Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

No visa, but gave up my job today cos that is what will finance the move. Not normally a gambler but Oz fever strikes......was told on Tues we are in accelerated visa queue, but life holds no guarantees.....

What is/was your biggest gamble to get to Oz?

Twinset
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You've got to know when to hold 'em....gambling for Oz

Do you have a job to go to? If not, I'd say you are gambling very heavily there and no way would I ever give up a job in this financial climate unless there was a cast iron one waiting for me on the other side of the world - guess you've seen the thread about employment worries?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

What did you gamble to get to another country?

Everyone has a risk threshold, yours is different from mine - I have a particular skillset and the risk is controlled. In three years we would be well unable to emigrate, sitting with a glass of wine and wondering "what if....?"

It was now or never.....

Last edited by Twinset; Jan 15th 2009 at 12:54 am. Reason: In three years no Visa!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No gamble at all. When we came it was for an opportunity not to be missed so we didnt, but never did we put our family in any sort of financial difficulties in the process, we came to a guaranteed income with housing provided.

Each to their own and if you are happy with your decision then all the best - but do check out the thread in the Barbie!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

the only gamble we took was putting the house on the market and accepting an offer before we had the visa... but of course nothing was set in stone until we exchanged contracts so not really a gamble!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we had nothing to come to when we made the decision to come to Australia. OH gave up a really good well paid job, we had all our friends and family around us. We had a good standard of living. So gave it all up and came to Australia.
So far, it is working for us. My OH landed a good job within 1 week of landing here, found a great spot to live and found somewhere to rent. Have made some great new friends and now have a good standard of living......and like you say we didn't want to be sitting in the UK saying what if.
So stay positive and it will work......the easy option is to stay in the UK because that's the comfort zone. The hard option is to leave and give it all up......so good luck and go with your gut feel.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinset

Everyone has a risk threshold, yours is different from mine - I have a particular skillset and the risk is controlled. In three years we would be well unable to emigrate, sitting with a glass of wine and wondering "what if....?"

It was now or never.....
If you really did chuck it all in on a gamble that it would work, then, considering the current climate, you are either very brave or very stupid. Only time will tell which one it is.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

It was now or never.....
We all takes risks to one degree of another, personally I have a lot of respect for you. I hope it all works out, and if not, I am sure with your attitude to life you will be fine
Jacqui
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:58 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

No visa, but gave up my job today cos that is what will finance the move. Not normally a gambler but Oz fever strikes......was told on Tues we are in accelerated visa queue, but life holds no guarantees.....

Twinset
Any major move like this is always going to be a gamble. Fundementally, we are gambling that we will be happier or better of (better lives for our children's futures) in a new environment far away from home, family and familiarity.

- CDM
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:07 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

You know I am never going to be a millionaire. I seem to have a completely different viewpoint on life in general than most people I read - mind you I did have a life changing experience and they say that it affects you.

I think, its just a job. I am 37 and have just chucked in my job/house/life 3 times. Travelled around the world for 2 years on different occasions, once on my own, without really knowing where I was going too. Left school at 16, moved to London on my own. I once bought a car sight unseen on the internet when online sales first took off. I dont come from a family of money, my mother lives in a council house and my dad was working class although he worked abroad a bit, I was born in Zimbabwe.

The way I see it - you live, you die. When I lie there riddled with arthritis telling my kids about my life, I dont want to think of all the things I havent done but doesnt my bank look great.

If you work hard, play hard things will come right in the end. I went to college later and studied computer science so I will usually get a job doing something - my favourite saying is "reasons to succeed excuses to fail"

My life has been one long fun gamble and I have this overwhelming desire to pack up my kids and head to Malawi or Tibet before they are too old to disrupt - last week I fancied moving to France, wonder what tomorrow will bring...

I mean you move to Australia for 1 month, a year, you gain an experience. IT doesnt have to be forever

We are all different though
Vivienne
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by viviennef
You know I am never going to be a millionaire. I seem to have a completely different viewpoint on life in general than most people I read - mind you I did have a life changing experience and they say that it affects you.

I think, its just a job. I am 37 and have just chucked in my job/house/life 3 times. Travelled around the world for 2 years on different occasions, once on my own, without really knowing where I was going too. Left school at 16, moved to London on my own. I once bought a car sight unseen on the internet when online sales first took off. I dont come from a family of money, my mother lives in a council house and my dad was working class although he worked abroad a bit, I was born in Zimbabwe.

The way I see it - you live, you die. When I lie there riddled with arthritis telling my kids about my life, I dont want to think of all the things I havent done but doesnt my bank look great.

If you work hard, play hard things will come right in the end. I went to college later and studied computer science so I will usually get a job doing something - my favourite saying is "reasons to succeed excuses to fail"

My life has been one long fun gamble and I have this overwhelming desire to pack up my kids and head to Malawi or Tibet before they are too old to disrupt - last week I fancied moving to France, wonder what tomorrow will bring...

We are all different though
Vivienne
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep!! Reassuring that other people have been where we are right now - it is always interesting how people respond to this type of situation: the one thing we all hve in common is where we are or want to be....Oz!!

How you do it is up to you: we are doing it the only way we know how: full tilt!

Have to say, I am normally quite risk-averse, but have a really good gut feeling about this.....!!

So, I will go with my gut....hopefully next post will be visa!!

Twinset
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Twinset
sold my house & all possessions in 2004 a year before my visa was eventually granted .... am still in the UK!!!

My personal possions have been in Oz for nearly 3 years!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

The way I see it is this, yes its very scary going into the unknown and leaving your comfort zone etc, but the very reason it is hard is the attatchments we hold onto,, the job were comfortable in, the house we rent/bought etc,, if your hard working and look for solutions in life, you`l survive,, I cant believe I went & came bk! and the very things I hated in OZ were petty,,food shops etc,, but did we starve? NO,, its all about learning to adapt and being thankful/grateful you have the opportunity to even get a chance of living in such a lovely country, and granted its not perfect and for everyone, I know that better than anyone,, but for us the timing was wrong and my mindset.

Good Luck
Bluekipper
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluekipper - at least you went for it, scratched the itch and Chilliman - why still in UK? At least you will have a bucketload of cash from house sale.....!!

Think you are right about solutions - just doing a course at moment about psychology of optimism vs pessimism and this thread has been the perfect example.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.