Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your worst enemy in Australia

Your worst enemy in Australia

Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:24 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Simone82
Yeah, that's usually what we did I think.
I think (so correct me if I'm wrong) that there is a specific type of big fly, which also stings, which is called a Blow fly. But I have no idea if that's an official name, and I can't be bothered looking it up right now.
I'm sure somebody knows without having to look it up!
Geek hat on....

Blowflies are large flies which normally eat decaying meat. Its the eggs which they lay on the meat which are called the blow.

The ones you mean, which bite, are nasty buggers called March flies. Nasty nasty nasty.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Geek hat on....

Blowflies are large flies which normally eat decaying meat. Its the eggs which they lay on the meat which are called the blow.

The ones you mean, which bite, are nasty buggers called March flies. Nasty nasty nasty.
Cheers Pete just what we needed the dirty little b*******crawl all over dead animals in every orifice etc then onto a turd for main course,then for a sweet they move onto our faces.So for anybody having second thoughts..................!

Seriously though yes that is the one thing that I remember very well swiping the flies away

Last edited by chris hogan; Oct 25th 2003 at 8:35 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Geek hat on....

Ah, thank you! (I don't always think straight! And I have a very bad memory, and am not just saying that, it's true )

I was getting mixed up with March flies.(oh they are really nasty!)

Now it's all clear!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:10 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by Simone82

Nicholls clan: I'm not sure if I understood you right, but some flies can be referred to as blowies, cos they are blow flies, right?
Or do you mean that they call all normal flies blowies too?

Any sort of fly, if it buzzed they called it a blowie, just had a sickly sound to it. I do not know how you would get used to the flies they are just so disgusting, to think they sit on your food throw up then suck it all back up!!!!!! Oh, and thats after sitting on a pile of pooh before that.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:23 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your worst enemy in Australia

Originally posted by downunderpom
I've seen people shuddering about spiders, like the harmless huntsman, and the not so harmless funnelweb and redback, and I've seen people kak themselves at the thought of meeting up with a snake, but I have to say that I'd cheerfully have the spiders and the snakes if I could just get rid of one little beastie -

FLIES!!!!!!

We've just been up to the mountains, planting trees, and there was a storm while we were up there - thunder, lightning, wind, and raining cats and dogs. Typical Aussie weather, as it had been clear blue skies all morning. Lasted for an hour and then back to clear blue skies!

Anyway, just before the storm broke, for that hour before it happens, while you could feel the storm brewing, with the closeness and the eerie light, we were plagued by flies - they try to get in your ears, your nose, your eyes, your mouth.... And you can swat as much as you like - they just come back for more!

I'm surprised that I haven't seen more about flies on the forum, but then I've only been on for a while.

Still - leave me the spiders. Without those little friends we'd be knee deep in bloody FLIES!!
Too right!

Just had my first real fly annoyance. Spent most of the day mulching my mates garden and sweated a lot. They were all over us. But the worst bit was when I swallowed one. Tried to cough it up to no avail. Just had to have a large drink - keep thinking of the tiny fly skeleton dissolving in my stomach - yuk!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:51 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by Pookin
Too right!

Just had my first real fly annoyance. Spent most of the day mulching my mates garden and sweated a lot. They were all over us. But the worst bit was when I swallowed one. Tried to cough it up to no avail. Just had to have a large drink - keep thinking of the tiny fly skeleton dissolving in my stomach - yuk!
God I would have thrown up, the thought of that black furry body, big black eyes and those hairy legs flicking around in my stomach!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:58 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nicholls clan
God I would have thrown up, the thought of that black furry body, big black eyes and those hairy legs flicking around in my stomach!!!!!!!!
Oi! I was trying to forget about that!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pookin
Oi! I was trying to forget about that!
Yuk - all the pooh etc reguratation...etc, I have Psoriasis on my leg and the little buggers just love to land and stay! This is the country for shorts etc but they do not do corked hats for legs!

Yes I was hyped about spiders etc etc and to an extent I still am, but flies.....euck! Summer is a bugger, I am in Sydney but heard Perth was worse - is this true, cause my cousin is never getting a visit if this is the case!

Sun is suppose to clear up some psoriasis, but makes me feel sick when those buggers land on it!

eeeeuuuucccckkkkk!