Your dream move

Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your dream move

Originally posted by Jack Daws
6. If you had 1 peice of advice for a potential immergrant what is it?
Jack
Keep a clear mental perspective of options open to you and of your time horizon at all times.

- You can always go back at any time with head held high
- It's not really that different (language, culture, people) to making a big move within the UK, eg Glasgow-Bristol
- It doesn't have to be forever - gawd, I could even live somewhere like Kiev if I knew it would/ could all be over in 3 years
- Enjoy the experience
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Daws
These questions are obviously aimed at those who have made the move.

Your remarks,no doubt frank will be appreciated

1. Has your move been easier or harder than you expected?

A. Getting here was easy, getting back is time consuming, expensive, complicated and stressful tho.

2. How as the loss of family support affected your move?
A. Disaster at first for my Mother who ignored us for years, really bad as parents got a bit older and heart attacks etc. Noticed lots of UK visitors first couple of years then they wane off due to the high cost and been there done that syndrome.

3. Did you at any time seriously consider moving back?
A. After the novelty/holiday phase, always knew it was not for good.

4. What aspect of your move surprised you the most, good or bad?
A. The all a bit backward thing, still shocks me, attitudes, all very redneck.

5. Looking back do you feel that you made the right move and was it worth it?
A.Yes, we turned it into a brilliantly successful era business wise, plus I knew it was not for good so regardless of where we were I was still me, having a laugh.

A. Do NOT make out OZ is some place that has escaped the problems of the rest of the world, it has not. And forget Pounds, OZ does not pay you in Pounds.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:38 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Answers in the list above

Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:51 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well some fantastic replies, thank you very much.

Some reall food for thought.

We are in the assessing our motives for moving stage and trying to get a perspective on our lifes here in the UK. Cold feet?

Thanks again

Jack
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1. Has your move been easier or harder than you expected?
Bit harder to settle than I expected, but no regrets

2. How as the loss of family support affected your move?
Never really close to my family, though I miss my sister's kids. Miss my mates too - had my best mate over for my wedding and it nearly broke my heart when he left again.

3. Did you at any time seriously consider moving back?
Nope; married an Aussie and we agreed to live in Oz. I'm here for the longhaul.

4. What aspect of your move surprised you the most, good or bad?
Bad -The totally appalling and uncaring treatment from the shipping firms (especially ***** ********) - ship arrived Dec 27th, release from Customs now predicted as mid-March
Good -The speed at which I got a job
Bad - (well, I'm told I always go on about this one) - the lack of choice at the cheese counter!
Good - the fact that I've encountered absolutely NO anti-Pom stuff from people
Bad - cockroaches
Good - how nice it is to be married!!!

5. Looking back do you feel that you made the right move and was it worth it?
No question about it, this was the right move; no regrets, I'd do it again.

Relax, go with the flow, and don't compare it too much to the UK - its a different country, things WILL be different.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:32 pm
Banned

Again thanks for the remarks.

I am slightly surprised at how many of your posts where positive. Sometimes on here it can be a bit depressing and I have wondered why some people havent come back.

I thought it was worth looking at how others have coped with what is undoubtably a very stressfull and traumatic period. Whether or not the move lived up to expectations and if people had any regrets.

The wife and I have had a few discussions over the last week or so, about what we want from a move to NZ. Also if what we hope to find in NZ is available on our doorstep. Like the saying goes "can't see the wood for the trees".

I think we need to talk a little more.