Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default Re: You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Thank you, I do try - sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I don't want to turn this into a history lesson but most people seem to believe that every recession just bounces back in a couple of years because that's how the last few are remembered... but that is NOT guaranteed.

The Great Depression in 1929 did not end in the US until the US joined the Second World War. Until that point the US was still mired in recession and was going nowhere... that's not just a couple of years, and it took another ten years after the war before the US stock market reached the point it had been in 1929. That's an entire generation.. and this latest downturn is being compared to 1929.

The fundamental difference between 1929 and the current problem is, that at the moment, governments world wide are pouring money into the system to prevent its total collapse.. but that can't continue for much longer and if it fails to work then this downturn will turn into a crash.
Enjoy the ride!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinset
Enjoy the ride!!
I really can't think of an answer to that without insulting your intelligence so I will leave you to your own devices.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:25 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

No visa, but gave up my job today cos that is what will finance the move. Not normally a gambler but Oz fever strikes......was told on Tues we are in accelerated visa queue, but life holds no guarantees.....

What is/was your biggest gamble to get to Oz?

Twinset
Sold business, house, 3 cars, put the rest into a 40' box in storage, put dogs into kennels...
Travelled to Oz on a tourist Visa to see if I liked it... I did, so I got another visa and shipped everything out, dogs and all...

That was 2.5 years ago and I haven't been home since...

Rock 'n Roll...
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

OK OK What is this great mystical "I am doing it for the kids" or " the kids will have a better quality of life" Really, how come these statements are never backed up by why this is magically so

Back in reality land, my kids have now banged the AC on as its already too flipping hot to go outside!!! One has a dental appointment later, that will set me back $200 at least, tongiht 4 tickets at the movies will cost us $64 plus another $40 if you all fancied popcorn and a drink. Next week they go back to school, they dread it as the kids sit there in boiling heat, and I dread it cause the education here is oh so easy but what the hell do they actually learn

Rant over

Anyway back to the OP point, I sort of agree with Quoll, this is not the best time for australian jobs but I suppose everyone on here yet to move going to take that risk not just the OP. Were all different, I guess some people feel comfortable with maybe not finding work and all that brings, I would keep in mind though OZ is not a cheap place to live.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I really can't think of an answer to that without insulting your intelligence so I will leave you to your own devices.
Point is that many people are devoting a lot of energy towards trying to predict what is going to happen in the future, some see it as negative, others positive.
Example, Tesco in the UK report a like for like increase in sales of 3.5% over Christmas: press screams worst figures in 20 years: have I missed something?

We can all see the potential negativity of a downturn: let's not turn it into a crisis! I know nothing about economics of great depression but wonder if the world economy would allow it to happen on that scale again?

Anyhows, Gordon Brown is just going to print more money...but the exchange rate is a different thread....
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
OK OK What is this great mystical "I am doing it for the kids" or " the kids will have a better quality of life" Really, how come these statements are never backed up by why this is magically so

Back in reality land, my kids have now banged the AC on as its already too flipping hot to go outside!!! One has a dental appointment later, that will set me back $200 at least, tongiht 4 tickets at the movies will cost us $64 plus another $40 if you all fancied popcorn and a drink. Next week they go back to school, they dread it as the kids sit there in boiling heat, and I dread it cause the education here is oh so easy but what the hell do they actually learn
I couldnt agree more! That's just a cop out excuse. Dont forget soaring rates of mental illness in highschool/college kids (and reaching down into the primaries as well), increased risk of melanoma, lack of extended family. And the fact that many dynamic young Aussies go to UK and Europe for better career prospects. <my rant over too>

And, yup, we have thugs in our schools too - and we dont like to expel them either because it may infringe their human rights if you are really really naughty you might score a 5 day suspension but then of course your parents would have the department in court and be blaming the school for failing to do something or other. We have stabbings, muggings and all that (even in highly civilized Canberra it happens) - this is just another place with a bit more (and sometimes too bloody much) sunshine!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

We can all see the potential negativity of a downturn: let's not turn it into a crisis! I know nothing about economics of great depression but wonder if the world economy would allow it to happen on that scale again?
This is a straight cut and paste from Wiki, but its an excellent paragraph about The Great Depression... see if any of it sounds familiar... and if you think it explains why world governments are basically in a panic about current events.

During the Crash of 1929 preceeding the Great Depression, margin requirements were only 10%. Brokerage firms, in other words, would lend $9 for every $1 an investor had deposited. When the market fell, brokers called in these loans, which could not be paid back. Banks began to fail as debtors defaulted on debt and depositors attempted to withdraw their deposits en masse, triggering multiple bank runs. Government guarantees and Federal Reserve banking regulations to prevent such panics were ineffective or not used. Bank failures led to the loss of billions of dollars in assets. Outstanding debts became heavier, because prices and incomes fell by 20–50% but the debts remained at the same dollar amount. After the panic of 1929, and during the first 10 months of 1930, 744 US banks failed. (In all, 9,000 banks failed during the 1930s). By April 1933, around $7 billion in deposits had been frozen in failed banks or those left unlicensed after the March Bank Holiday.

Bank failures snowballed as desperate bankers called in loans which the borrowers did not have time or money to repay. With future profits looking poor, capital investment and construction slowed or completely ceased. In the face of bad loans and worsening future prospects, the surviving banks became even more conservative in their lending. Banks built up their capital reserves and made fewer loans, which intensified deflationary pressures. A vicious cycle developed and the downward spiral accelerated.

The liquidation of debt could not keep up with the fall of prices which it caused. The mass effect of the stampede to liquidate increased the value of each dollar owed, relative to the value of declining asset holdings. The very effort of individuals to lessen their burden of debt effectively increased it. Paradoxically, the more the debtors paid, the more they owed. This self-aggravating process turned a 1930 recession into a 1933 great depression.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I couldnt agree more! That's just a cop out excuse. Dont forget soaring rates of mental illness in highschool/college kids (and reaching down into the primaries as well), increased risk of melanoma, lack of extended family. And the fact that many dynamic young Aussies go to UK and Europe for better career prospects. <my rant over too>

And, yup, we have thugs in our schools too - and we dont like to expel them either because it may infringe their human rights if you are really really naughty you might score a 5 day suspension but then of course your parents would have the department in court and be blaming the school for failing to do something or other. We have stabbings, muggings and all that (even in highly civilized Canberra it happens) - this is just another place with a bit more (and sometimes too bloody much) sunshine!

Melonama, OMG today you can feel the burn within seconds, and thats in the shade/car with linen clothes on, its freaking scary. Saw a kid in the dentist with blonde hair and skin the colour of an indian person, might look cute ?? now, but can you imagine that skin by age 30

Moving to austraila for its sun is a major downside not a plus.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Agreed.

G
What a load of s**t, 3 of my children reside aroung the world, one in Oz.
Hopefully what we have given then is the will to folow their heart and live their lives to the full.
You do it because you can. End of.
Jacqui
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s/nurse
What a load of s**t, 3 of my children reside aroung the world, one in Oz.
Hopefully what we have given then is the will to folow their heart and live their lives to the full.
You do it because you can. End of.
Jacqui
Why single me out for agreeing with another poster.

The OP wanted opinions so I gave one

I simply think gambling on your future when you have kids is an immature, selfish and irresponsible thing to do but is no more than I would expect from many people.

People do not migrate for the kids future but for their own reasons

G
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why single me out for agreeing with another poster.

The OP wanted opinions so I gave one

I simply think gambling on your future when you have kids is an immature, selfish and irresponsible thing to do but is no more than I would expect from many people.

People do not migrate for the kids future but for their own reasons

G
Chill out!!!!!!!!!
For me it was an informed decision, you only get one chance at life, for some it may be a gamble
It worked out well for us so why not others.
And some people do emigrate for their childrens futures, I believe it gives them a less insular view of the world which must be a good thing.

Last edited by purple rain; Jan 16th 2009 at 10:01 am.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I love this song and it sums everything up for me
And yes I have a child on the other side of the world and he said to me last week that we had proved to him that whatever he wanted out of life was possible if he wanted it enough.

Of course I miss him like mad, but he's only got a couple more years of study left and then he'll be coming out here.

Last edited by Wendy; Jan 16th 2009 at 10:09 am.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Chill out!!!!!!!!!
For me it was an informed decision, you only get one chance at life, for some it may be a gamble
It worked out well for us so why not others.
And some people do emigrate for their childrens futures, I believe it gives them a less insular view of the world which must be a good thing.
LOL if they want a less insular view of the world then for heavens sake dont come to Australia - insularity personified
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL if they want a less insular view of the world then for heavens sake dont come to Australia - insularity personified
Thats exactly what I thought too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.