Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your Australia Song...

Your Australia Song...

Old May 3rd 2006, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Australia Song...

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I presume this is also for Australians and we don't have to pick just one?

I still call Australia home by Peter Allen (kids choir will do but not as good)
Great Southern Land by Icehouse
Leaps and Bounds by Paul Kelly (Melbourne - sang it at The C/W Games)
Up there Cazaly by Mike Brady (footy)

OzTennis
Yay - Cazaly - love it.....he broke my grandfathers jaw when they played footie together! Haven't heard it for years.
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:32 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

You ready;

Freemantle - down under song - men at work

Sydney - James Reyne (all songs)

Brisbane - Jimmy Barnes -saturday night & John Farnham Age of Reason(1988 Brisbane expo)

Melbourne - John Farnham - a touch of paradise, pressuredown, Kylie- confide in me

Adelaide and rest of capital cities - never bothered visiting the rest
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

How about Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson and Hey Santa Claus or Rooting In The Back Of The Ute??

Real classy Aussie music
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:48 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdt3000
Does anyone have a particular song that reminds them of Australia, or an experience that they had whilst in Australia? I have two...

1. Pure Shores - All Saints
2. Porcelain - Moby

What are yours?

We really like a song called the otherside by breaks co-op ( and it has nothing to do with shopping ).

Have a listen here http://www.ilikemusic.com/home/Break...8d8556a282d82f
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

armorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nicearmorris007 is just really nice

It has to be the one and only Cold Chisel 'Khe Sahn' ...

Only true blue Aussie Sydneysiders (rather than the ex-pat community) will appreciate this one .... but it is truly a classic!

I sadly have to admit I was forever doing it on Karaoke down at Market Street Tavern!

Andy

Originally Posted by happy chappy
We really like a song called the otherside by breaks co-op ( and it has nothing to do with shopping ).

Have a listen here http://www.ilikemusic.com/home/Break...8d8556a282d82f
Old May 4th 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

Does anyone have a particular song that reminds them of Australia, or an experience that they had whilst in Australia? I have two...

1. Pure Shores - All Saints
2. Porcelain - Moby

What are yours?
By the way, just so no one misunderstands, it doesn't have to be a song that is actually Australian, just one that reminds you of Australia...For example, the 2 that remind me of Australia only do so because I remember being so chilled out while listening to them, and usually I listened to them on an Aussie beach! The literal thought that ran through my mind was:

"This is the life..."

Old May 4th 2006, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes - its Australia's C'mon Eileen

It's not MY australia song, just reminds me of Oz
Old May 4th 2006, 7:03 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

i chose my songs

(ours has got to be

tie me kangaroo down
(weve even got it on karaoke)

the eldest likes king karactacuss by who other than rolf harris

janxx)

because when we decided to take the plunge we all got excited me an gaz got pissed and found some rolfy songs and started singin and dancing and the kids joined it it was fab
we do it most weekends now

the kids love it

jan xx
Old May 4th 2006, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

That song 'Kryptonite'. Don't know who sings it, was playing on all the radio stations during our 2001/02 backpacking year and now we live here they're still playing it on the stations!
Old May 4th 2006, 8:26 am
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Your Australia Song...

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
How about Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson and Hey Santa Claus or Rooting In The Back Of The Ute??

Real classy Aussie music
What about "Living Next Door To Alan" by Kev
Old May 4th 2006, 8:29 am
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Your Australia Song...

By the way, just so no one misunderstands, it doesn't have to be a song that is actually Australian, just one that reminds you of Australia...For example, the 2 that remind me of Australia only do so because I remember being so chilled out while listening to them, and usually I listened to them on an Aussie beach! The literal thought that ran through my mind was:

"This is the life..."

Ghost Rider by Rush reminds me of the Outback and Time Stand Still by Rush because when I'm their i want time to stand still.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Shakira - the song she did in 2002.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Right on the money:

Colin Hay was born in Saltcoats, Scotland. He moved to Australia at the age of 14 with his family.
Source.

Partly right:

Malcolm Mitchell Young (born January 6, 1953 in Glasgow, Scotland) is a founding member and rhythm guitarist for the Australian hard rock band AC/DC.

[...]

George Redburn Young (born on 6 November 1947 in Glasgow), is an Australian rock musician, songwriter and record producer.

[...]

Dave Evans originally arrived in Australia from Carmarthen Wales, aged five, and settled in North Queensland with his family.

[...]
Larry Van Kriedt (born in the United States c.1954) was the first bassist with rock band AC/DC.

[...]

Simon Wright (born June 19, 1963 in Manchester, England) is a professional drummer best known for his stints with Hard rock legends AC/DC and Ronnie James Dio.
Source, source, source, source, source, source, source... etc.

Anyway, you get the gist - I couldn't be bothered going through all of them!

As far as I can tell, it's a pretty mixed bag of Brits and Aussies, with a token Yank thrown in for good measure.

Right again:

John Peter Farnham (born July 1, 1949, Dagenham, Essex, United Kingdom), is an Australian pop singer.
Source.

Well... I'd call it a matter of opinion:

Kylie Minogue was born in Melbourne, Australia, to an Australian father, Ron Minogue, and a Welsh-born mother, Carol Jones who had immigrated as a child from Maesteg, Wales in 1955 to Townsville, Queensland.
Source.

I find it hard to believe that anyone with Welsh heritage can sing as badly as she does.
There are 3 Youngs - 2 were in AC/DC the other started in the Easybeats and later Flash and the Pan (Down among the Deadmen about the Titanic). It was Mal and Angus in AC/DC I think (without resorting to Google!)

I laugh when the Welsh on this site claim Kylie as one of theirs.

Are you too young to remember the great Aussie bands which came from British backgrounds? Easybeats, Masters Apprentices (Jim Keays Scottish). Jimmy Barnes is Scottish too. One of the Masters Apprentices became Farnham's manager. Bee Gees, Manchester then Brissie of course.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; May 4th 2006 at 8:38 am.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

"This is the life..."

Then you can add the Manic Street Preachers to my list. Eurosport used it as their intro for the Australian Open Tennis for a number of years so it reminds me of Oz and Tennis.

OzTennis
Old May 4th 2006, 9:18 am
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by armorris007
It has to be the one and only Cold Chisel 'Khe Sahn' ...

Only true blue Aussie Sydneysiders (rather than the ex-pat community) will appreciate this one .... but it is truly a classic!

I sadly have to admit I was forever doing it on Karaoke down at Market Street Tavern!

Andy
Agreed, you really had to be there...happy memories...spent the early 80's in Sydney and Chisel were my soundtrack....along with Midnight Oil and the rest of the Aussie pub rockers...the gig atmosphere was something else ...and of course the legendary Mental As Anything for a lighter touch ..If I was going to pick one track it would be Chisel's "Cheap Wine".....a few of the lines in there really summed up Oz in the 80's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.