Your computer

Old Dec 28th 2003, 12:45 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Your computer

Can anyone tell me thats already in Oz...did you take your P.C from here over and it was all ok when you got there bar changing the plug types...or have you had to invest in new P.c's that are compatable with Oz electricy ect...
Not sure wether to take mine or wether just to rip out the hard drive with all my info and build a new one...
Sorry if this questions been asked before
Old Dec 28th 2003, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your computer

Originally posted by peppi
Can anyone tell me thats already in Oz...did you take your P.C from here over and it was all ok when you got there bar changing the plug types...or have you had to invest in new P.c's that are compatable with Oz electricy ect...
Not sure wether to take mine or wether just to rip out the hard drive with all my info and build a new one...
Sorry if this questions been asked before

Hi Peppi

Just take your kit and change the plugs. Buy a few UK power strips before you come as they are useful for anything with a transformer or where you just can't be bothered to change. When you take the UK plugs off things make sure you keep the fuses and preferrably bring a load with you.

BTW plugs and power strips are pretty expensive here i.e. $4 for a plug and $8 for a 4 plug power strip.

Cheers

Nick
Old Dec 28th 2003, 6:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi Peppi

Just take your kit and change the plugs. Buy a few UK power strips before you come as they are useful for anything with a transformer or where you just can't be bothered to change. When you take the UK plugs off things make sure you keep the fuses and preferrably bring a load with you.

BTW plugs and power strips are pretty expensive here i.e. $4 for a plug and $8 for a 4 plug power strip.

Cheers

Nick
Get a decent surge protected strip to help protect your PC from electrical storms and the dodgy power when everyone starts up their air con on the hot days.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 7:23 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

As a matter of interest, what about the modem? Can I buy a lead that will go from my pc modem to phone socket? I know the socket is different in Aus so my current modem wont work. Plus I have a surge protector here, is it worth taking that as it has a modem point in as well.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 7:53 pm

Originally posted by cherry6
As a matter of interest, what about the modem? Can I buy a lead that will go from my pc modem to phone socket? I know the socket is different in Aus so my current modem wont work. Plus I have a surge protector here, is it worth taking that as it has a modem point in as well.
Your modem will work here but you will need a different lead to go from the wall to the surge protector. It is a good idea to use that or buy a new one here with a modem protector.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 7:59 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Thanks BP, can I buy an adaptor in Australia for the bit where the phone line goes into the surge protector? As the protector only has the hole for the UK size line (if you know what I mean),
Old Dec 28th 2003, 8:05 pm

Originally posted by cherry6
Thanks BP, can I buy an adaptor in Australia for the bit where the phone line goes into the surge protector? As the protector only has the hole for the UK size line (if you know what I mean),
You should be able to get the adapters at any computer/electrical store. The UK plug is the same as the Kiwi one so there are plenty of people needing it.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

I would suggest backing up any important data, onto CDs, before moving the PC. Shocks and bangs can damage the HDD, and therefore loose data.
I brought over 3 computers, and all worked OK afterwards, but you never know

How old is your system ? Is it due for an upgrade ? If so, is it worth selling in UK, and then rebuilding in OZ ?

Old Dec 29th 2003, 7:24 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I would suggest backing up any important data, onto CDs, before moving the PC. Shocks and bangs can damage the HDD, and therefore loose data.

How old is your system ? Is it due for an upgrade ? If so, is it worth selling in UK, and then rebuilding in OZ ?
A regular backup should be undertaken regularly.

Imagine the heartache losing all that data would cause.

I dismantled the PC and brought it over in my suitcase with everything wrapped in static proof wrapping. I left behind the monitor, case, keyboard and mouse as they were all wearing out or belonged to work. It all fired up the day after landing and buying the missing parts.

HDDs are sensitive to knocks and should be packed with great care.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

So what is required i am going over to oz at the end of jan 04 and am taking a laptop with me i know i just need the power travel plug to use for there different sockets there but what about going online.

I think its different phone sockets there so probably i will need a different cable to come from my laptop to the socket or would this be from my uk cable then to oz socket meaning joining the uk phone cable and oz cable together.

would this be called an adaptor just like you would use with there plug sockets.

can i buy this from the uk or is this something that can only be purchased in oz if so where? and approx cost any ideas of well known stores in oz that would sell such item last thing i want here is to go other side of world to find out i should maybe have purchased a travel oz phone cable before i went.

please can someone tell me more about this as i did not think of this till now
Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by brian.w
So what is required i am going over to oz at the end of jan 04 and am taking a laptop with me i know i just need the power travel plug to use for there different sockets there but what about going online.

I think its different phone sockets there so probably i will need a different cable to come from my laptop to the socket or would this be from my uk cable then to oz socket meaning joining the uk phone cable and oz cable together.

would this be called an adaptor just like you would use with there plug sockets.

can i buy this from the uk or is this something that can only be purchased in oz if so where? and approx cost any ideas of well known stores in oz that would sell such item last thing i want here is to go other side of world to find out i should maybe have purchased a travel oz phone cable before i went.

please can someone tell me more about this as i did not think of this till now
Brian
Dont worry, if in doubt take your laptop into the nearest computer shop and you will get the cables/converters you need with no problems.
You will probably get a complete replacement cable from your modem to the OZ phone socket.

Old Dec 29th 2003, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Brian
Dont worry, if in doubt take your laptop into the nearest computer shop and you will get the cables/converters you need with no problems.
You will probably get a complete replacement cable from your modem to the OZ phone socket.
i take it you mean when i am in oz?

would be great if it was available to buy here in the uk before i went
Old Dec 29th 2003, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by brian.w
i take it you mean when i am in oz?

would be great if it was available to buy here in the uk before i went
Sorry, I did mean in OZ.
However, you can get the modular type in UK, but most computer shops carry two types, 2 wire & 4 wire I think. You need to get the right one, the 6 way, 4 wire type.
Then, when you get to OZ, you may need a converter from the older OZ Tel socket to the newer mudular type.

I'd wait till you get to OZ, for simplicity.

Old style Tel Plug

Modular to OZ Old style converter

Old Dec 29th 2003, 5:21 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

system is about 2 years old now so not old not ancient...its a case of cant be arsed to build another if this one will just plug in almost...I use it for so much (looking for jobs/houses etc) and its one less thing to panick about sorting out on arrival because Im sure I shall want something up and running a.s.a.p...but its a worth a thought...