Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default Re: You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL if they want a less insular view of the world then for heavens sake dont come to Australia - insularity personified
At least they will get insular views of two cultures.......

Watching the "buy a house in the sun" thing on Perth at the mo: winds of 80mph forecast here this weekend.....

Afraid best efforts of Grayling and creature not really putting me off.....
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset

Watching the "buy a house in the sun" thing on Perth at the mo: winds of 80mph forecast here this weekend.....
Sunny alright it was 40C there yesterday.

I'd love to see one of those shows do Perth mid winter with severe wind and rain, perth mid summer 40c and flies, brisbane with houses sans roof after a storm Melbourne with a bloody great bushfire in the background.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sunny alright it was 40C there yesterday.

I'd love to see one of those shows do Perth mid winter with severe wind and rain, perth mid summer 40c and flies, brisbane with houses sans roof after a storm Melbourne with a bloody great bushfire in the background.
...at least they were speaking to a surfer, who wasn't surfing 'cos a pointer had been seen off the beach.....a small dose of reality!!

Now I have given notice at work, really starting to dream about next move...!!

Twinset
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I really couldn't care less what happens to you but this is an open forum read by many people.

If some sensible opinions make others think a bit more carefully then it will be useful.

People can learn from other's mistakes.

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not trying to put you off either.. going from your first post you say that quitting the job will finance the move.. so voluntary redundancy then?. If so, that's fair enough. Just go for it.... but try and get some reality into the decision process. Plenty of people find Australia a truly awful place to live and head back home and that's not the simply matter of just getting on a plane and going back... two moves around the globe can be financially devastating and take years to recover from.

It was Alandnic that I thought were nuts. If they really are giving up all they say to get here then they need to take a cold look at what they expect to get out of Australia that justifies those decisions.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by s/nurse
And some people do emigrate for their childrens futures, I believe it gives them a less insular view of the world which must be a good thing.
There will be very few people, who, if blissfully happy in their current location, will sit down and think "I know, lets move 10,000 miles so that little Johnny can learn to surf and have a better life" People move for their own reasons and then rationalize that choice and convince themselves that its for their childrens benefit as well. I mean how could you possibly know that moving to Australia will be 'better' for your children unless you had already lived here in the first place?.
In many ways I would agree that Australia IS better for kids, but primarily little kids. As your children reach adulthood and begin to think about jobs and employment chances its absolutely NOT better than Europe. A fact bourn out by the numbers of Australia's finest who leave for Europe and the US every year.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats exactly what I thought too
Its one of the first words that comes to mind when describing the place, isn't it
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
I really couldn't care less what happens to you but this is an open forum read by many people.

If some sensible opinions make others think a bit more carefully then it will be useful.

People can learn from other's mistakes.

G
G,

Now I am getting interested: what is your opinion? And what are your assumptions underpinning it?

Creature, spot on - redundancy after 17 years and 2 kids 4 and 5......
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

G,

Now I am getting interested: what is your opinion? And what are your assumptions underpinning it?

My opinion?

See post 41 on this thread
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

...and read my signature.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

No visa, but gave up my job today cos that is what will finance the move. Not normally a gambler but Oz fever strikes......was told on Tues we are in accelerated visa queue, but life holds no guarantees.....

What is/was your biggest gamble to get to Oz?

Twinset
Am i missing something? how will giving up your job (and presumably stopping your income stream) finance your move?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

G,

Then go for it... but if there is anyway you can maintain a fallback option, then I would, with the benefit of hindsight, try to have one. If you have a house to sell, for example, then consider renting it rather than selling it. Much easier to go back to something already in place should it all go pear shaped on you... and the next couple of years will be tougher than most to set up a new life in Oz, thanks to the economic climate.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Am i missing something? how will giving up your job (and presumably stopping your income stream) finance your move?
.... with a big fat redundancy check.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
oh... why work when you don't have to!!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Nothing ever lasts forever. Certainly not a job. And too sensible to spend the cash - that is insurance. And yes, I am giving up my income stream - or at least swapping it for another.
Creature, you are right again and on my wavelength - don't burn every bridge in a downturn. Apart from anything else, selling our house in UK would be difficult right now and not most sensible option, so exploring others.

G, The original question was: what did you gamble to move to Oz: I am curious, what did you gamble, or risks taken?

Last edited by Twinset; Jan 16th 2009 at 10:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.