Reload this Page >

Your country needs you

Your country needs you

Old May 6th 2003, 6:25 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Slippers
You are no hypocrite on this. As we agreed, nowhere stays the same and so it is not the same somewhere that you go back to.

I have found Johnson's "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life, for in London there is all that life can afford" to be so true it is embarrassing. As I have said elsewhere, my reasons for going to NZ are more complicated than mere personal desire, but boy do you not know what you have got until you haven't got it.

Enjoy your unemployment and I hope you make the right decision for you. You seem open minded and thoughtful to me and I would prefer that more people like that stayed in London than left cos I expect to live there again one day.

Slippers
"....but boy do you not know what you have got until you haven't got it".

Didn't Dorothy say something along the same lines?

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you Slippers. I hope you do find happiness when you return.

Hot milk and a boring book work wonders for people who can't sleep!

Vx
Old May 7th 2003, 12:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karen and andy
I don't think that we can possibly work any more hours than we do now.

My hubby worked friday 7am-4pm, had a call from work and went back in 8pm-4am.
He also worked 7 days a week 80+ hours per week for the 6 months leading up to xmas. Senior management were so impressed by this that they asked him to work xmas day and the 4 day break, when he refused, Their reply ,you have no f****** commitment.

Plus i also run my own business whilst bringing up 2 children.

Things have changed in the uk, but you can change this with allyour positive attitudes when you come back.

When we are at work we can't spend the whole day on the computer. As most companies now log and track internet traffic.
Plus we don't have time!

So you may say i'm a dreamer but i not the only one!

Cheers

Karen
Australia is a young country it expects people to work longer hours for less pay , my job is an exception its run by the biggest tossers on the planet , who turned $180 million in the bank into a $40 miliion debt .
You will not be laying on a beach all day here either my first job here required a 12 hour day 6 days a week plus a half day on Sunday .
Even in this job I have had to put in upto 14 hours a day until the roof fell in , so now I can bugger about like the rest of the near do wells employed in this sinking ship.

Old May 7th 2003, 12:57 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rainingagain
I find it ironic that people returning to the UK are dreamers and forget about all of it's MANY problems.
Wrong again most of now know its problems are small if put up against the land of plenty.

Old May 7th 2003, 1:00 am
Banned

Originally posted by Roger
Whilst William Blake spoke about building Jerusalem in Britains pleasant land, he never thought that Britain was becoming to look more like Jerusalem with its ethnic mix and racial problems. Could be one of the reasons I'm going. At least I'll be understood at work in NZ.

Australia has no racial problems get real , you Sir are a prat .
Forget its ethic mix which is far more varied than the UK , its got loads of problems start with the Abos and work up.

Old May 7th 2003, 1:02 am
Banned

Default Re: Your country needs you

Originally posted by CROSSY
Were you not a deluded dreamer, seeking the holy grail? Did you not go in search of good weather and beaches, did you not think life will be better when we get to oz??? Be honest now.
Yes indeed I was that it soon turned to being jaded and deluded but so what we live and learn , I was carried away with escaping the chains of Mad Magis rule soft sod I am.

Old May 7th 2003, 4:07 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by AndrewR
er ....where have I done that? As it happens i like vancouver/canada, and I don't comment directly on NZ/OZ because I don't live there.
(whoo-hoo...150 posts!)

It goes against my better nature to get involved in these slanging matches but what the hell here goes.

As you live/have lived in Canada and have gone back/are going back to the UK, I feel you are posting on the wrong forum. I suggest that you limit your posts to The Lounge, Moving Back To The UK or the Canadian boards, as by your own admittance you have no experience to share/questions to ask on the Austraila & New Zealand Lifestyle & Culture or Immigration forums.

I am sure your experiences of migration are both useful and valid, in particular to people who are considering Canada as a future home, but none of the people on this forum are.

Paula
Old May 7th 2003, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
It goes against my better nature to get involved in these slanging matches but what the hell here goes.

As you live/have lived in Canada and have gone back/are going back to the UK, I feel you are posting on the wrong forum. I suggest that you limit your posts to The Lounge, Moving Back To The UK or the Canadian boards, as by your own admittance you have no experience to share/questions to ask on the Austraila & New Zealand Lifestyle & Culture or Immigration forums.

I am sure your experiences of migration are both useful and valid, in particular to people who are considering Canada as a future home, but none of the people on this forum are.

Paula
What is your take on NZ so far Paula?

Slippers
Old May 7th 2003, 4:32 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

What is your take on NZ so far Paula?

Slippers

So far my family and I really love NZ. Our move has not been without its problems but we knew it wasn't going to be all plain sailing. NZ as a country is not perfect but where is? To enjoy the benifits of a country with such a small population you have to acknowledge the drawbacks it can have too, but such is life there is no such thing as a free lunch. I have to say that I have not been in the slightest bit homesick, I have had family visit already Mum, Dad, Step-mum, brother and sister-in-law, it was nice to see them but can honestly say I did not shed a single tear when they left. Our children have settled without any problems, we have made lots of new friends and really feel part of a lovely community in our little town. Money wise we are just as skint here as we were in the UK and my husband works the same amount of hours but we did not expect any different. We live in a much nicer house than we would ever have been able to afford in the UK and we are all alot less stressed (including the kids).

Paula
Old May 7th 2003, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

So far my family and I really love NZ. Our move has not been without its problems but we knew it wasn't going to be all plain sailing. NZ as a country is not perfect but where is? To enjoy the benifits of a country with such a small population you have to acknowledge the drawbacks it can have too, but such is life there is no such thing as a free lunch. I have to say that I have not been in the slightest bit homesick, I have had family visit already Mum, Dad, Step-mum, brother and sister-in-law, it was nice to see them but can honestly say I did not shed a single tear when they left. Our children have settled without any problems, we have made lots of new friends and really feel part of a lovely community in our little town. Money wise we are just as skint here as we were in the UK and my husband works the same amount of hours but we did not expect any different. We live in a much nicer house than we would ever have been able to afford in the UK and we are all alot less stressed (including the kids).

Paula
Glad to hear things are overall better for you than UK. Thanks for the reply.

Slippers
Old May 7th 2003, 5:03 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Paula
Hello,
I appreciate what you're saying, and I don't want to get into a slanging match here, but I would like to point out a couple of things....
first, I think some immigration/emigration experiences are universal...home-sickness for example, so thats fair comment.
second....I have to say I don't think i'm alone here. There are quite a few people who post on forums that aren't directly related to their experience, including a few canuck/brits who post here..possibly simply because this forum is alot more exciting to read than the 'Canada' section!
As I said, this really isn't to get into a slanging match
Andrew
ps have a sister in Auckland, so what I hear from her I will post here....consider that fair comment
Old May 7th 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by AndrewR
Hello,
I appreciate what you're saying, and I don't want to get into a slanging match here, but I would like to point out a couple of things....
first, I think some immigration/emigration experiences are universal...home-sickness for example, so thats fair comment.
second....I have to say I don't think i'm alone here. There are quite a few people who post on forums that aren't directly related to their experience, including a few canuck/brits who post here..possibly simply because this forum is alot more exciting to read than the 'Canada' section!
As I said, this really isn't to get into a slanging match
Andrew
ps have a sister in Auckland, so what I hear from her I will post here....consider that fair comment

As one of the few here who talk about NZ, hope you keep posting AndrewR. Agree about the other sections - the dates on some of the posts make you feel like you have stumbled into some kind of dust-encrusted egyptian tomb last opened when King Tut was laid to rest.

Slippers
Old May 7th 2003, 8:31 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

As one of the few here who talk about NZ, hope you keep posting AndrewR. Agree about the other sections - the dates on some of the posts make you feel like you have stumbled into some kind of dust-encrusted egyptian tomb last opened when King Tut was laid to rest.

Slippers

I used to enjoy posting more frequently about my experiences in NZ but got really fed up with having to justify my comments. I speak as i find, and at the moment I find that we are enjoying NZ. Some people just had to pick fault with that and so I don't bother as much anymore.

Paula
Old May 8th 2003, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to enjoy posting more frequently about my experiences in NZ but got really fed up with having to justify my comments. I speak as i find, and at the moment I find that we are enjoying NZ. Some people just had to pick fault with that and so I don't bother as much anymore.

Paula

And I for one am sorry that you don't!! i 'm sure i speak for many on here that have found your posts honest and very helpful in the past but i understand toally that it is gettting harder to just say what you think on here without feeling nervous that you will come back later to find you have been slated off for giving your opinion!! A shame really, but please don't let that stop you!! Most of us are really grateful!!
Old May 8th 2003, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Paula
I agree with Jajpe, it's a pity if you're put off writing, I find reading about people's experences very interesting. On the other hand, I can also understand you getting tired of having to justify liking it. What I don't understand is, if somebody doesn't like it, have made bad experiences or whatever, why can't they just write about that without having to put down the ones who like it?
Old May 8th 2003, 8:36 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Originally posted by sashimi
I agree with Jajpe, it's a pity if you're put off writing, I find reading about people's experences very interesting. On the other hand, I can also understand you getting tired of having to justify liking it. What I don't understand is, if somebody doesn't like it, have made bad experiences or whatever, why can't they just write about that without having to put down the ones who like it?

Sashimi, Shirley awww thanks guys.

I do feel guilty sometimes for not posting esp to the friends I have made on this board, but I do check the board everyday and lately have been doing more PM's and going in the chat room. Also mind you the more we settle in here the harder it is to find the time.
Confession time Shirley, that stuff I have got for you is still in an envelope in my bag, I WILL POST IT TODAY I PROMISE!

Thanks guys, and for those who don't know me:-

We have been in NZ for 6mths and love it. I don't really want to debate/argue over why we love it or wether we should. I don't need enlightening or help to remove any rosy specs people think I may be wearing. We just love it here and if we stop loving it I will let you know!:lecture:

Paula