Your country needs you

Your country needs you

Old May 6th 2003, 1:26 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Slippers
Vee,

Isn't your philosophy of "forward, onwards...always" rather at odds with your return to England after your 20 year emigration to Canada? I realise your emigration to Canada was not your choice but it sounds like you did choose to revisit your past. Now it seems you are ready to go on to new fields, but is your life then not a good example of it sometimes being better to back up a bit first, and appearing to go back, before forging forwards in life?

Slippers
I knew you were going to comment on that!

Well, I don't know about you but I don't really remember much about life when I was 1. So I didn't really come back to "revist my past". I came "back" to the UK for a different lifestyle and to live my life differently to the way I was living it in Canada. Going forward. Changing. I wasn't coming "back" to try and get back something that I missed or to see if I could slip back into my old life.

I think one should always forge forward in life. I really don't think that I "backed up a bit " at all by moving from Canada to the UK. I only see it as going forward.

Maybe you see it differently and that's fair enough. But I don't see how I would have had a "past" worth "re-visiting".

So yeah, I still believe in "forward, onwards...always". That's all I've been doing for 31 years.

Old May 6th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
I knew you were going to comment on that!

Well, I don't know about you but I don't really remember much about life when I was 1. So I didn't really come back to "revist my past". I came "back" to the UK for a different lifestyle and to live my life differently to the way I was living it in Canada. Going forward. Changing. I wasn't coming "back" to try and get back something that I missed or to see if I could slip back into my old life.

I think one should always forge forward in life. I really don't think that I "backed up a bit " at all by moving from Canada to the UK. I only see it as going forward.

Maybe you see it differently and that's fair enough. But I don't see how I would have had a "past" worth "re-visiting".

So yeah, I still believe in "forward, onwards...always". That's all I've been doing for 31 years.

I meant by revisiting your past that perhaps you were looking for something of yourself in England. You seemed proud to say that you were from London and so I wondered if you also identified with that to a sufficient extent that you felt you had some roots to revisit - this is what I meant by your past.

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 2:30 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

I meant by revisiting your past that perhaps you were looking for something of yourself in England. You seemed proud to say that you were from London and so I wondered if you also identified with that to a sufficient extent that you felt you had some roots to revisit - this is what I meant by your past.

Slippers
All confused now! Gee thanks!!!

Now, I don't see what this has to do with people who leave one thing to experience something better/different in their life has to do with people who leave, don't like and then go back to what they were leaving in the first place.

If one leaves something then isn't it usually because they don't like that something? If you don't like where you live why would you move away and then then, after x amount of years put yourself in, possibly, the same position that you had left in the first place? Why not move to something different again?

Revisiting your routes is fine.....but *only* revisit them. Going back and trying to dig them up and seeing if they were the same as they were when you left them is something totally different.

You can't go back. Nothing remains the same. That's why you have to try and try and try again at new things.

The reason I am leaving the UK is coz I don't really like it here anymore. So I am going to Australia to see if I like it there. I didn't really like Canada which is why I left it in the first place. Why would I take the easy option and go back to Canada just because I don't like the UK?

Did you leave the UK for a particular reason? Or was it just because you fancied a change? If you woke up one day and realised that you didn't like living the life you are living now would you go back to the UK or try somewhere else in NZ or maybe Australia?
Old May 6th 2003, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Vee
All confused now! Gee thanks!!!

Now, I don't see what this has to do with people who leave one thing to experience something better/different in their life has to do with people who leave, don't like and then go back to what they were leaving in the first place.

If one leaves something then isn't it usually because they don't like that something? If you don't like where you live why would you move away and then then, after x amount of years put yourself in, possibly, the same position that you had left in the first place? Why not move to something different again?

Revisiting your routes is fine.....but *only* revisit them. Going back and trying to dig them up and seeing if they were the same as they were when you left them is something totally different.

You can't go back. Nothing remains the same. That's why you have to try and try and try again at new things.

The reason I am leaving the UK is coz I don't really like it here anymore. So I am going to Australia to see if I like it there. I didn't really like Canada which is why I left it in the first place. Why would I take the easy option and go back to Canada just because I don't like the UK?

Did you leave the UK for a particular reason? Or was it just because you fancied a change? If you woke up one day and realised that you didn't like living the life you are living now would you go back to the UK or try somewhere else in NZ or maybe Australia?

You are right, nothing stays the same and so going back geographically is not the same as going back temporally. This is the first law of relativity - "your relatives will never welcome you back a second time", A. Einstein.

I am not arguing you should go back to Canada. Why not give the UK another go? To experience new things, you don't have to keep emigrating surely?

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 2:50 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Roger
Whilst William Blake spoke about building Jerusalem in Britains pleasant land, he never thought that Britain was becoming to look more like Jerusalem with its ethnic mix and racial problems. Could be one of the reasons I'm going. At least I'll be understood at work in NZ.

I always find it ironic that on a site for expats, people who are looking to emigrate see fit to moan about immigrants to the UK. What hypocrisy!
Old May 6th 2003, 3:02 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

You are right, nothing stays the same and so going back geographically is not the same as going back temporally. This is the first law of relativity - "your relatives will never welcome you back a second time", A. Einstein.

I am not arguing you should go back to Canada. Why not give the UK another go? To experience new things, you don't have to keep emigrating surely?

Slippers
Well you are right....why not give the UK another go? Funny I thought that just this weekend. Went to a beautiful part of the country for the b/h weekend and was with friends enjoying a lovely walk in the country side. I have had this thought a few times since starting the whole immigration process. But chances are this will be the only chance I get to try this one particular thing. I don't want to miss out on that. And I may like it. I'm going to give it a fair old whack though. And if I don't like it...well I'll probably be a total hypocrite and come back! hahaha.

You've made me think though. Ta.

Right - off. Today is my first day as being unemployed (quit my job - hooray) and if I'm not seen to at least have done something constructive with my time then hubby will think I'm just a dosser!!!

Vx
Old May 6th 2003, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

rainingagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AndrewR
I always find it ironic that on a site for expats, people who are looking to emigrate see fit to moan about immigrants to the UK. What hypocrisy!
I find it ironic that people returning to the UK are dreamers and forget about all of it's MANY problems.
Old May 6th 2003, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for that. I am often hesitating around the edges of saying it and you had the courage. Cheers sincerely and all the best.

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 3:07 pm
Release the hounds!

Originally posted by rainingagain
I find it ironic that people returning to the UK are dreamers and forget about all of it's MANY problems.

well maybe...though as I still have all my family over there, keep in touch with all my mates there and have been back three times in the last year and a half I have a fair idea of what I'm getting myself in for...
Old May 6th 2003, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

well maybe...though as I still have all my family over there, keep in touch with all my mates there and have been back three times in the last year and a half I have a fair idea of what I'm getting myself in for...
I've noticed that you are quick to put-down other countries. Bit rich when you consider the problems we have.
Old May 6th 2003, 3:15 pm
Release the hounds!

I've noticed that you are quick to put-down other countries. Bit rich when you consider the problems we have.
er ....where have I done that? As it happens i like vancouver/canada, and I don't comment directly on NZ/OZ because I don't live there.
(whoo-hoo...150 posts!)
Old May 6th 2003, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

er ....where have I done that? As it happens i like vancouver/canada, and I don't comment directly on NZ/OZ because I don't live there.
first stage is denial :lecture:
Old May 6th 2003, 3:17 pm
Release the hounds!

first stage is denial :lecture:

feel free to check my postings and draw your own conclusions...
Old May 6th 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

feel free to check my postings and draw your own conclusions...
I've read some which is why I said what I did
Old May 6th 2003, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Vee
Well you are right....why not give the UK another go? Funny I thought that just this weekend. Went to a beautiful part of the country for the b/h weekend and was with friends enjoying a lovely walk in the country side. I have had this thought a few times since starting the whole immigration process. But chances are this will be the only chance I get to try this one particular thing. I don't want to miss out on that. And I may like it. I'm going to give it a fair old whack though. And if I don't like it...well I'll probably be a total hypocrite and come back! hahaha.

You've made me think though. Ta.

Right - off. Today is my first day as being unemployed (quit my job - hooray) and if I'm not seen to at least have done something constructive with my time then hubby will think I'm just a dosser!!!

Vx
You are no hypocrite on this. As we agreed, nowhere stays the same and so it is not the same somewhere that you go back to.

I have found Johnson's "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life, for in London there is all that life can afford" to be so true it is embarrassing. As I have said elsewhere, my reasons for going to NZ are more complicated than mere personal desire, but boy do you not know what you have got until you haven't got it.

Enjoy your unemployment and I hope you make the right decision for you. You seem open minded and thoughtful to me and I would prefer that more people like that stayed in London than left cos I expect to live there again one day.

Slippers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.