Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is now the time to go...

Is now the time to go...

Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is now the time to go...

Hi everyone, I've wanted to move to oz for 7 years and finally *should* qualify for a visa. I was planning on having another baby and then seeing about moving afterwards, so probably 12-24 months (it's an employee sponsored visa which don't apparently take too long to come through).

However i've hit an unexpected stumbling block... we are currently renting a very nice house with 6 months on the tenancy agreement remaining (with a view to renewing) and the landlady has very f****** kindly put it on the market for sale without even telling us. Needless to say I can't get to sleep because i'm incredibly ticked off.

So we're now possibly faced with finding another house and moving again...

then I remembered saying a few months ago "There will never be a right time to move to Oz, we will have to make it the right time when we move to Oz", shortly followed by "The opportunity will arise and we will have to take it", we've got a lot of business interest over there and I feel like now is a very good time to go... and I just wondered whether this whole house issue is basically the kick up the back side that tells me to go........

Maybe i'll know what to do when I get some sleep lol, the idea of moving to oz is scary but exciting... I just don't know.

Any life gurus out there ready to help me light my path?

Jen
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is now the time to go...

Fixed term tenancies are affected by home sale in UK? In Aus the inspections are a pain in the ass but they can't evict you.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi everyone, I've wanted to move to oz for 7 years and finally *should* qualify for a visa. I was planning on having another baby and then seeing about moving afterwards, so probably 12-24 months (it's an employee sponsored visa which don't apparently take too long to come through).

However i've hit an unexpected stumbling block... we are currently renting a very nice house with 6 months on the tenancy agreement remaining (with a view to renewing) and the landlady has very f****** kindly put it on the market for sale without even telling us. Needless to say I can't get to sleep because i'm incredibly ticked off.

then I remembered saying a few months ago "There will never be a right time to move to Oz, we will have to make it the right time when we move to Oz", shortly followed by "The opportunity will arise and we will have to take it", we've got a lot of business interest over there and I feel like now is a very good time to go... and I just wondered whether this whole house issue is basically the kick up the back side that tells me to go........

Maybe i'll know what to do when I get some sleep lol, the idea of moving to oz is scary but exciting... I just don't know.

Jen
There is only now, who knows what will happen tomorrow?

If you wanna go then just go and be thankful you have the chance.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:17 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

and I just wondered whether this whole house issue is basically the kick up the back side that tells me to go........
Yes, yes and YES!

(signed, part-time life guru)

Things have a habit of working out if you let them.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:00 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
There is only now, who knows what will happen tomorrow?

If you wanna go then just go and be thankful you have the chance.
what a great post

did you fall over and bump yir heid?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
what a great post

I think someone has abducted the real Vim...
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
what a great post

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think someone has abducted the real Vim...
Ta, without the aid of whisky too

Life is precariously balanced so you might as well give it a rattle while you can ...
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I would go before any more visa rules change and it's possibly more difficult to get your visa.

There's no time like the present and you can have babies in Oz too.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:49 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
and you can have babies in Oz too.
and you get paid in aus for having them as well.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

ZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant future

We have been doing our visa application since april 2008 finally we have a case officer for it and are now on final stages we have three kids aged 14,10,5 we are treating it as a big adventure which we are lucky enough to be able to do,we will kick our selves if we never try and so our commited to doing this and hopefully settling there and it all working out for us, if it does not then at least we gave it a go and what a fab adventure we will have on the way.Just go for it life is to short
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
Originally Posted by ZOE POE
We have been doing our visa application since april 2008 finally we have a case officer for it and are now on final stages we have three kids aged 14,10,5 we are treating it as a big adventure which we are lucky enough to be able to do,we will kick our selves if we never try and so our commited to doing this and hopefully settling there and it all working out for us, if it does not then at least we gave it a go and what a fab adventure we will have on the way.Just go for it life is to short

Indeed!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
Only on PR visas. If it's a 457 or any other temp visa there is no $5000 or baby bonus.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Fixed term tenancies are affected by home sale in UK? In Aus the inspections are a pain in the ass but they can't evict you.
I can't speak for any where else bar WA - in every fixed term tenacy agreement i've had, first condition for eviction was owner selling house before end of term.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Jen
Go!! This is an opportunity and if there's nothing keeping you in the UK then grab it with both hands.

I was planning to have my last child once we'd arrived but he had other ideas and I fell pregnant during our visa app process - I migrated whilst 6 months pregnant and it was all fine Plus as someone else has said visa rules change all the time and if you wait for other things to be right you might find your way blocked by something else. Nothing's ever perfect, just take the opportunities you have today.

Good luck. xx.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Jen
Hey Jen

I would give it a try now before you have children, if you hate it then it's easier to move back. It's also much easier to have a social life without having to find babysitters. And once you have a baby and the family have built up a bond you feel a lot more guilty about moving to the other side of the world!

However on saying all that we moved from Wrexham 5 years ago with 4 kids and it has been the best thing we ever did! The fact is you will never know until you do it and the quicker you do it the quicker you can start enjoying your life wherever you are!!

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.