Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Youth in Perth/Melbourne

Youth in Perth/Melbourne

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

gottogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Youth in Perth/Melbourne

A number of posters have recently highlighted problems with teenagers in the Perth suburbs who cause trouble mainly due to lack of things to do there. Is this less of a problem in Melbourne where there are more facilities for the kids? Is this also one of the reasons crime is so high in Perth in comparison (I mean per 100.000 of the population) as it seems you are twice as likely to be robbed/burgled in Perth. Or are statistics misleading in this case? We are seriously considering moving to Melbourne now instead of Perth because of these issues. Any views from you experts out there?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:58 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth in Perth/Melbourne

Statistically Tasmania is the "safest" state followed by Victoria.

My kids arn't teenagers yet so i don't really know about the reputation of this age group here in Melbourne. But basically its down to the parents what the kids get up to, by that i mean hobbies etc and keeping them busy and off the streets etc. There must be just as many clubs etc in Perth as here in Melbourne surely??
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:36 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth in Perth/Melbourne

Originally Posted by hevs
There must be just as many clubs etc in Perth as here in Melbourne surely??
Yes, most probably.

I'm not sure what the statistics are, but I'm guessing there's not that much difference between states. Because I don't see any major differences between the big cities.

Btw, you say 'it seems you are twice as likely to be robbed/burgled in Perth'
Where are these statistics from?

I know that yes, Perth has a big burglary problem, but can't imagine it being twice as high...
Only know of one person who was burgeld on this forum.

Maybe statistics are misleading. Who knows, maybe more people in Perth don't lock their houses up properly? (I don't know, but it seems feasable to me from what I know/who I know)