Your home can be taken from you

Your home can be taken from you

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your home can be taken from you

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm a NIMBY on steroids.

I want nuke power - but as far way from my house as possible!
It wasn't that long ago that you said you'd be happy to have one built next door. What changed?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
How does it work? Say if you have your own home they can make you sell it?
Correct.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It wasn't that long ago that you said you'd be happy to have one built next door. What changed?
Err, maybe I was taking the piss.

I want us to get nukes - just nimby.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:06 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Correct.
At market value? Shit that is awful, so you never really own your house - it is on loan to the government by the sounds of it
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
At market value? Shit that is awful, so you never really own your house - it is on loan to the government by the sounds of it
At whatever the government considers to be its market price. You don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Pass on to friends in NSW:

http://handsoffourhomes.myelectorate...=39&Itemid=126

numbers going up by the minute!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Err, maybe I was taking the piss.

I want us to get nukes - just nimby.
Me too (on taking the piss).
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Resumed. Such a weird term.

The house is going to be resumed.... thats alright, it hadn't stopped.

JTL
The word Resumed started with the Latin word resmere meaning "to take", this then became the old English word resumen, and the French word resumer.

And to think I always said that learning Latin in school was pointless !

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I always thought it was a compulsory purchase, but maybe another word is better?
S
That is what it is called in the UK.

This is the kind of thing that goes on in Spain, you do not expect this is in a country where property laws are based on UK law.

Ridiculous.
It happens a lot in the UK too.
Donald Trump tried to play down the significance of the mass-purchase campaign but said he plans to talk to Aberdeenshire council about pursuing the compulsory purchase of all five parcels of land (needed for his new golf course). http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...esort-scotland
But I agree, it is ridiculous, when for done for private profit. It was different when they did it for the M25, which I remember very well.

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

>>But I agree, it is ridiculous, when for done for private profit. It was different when they did it for the M25, which I remember very well.<<

Exactly. No-one would like their house demolished for, say, the building of a reservoir which would provide water for a city, but compulsory purchase for that sort of thing is unavoidable if infrastructure is to be planned.

But the Labour NSW proposal is to allow compulsory purchase of property which a developer wants to build apartments or a shopping centre on. And there's a long and grubby history of developer donations to the NSW Labour party.

Draw your own conclusions.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:42 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I watched a doco a few years ago about people who bought houses in Spain, and they were then horrified to find the local council could just take over half their land and give it to developers.
IIRC (and I may not have even been watching the same thing as you), a lot of the problems in Spain were caused by problems in purchasing - the people had never had good title in the first place because the resorts/developments had never been signed off on/completed/registered etc. But obviously corruption and dodgy developers were the underlying cause.

This is the kind of thing that goes on in Spain, you do not expect this is in a country where property laws are based on UK law.
Actually, Australian property law (Torrens Title that covers 98%+ of properties) is completely different from both the English and Scottish systems.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Many will know that the dysfunctional NSW government is passing legislation to allow compulsory purchase of private property, not for public works (which in some cases is a necessary evil) but to hand over to developers who will profit immensely by the deal.

Whatever your feelings about the man, Barry O'Farrell - the opposition leader - has set up a protest about the iniquity of this:

http://handsoffourhomes.myelectorate...=39&Itemid=126

and asks all who are affronted by the idea to sign.
Have signed the petition.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Have signed the petition.
I wonder if that happens much in WA?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

It seems a bizarre thing to do with an election only 6 months away?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
This isn't about the greater good of the community, it's about forcing you to sell to a property developer so they can knock your house down and subdivide it or build a block of flats, that type of thing.

It's not to make way for a railway or new road.
It's the kind of thing that really indicates the end of civil society as far as I am concerned. If a person can never feel safe in their own home and constantly fear having their home shredded by someone in Shanghai who fancies destroying a few more villas and replacing them with units, then why should that person care in any way about the state? Why should that person fight for the state? Or even pay taxes?

Governments all over the West are rather forgetting, in my humble opinion, that they are here to serve the interests of the people. It is a worrying trend.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:27 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Property rights are a corner stone of functioning markets. This is an attack on democracy, freedom, wealth and will lead to more corruption. Online petitions are as worthless as Barry no policy OFarrell. I despair as I hear little from him on good governance whilst the Liberals are pocketing cash from developers as well. I would not be surprised to see a hung NSW parliament and a big independent vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.