your children?

Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all
Default your children?

do you think that oz will really give your children a better life? and will they have a better future compared to the uk?

scratchey
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:25 pm
ann
Forum Regular

ann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really niceann is just really nice
Default Re: your children?

Originally Posted by scratchey
do you think that oz will really give your children a better life? and will they have a better future compared to the uk?

scratchey
feel like leaving mine here, looming teenage hormoans!

Joking aside yes, the UK is in a mess and the level of education over there is consistant, which is fantastic rather than the frequant teacher training days here then the stress for the kids to perform like pupets to create the panto of the stats, which to be honest is only for the schoold reputation. I think i have wondered onto another topic but ha ho.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I really think it makes little to no difference. What is important is the family they grow up in. One of my kids was born in UK and came here with us when he was 6 months old and the other was born here. When I look at what they have compared with what my friends' kids have, there is very little difference (even though I think the education system here is poor). One of mine has now emigrated back to UK - went for a gap "year" post uni and discovered a wealth of career opportunities and places to go and people to see and isnt planning on coming back 6 years later. He absolutely loves the variety, the chance to go overseas regularly and the buzz of London (although he isnt living in London at the moment). He is doing things that he could never have done had he stayed here.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

scratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to allscratchey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll
No.

I really think it makes little to no difference. What is important is the family they grow up in. One of my kids was born in UK and came here with us when he was 6 months old and the other was born here. When I look at what they have compared with what my friends' kids have, there is very little difference (even though I think the education system here is poor). One of mine has now emigrated back to UK - went for a gap "year" post uni and discovered a wealth of career opportunities and places to go and people to see and isnt planning on coming back 6 years later. He absolutely loves the variety, the chance to go overseas regularly and the buzz of London (although he isnt living in London at the moment). He is doing things that he could never have done had he stayed here.
hi quoll

thanks for the reply. are you intending to come back to the uk? do you miss your child that is back in the uk?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 10:36 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We are back in Oz now my child is 3. I am expecting another any day now. I believe that as a family unit we are having a better life in Brisbane. We spend so much time outside either at the beach or by the pool or at one of the many fantastic parks.

I do not feel education wise that Oz is anything special. At nursery in the UK my daughter was learning here she is simply playing.

Swimming she was on a wait list for a year in the uk here she is going to lessons straight away and loving it.

Jo
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:25 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

yes.

Mine seem happier, certainly live a more active lifestyle and eat healthier.

The are also safer in the neighbourhood we live in now compared to the one in the UK.

As for opportunity, who knows, it depends on the childs outlook and aspiriations when they get older, I think Australia has plenty of opportunities, just like the UK, depends if the children seize that opportunity.

Overall as children they are better off here in my opinion.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
yes.

Mine seem happier, certainly live a more active lifestyle and eat healthier.

The are also safer in the neighbourhood we live in now compared to the one in the UK.

As for opportunity, who knows, it depends on the childs outlook and aspiriations when they get older, I think Australia has plenty of opportunities, just like the UK, depends if the children seize that opportunity.

Overall as children they are better off here in my opinion.
I think my children are happier here than they were in the UK.

I think there is good and bad about both countries, but generally I find that kids have a more relaxed outlook here. They work hard, but the pressure is less in school than the UK. I could debate with people all day as to which education system is better, but my opinion is that it's not better or worse, just different.

I think talent is nurtured more here, particularly within sports.

Rudi
x
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure my children would be happy in the UK BUT they have so much more here. For a start they have me (hopefully that's good!!) as I don't need to work at the moment (mortgage is less and Adam earns more). They also have more of Adam, as he is doing dayshifts and doesn't need to do overtime to bulk up his salary.

There is also a wealth of free and low cost events on all the time. These events are also easy and fairly cheap to get to. There is also a multitude of activities for them to attend within close proximity, places available and affordable.

The weather is more reliable and the parks are numerous with great facilities, we are also next to a national park and a short drive to a lake and fab beaches within 45 min drive. These places are rarely busy and have free parking! We also have five outdoor pool complexes within 20 mins drive for the summer - and again cost is low.

I am very happy with the education so far - but my girls are only 5 & 6.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

scratchey
Definately yes for my eldest. She was 15 when we came over and doing really really badly in school, so much so we didn't bother waiting for her to do her GCSE's. She did great in her new school for the next 2 years and managed to get a good enough result to get into Uni. What she does after that is up to her. She might go travelling and end up in the UK! But we wanted to be in Oz, if we had stayed in the UK she might have travelled and ended up in Oz and we would have been left back in the UK!!!! The other 3 are doing really well in school and have a lot more confidence than back in the UK.

Its a bit hard for people to answer because you might move from a bad school in the UK to a good school in Oz and vice versa.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
I do not feel education wise that Oz is anything special. At nursery in the UK my daughter was learning here she is simply playing.

Jo
This is what I like about Oz...children are children. I love the fact that my 19 month old just plays all day- that is what being a kid is all about. There are plenty of years to learn.

If we were in UK, I worry that acheivement tests at all ages, overwhelm the whole learning process. Learning should be fun and encouraged, not beaten into kids (by constant testing). Kids here seem (to me) to be well rounded possibly because they do get to play for longer....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:35 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
I'm sure my children would be happy in the UK BUT they have so much more here. For a start they have me (hopefully that's good!!) as I don't need to work at the moment (mortgage is less and Adam earns more). They also have more of Adam, as he is doing dayshifts and doesn't need to do overtime to bulk up his salary.

There is also a wealth of free and low cost events on all the time. These events are also easy and fairly cheap to get to. There is also a multitude of activities for them to attend within close proximity, places available and affordable.

The weather is more reliable and the parks are numerous with great facilities, we are also next to a national park and a short drive to a lake and fab beaches within 45 min drive. These places are rarely busy and have free parking! We also have five outdoor pool complexes within 20 mins drive for the summer - and again cost is low.

I am very happy with the education so far - but my girls are only 5 & 6.

Agree with this and Pomsters post, I have more time foy children now so that is a good thing..
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

do you think that oz will really give your children a better life?

No. Oz won't give your children anything. Anything they do achieve will be due to their own endevours and the love and support of their family, much as it would in the UK.

and will they have a better future compared to the uk?

Likewise, our todays when all roled up become our future. What your children do today will determine the future they have, not location.
scratchey
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

scratchey
Not necessarily.
Depends on what they want in life themselves. Sunshine here is great, but there is also alot more to it than that.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rudi
I think my children are happier here than they were in the UK.

I think there is good and bad about both countries, but generally I find that kids have a more relaxed outlook here. They work hard, but the pressure is less in school than the UK. I could debate with people all day as to which education system is better, but my opinion is that it's not better or worse, just different.

I think talent is nurtured more here, particularly within sports.

Rudi
x

Hi, I think Different sums it up. There are great things about Oz just as there are great things about the UK. Yes, it is different in OZ and it may sound silly but it takes quite a while to get your head around that.

I think it all depends upon what life you have in the UK. We had a great life in the UK and spend no more time as a family here in OZ, as we spent lots of time together in the UK. Hubby actually works longer hours here and has less holidays. (More money - whoopee do!)

From a very limited perspective, I would say the education is not as focussed here but having said that as we don't know where we will be in a years time, I have applied for UK schools for my son and have chosen a school that focusses very heavily on learning through play, so my short time in OZ has changed my opinions somewhat. I think its a bit more of a lottery here as its very difficult to get info to compare schools. Its very much word of mouth.

In terms of being outside, yeah we probally spend more time outside but we did in the UK. We just wear less clothes here. A little bit of weather never deterred us in the UK. You have to carry buckets, spare change of clothes, towel and suncream instead of jumpers and raincoats, brollies etc. You still carry plenty of stuff for an outing. Heat can be oppressive and you still spend plenty of time inside.

Kids do seem more like kids here and generally are very pleasant and well mannered, but they generally were where we lived in the UK.

The big difference is support and time on our own as a couple and as individuals without the kids. That is limited big time. You think it won't affect you but it can.

We never lived the life in the UK portrayed in the newspapers /press and had everything going for us in the UK, just never wanted to say what if.

Your kids will be your kids no matter where you live, don't think that has much to do with being in OZ or UK. Its the life you choose to give them that matters. There are plenty of opportunities and adventures etc. no matter where you live.

Conclusion: We and our kids would be happy here or in the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

My Aussie rellies say that when I first came over at age 20 I was so much more worldly and mature than their kids who were all at least 5 years older and had barely been out of the state. I think this is a key difference between Aus and UK kids though the positive side to that is kids do seem more able to be kids here and feel a bit more "protected" and "safe". Swings and roundabouts really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.