilization collapses. Not me, a flush loo is a non negotiable
Hi quoll,

I'd rather feared what you are saying about eating outside! But you are in Canberra, surrounded by bush and when we visited, we immediately noticed that the 'Australian wave' was totally essential when outside (day or night) in Canberra....at least in Queensland, they don't suffer from bush flies in the same way...now mozzies, thats another story....

However, I don't think we ate outside last year, ie 2008, more than two or three times - it just wasn't warm enough! And there are mozzies here too, albeit not carrying Ross River, Barmah virus or heaven forbid, Dengue Fever! Mind you, they are getting nastier as the weather here gets wetter and more humid...I know three people who had to have antibiotics last summer following infected mozzie bites and I read an article which indicated that they are starting to bring disease into the UK...nothing compared to Aus I know.

Re: 'the DH wants to go out to the a*se end of nowhere on a block to be self sufficient for when civilization collapses'; have you though of going to Perth? No, joking apart, Perth is beeyootiful, and well suited for the eventuality you mention, complete with their own underground water supply and all that land to grow stuff on and be self sufficient....

When I read some of the posts on here, I do wonder though if people do the research before they up and set off for Aus? Only all the stuff about schools and statistics is all available on the internet with a bit of digging around....its important to me, so I've checked it out, however, of course, you can't possibly get the lowdown on everything and reading this forum has definitely been a eye opener for me! I guess you just can't know until you've been there and lived the life for yourself...

Funnily enough, Canberra is the only place we could go where we'd be as well off as we are here, if not a bit better off. But I'm not going all that way to be two hours from what, to me, is Australia's major attraction, and thats the coastline....I've got friends on the Gold Coast, they are pretty well off its true and in a different life stage to my OH and I as they are already retired, although they are not very old, anyway they love it there, they consdier themselves fortunate to have got into Australia and they could have lived anywhere. They are down the bottom end in Carrara and there are some great schools around there, both State and private. There's loads to do, plenty of stuff for all ages, including the retirement community. I visited them and I thought it was really, really nice...

I don't know what we'll do, we've promised my daughter we'll stay here until she is 18, which is next year, then we'll decide. I think if my OH can find a contract out there for a year, then we'll come over, for the experience. Like everyone says, if you don't like it, you can always come back.
In the meantime, until 2010, that is, I'm off to Spain for a couple of holidays, and checking out parts of the southern coastline that are as yet, undeveloped! And there are one or two of those left, although property there isn't cheap! I'm thinking of starting a business that matches people who are interested in buying overseas property, but can't afford the whole investment...so maybe they would own a quarter share, all legal and NOT time share or anything...just own 3 months each year to go and enjoy the place.

Good luck anyway.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The mosquitoes are just as bad in Toowong.

We never sit outside in the evening.

G
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The gamble became a little less today.

Twinset
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Twinset
The gamble became a little less today.

Twinset
Sounds good
Jacqui
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Sounds good
Jacqui
See you in Adelaide later in the year!!

Twinset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.