Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youngys house build/trinity beach cairns

How exciting! I have my popcorn ready, and will be following this thread for the next year or so.

Good luck with everything!!

Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by youngy73
is your wife ruth and was at it at claires house.
That's the one....
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:12 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billy_NoMates
That's the one....
we are going for beers with bix and da boss on boxing day at the trinity beach pub at 5. come along ,all welcome.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:41 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Interesting thread...we had a drive round there the other day for a look. Hopefully we may see you boxing day....its a bit far for us to come though.....nearly 3 streets!

Ooops! didn't realise I was on OH's account!

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Dec 23rd 2007 at 8:42 am. Reason: wrong A/C
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Interesting thread...we had a drive round there the other day for a look. Hopefully we may see you boxing day....its a bit far for us to come though.....nearly 3 streets!

Ooops! didn't realise I was on OH's account!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:21 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
just got the price for the roof trusses. $15000 for a 400 sqm roof. the roof on the house was designed to be fairly simple therefore minumizing the amount of hips and valleys to try ank keep the cost lower but we did give it a 25 degree pitch because its looks better and will aid with ventilation. that price only includes timber, no crane, no battens, no installation.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:06 am
youngy73

just got the price for the roof trusses. $15000 for a 400 sqm roof. the roof on the house was designed to be fairly simple therefore minumizing the amount of hips and valleys to try ank keep the cost lower but we did give it a 25 degree pitch because its looks better and will aid with ventilation. that price only includes timber, no crane, no battens, no installation.
well christmas is over and most trades will be back to work tomorrow. cairns has virtually been shut for the previous 3 weeks thus no movement on the house. we are waiting for soil test at the moment (was supposed to be done before xmas) but still nothing. its frustrating because until we get the results back the plans cannot be certified and cannot be submitted to council for approval. we also need them to figure out how we are going to to the foundations as the area for the house pad has a slope on it and we will need to cut or fill and build retaining walls etc. the wet season has also started with some significant rainfall so this will undoubtably slow the whole process down. we are not to worried at the moment as we dont have title on the land yet and therefore are not yet paying for it.
The developer had left several large trees (70 foot gums) on the block which had to go so i borrowed a chainsaw this weekend and chopped them all down so i feel there has been a bit of progress. ive got a truck coming this week to cart off the rubbish but the block looks heaps better and i can visualize the house better now all the trees have gone.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:15 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

we are waiting for soil test at the moment (was supposed to be done before xmas) but still nothing. its frustrating because until we get the results back the plans cannot be certified and cannot be submitted to council for approval. we also need them to figure out how we are going to to the foundations as the area for the house pad has a slope on it and we will need to cut or fill and build retaining walls etc.
How far down are your soil tests going?

We went down three holes randomly selected, to a depth of 4.5 metres
finding "traces" of water at 2.8 metres.

Results were "S Class slab recommendation".

I get the impression you have already had plans drawn up before the soil test?? Could the design not be materially affected by the soil results? ie strength of slab have a bearing on room layout or sizes?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Reading this with interest . Love it up there, except for the humidity
Hope you removed the roots when you chopped the gum trees down
All the very best....I'm sure it will be wonderful when finished
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Reading this with interest . Love it up there, except for the humidity
Hope you removed the roots when you chopped the gum trees down
All the very best....I'm sure it will be wonderful when finished
Do you have to get permission first to remove trees up there?

I have a few trees needing removal not on my property but they do obstruct some of my sea view.....

Cash paid no questions
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're supposed to get council approval for chopping trees down (depending on the size of course). Fortunately we've had strange wind patterns passing through that seem to have blown some trees over, roots and all Buggered if I'm paying $200 for some numpty to say no when we've got several hundred trees on the block.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I do know you need permission in lots of areas
In my back garden in Willunga, SA, I had a 50ft River Red Gum tree. Normally you are not now allowed to plant these trees because of the damage they can cause...roots etc.
During storms large branches would fall off and one time I had to get the S.E.S to come out.
I wasn't allowed to have this tree removed because it's girth at it's widest part of the trunk exceeded 2.5 metres...and was therefore 'protected'
I had the same type of tree in my front garden in Salisbury (Direk) but this I was allowed to have chopped down because the girth wasn't as big. The tree removal people told me to drill a hole in what was left of the stump and pour 'blackberry killer' into the holes in order to kill all the roots so it wouldn't grow back....it worked
It does pay to check though.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:01 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
How far down are your soil tests going?

We went down three holes randomly selected, to a depth of 4.5 metres
finding "traces" of water at 2.8 metres.

Results were "S Class slab recommendation".

I get the impression you have already had plans drawn up before the soil test?? Could the design not be materially affected by the soil results? ie strength of slab have a bearing on room layout or sizes?
it will probably come back as an s class site based on other homes built in the area. the engineer will ultimatley decide on the foundations but it will be a raft slab of some type. the plans on here are only really for the layout and the pricing so we could start getting prices together.
i think you are supposed to get council approval before you remove trees if there trunk circumfrence is over 900mm but as there is nothing constructed in the area yet who is to say that the developer didnt remove them. the guy who will be removing all the debris will be digging the stumps out.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:34 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

we paid $259,000 for the land.im a sparky and the wife is a police officer. cairns is expensive.if i got a builder to the whole project for me i would be looking at $450,000 for the house alone. at the end of it we are hoping to have a mortgage for $250000 and it should be worth in the low 7's but as its going to be our home and not an investment it doesnt really matter.
Good luck with it mate, the house looks great, will be interesting to see how it all goes.

when we move into our place (mid Feb ish) will give you a call to get you guys round for bbq, hope the good wife is still surviving her daily comute!

Cheers - Bob
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Can i ask, what size is the section and what size is the house going to be? (as in square metres.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.